Thoughts on 2.0 Manual vs 2.5 Auto

chadcf

:
Subaru Forester
I'm eyeing a CX-5 as a replacement for my 2003 Subaru Forester but am a bit torn on the engine choice. I'm drawn to the car because it like a more modern version of my forester (the new forester seem a bit too bland and large for me), a fun driving small utility vehicle that looks quite good as a bonus. However, I really prefer manual transmissions for the fun factor (I don't commute, no traffic worries) and I'm disappointed mazda is only offering up the manual with the base package. I can probably deal with the loss of features/options on the Sport but I'm worried about the loss of power. Anyone have a manual version and feel like it's slow and underpowered compared to the 2.5? Or does the fact that it's a manual make it more 'fun' than the larger engine?

I wouldn't call fighting with gears to make an undersized engine perform, fun. The difference is more than just 2.0 vs. 2.5. Look at the torque curves. Torque peak of the 2.5 is 3250rpm while the 2.0 is 4000rpm. The amount of extra torque of the 2.5 on low end is huge.

A good analogue is comparing the CRV 2.5L (torque peak 4000rpm) to the CX-5 2.5L (torque peak 3250rpm).
The CX-5 is a full one second faster 0-60mph. The 2.5L pulls hard from a stop. Its fun!

I wouldn't call fighting with gears to make an undersized engine perform, fun. The difference is more than just 2.0 vs. 2.5. Look at the torque curves. Torque peak of the 2.5 is 3250rpm while the 2.0 is 4000rpm. The amount of extra torque of the 2.5 on low end is huge.

A good analogue is comparing the CRV 2.5L (torque peak 4000rpm) to the CX-5 2.5L (torque peak 3250rpm).
The CX-5 is a full one second faster 0-60mph. The 2.5L pulls hard from a stop. Its fun!

That's what I was afraid of :(

I'm also guessing that the odds of mazda offering a manual with the 2.5 like they do on the 3 are pretty low.

I want the manual, but my plan is to also pick up a miata for fun and the cx-5 for marginally fun everyday use. That would make an auto in the daily driver tolerable although not ideal.

The manual CX-5 is not under-powered.

The car is great to drive in all conditions, and extra power would add little to the experience.

Driving around town is definitely more fun in the manual. To beat grandma in her Prius you have to work for it. There is no fun in beating Priuses off the line in a automatic!
At freeway speeds the car does great. It can go up any freeway grade at 65-80+ fully loaded in 5th gear without braking a sweat.

Keep in mind that the Manual 2.0L is almost 200lb's lighter than the auto 2.5L

Famous quote from somewhere (the Miata creator?)
"If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 ain't gonna help ya. I genuinely feel that."

My 2.0 6MT is just fine, it uses miata's short throw stick. Enjoy the advantages of extra MPG, my is averaging 37.8MPG with almost 30K, lighter as mentioned, more reliable in the long run, heck of a lot more fun than auto, lower car price.

Remember a MT transfers 90-95% of engine HP to the wheel, while a AT transfers 80-85% of engine HP to the wheel. So MT is 10-15% more efficient power train over AT.

Love that Sport model, includes dual exhaust pipes, alloy rims, decent fabric, etc.

couple things I miss out on was color choices of only Black, Dark Gray, or Silver. I would have taken Red or White instead if given a chance.

Just got a 2015 CX5 on 9/15. Lease ended on my 2013. Never felt that the 2.0 was under-powered. That may be because among my cars have been a 1982 Jetta diesel with 52 HP, a 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel with 68 HP, and a 2003 Golf TDI of 90 HP.
Having said that I do enjoy the added HP. It will be interesting to see the mileage I will get on my drives from NC to Ohio. Lot's of hills and shifting down on the 2.0. The added HP may lessen all that downshifting. We'll see.

I have a 2.0 manual. it is a slow car, but it doesn't feel all that slow since it is geared quite well and has a surprising amount of mid range torque. The 2.5 auto is still slow, but lacks the fun factor. It was an easier decision for us. Sick for stock, it will be just as slow as your forester, just me fun to drive.
I know I have a 98 forester with wrx suspension (and now engine :) ). What the Mazda really needs is the 2.3 turbo.....

Remember a MT transfers 90-95% of engine HP to the wheel, while a AT transfers 80-85% of engine HP to the wheel. So MT is 10-15% more efficient power train over AT.

That efficiency rating used to be true for AT twenty years ago, but today they are highly efficient. The Skyactiv AT is highly advanced with a tiny torque converter with lockup that only works at low speed, then a wet clutch system takes over. In the city the 2.0L gets the same 26mpg rating for both AT and MT, but the MT rates 35mpg versus 32mpg AT on highway. The 2.5L gets 25/32 mpg so very little gained going with the 2.0L.

I drove manual transmission Hondas for over twenty years and whenever I would rent a car I'd end up with an automatic and tolerate it. I would find the gears to be thinking on their own, out of sync with what I want and often jumpy: going up or down when I don't want them to. So when I'd return home and drive my manual honda it felt like home and fun at the same time.

A year into owning a 2.5L CX-5 Automatic Touring, I don't miss my manual transmission. The automatic in the CX-5 is really wonderful. It's fast and smooth and it's often in sync with the gear choices I want. It rarely jumps around in ways I deon't want. So unlike past experiences, I don't find myself liking the car but hating the transmission. This one is good.

And with that comfort, I can actually appreciate the benefits of having a manual transmission. When I'm driving on rocky roads, I don't have to coordinate with a clutch and throttle which frees me up to concentrate on not bottoming out or steering with more precision in tight conditions. And sitting on a hill, I never have to do that incline ready-set-go accelleration with a manual transmission.

Having said all that.. I test drove a 2.0 Sport manual and really enjoyed that too. It would be so easier for you and me if the Mazda manual were crap like the Suburu's manual. But, it's not.

So you can pay less, increase your MPG, get a manual and enjoy a Sport. Or, you can switch to auto and rest assured you will probably not regret it if you do.

I was battling this for a while, hoping for a 2.5 manual CX-5. I came to the conclusion that driving a lower-powered manual-equipped vehicle is more fun, especially an engine like the 2.0 that likes to rev.
With the Sport MT-6, you can add high-end aftermarket audio (that works much better than the factory options), Katzkin seats (if you want), maybe foglights and come out with a fun-to-drive, good-looking vehicle in the mid $20's.

Driving around town is definitely more fun in the manual. To beat grandma in her Prius you have to work for it. There is no fun in beating Priuses off the line in a automatic!

Yep, that is exactly what I want in a family car, having to work hard just to beat a Prius.

Famous quote from somewhere (the Miata creator?)
"If you can't go fast with 90 horsepower, 900 ain't gonna help ya. I genuinely feel that."

And I'm sure that quote is completely applicable in a small sports car that weighed less than a tonne. In a 1450+ kg, 4.5 metre long SUV, not so much.

Yep, that is exactly what I want in a family car, having to work hard just to beat a Prius.

Understood. On the other extreme, the >250HP Focus ST I test drove was only fun when ripping through the gears at full throttle. There were very few places to do that as triple-digit speed comes quickly. I guess I'm too old for that.

Understood. On the other extreme, the >250HP Focus ST I test drove was only fun when ripping through the gears at full throttle. There were very few places to do that as triple-digit speed comes quickly. I guess I'm too old for that.

Yeah, I completely understand that as well. It is just the 'enthusiast' mentality that bugs me sometimes...... that a lesser outcome from more effort somehow automagically translates into more enjoyment and is a badge of honor. You see the same thing with audiophiles, the PC master race, coffee snobs, etc. where people deliberately makes things difficult for themselves to self-justify their hobby and prove how awesomely elite they are.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here, but there are definite leanings.

I owned many manual cars, and manuals certainly belong in high HP sports cars. Nothing funner than ripping through the gears on a V8 Mustang. I'm old for that anymore, too.

Yeah, I completely understand that as well. It is just the 'enthusiast' mentality that bugs me sometimes...... that a lesser outcome from more effort somehow automagically translates into more enjoyment and is a badge of honor. You see the same thing with audiophiles, the PC master race, coffee snobs, etc. where people deliberately makes things difficult for themselves to self-justify their hobby and prove how awesomely elite they are.

I'm not saying that is what is happening here, but there are definite leanings.

We humans are a odd bunch. I take the long twistey road home so I can DRIVE. Others spend the day detIling, or adding LEDs everywhere, another brunch replaces the head unit for a better connection to something. I own a ATV and that forum has a large following that details there ATV!!!

It's all ok, just diferent.

i was in the same situation as you OP , dont hesitate to get the manual, you will not regret it. this is a rev-happy engine with a slick miata like shifter thats so much fun to drive . it has plenty of torgue, pulls great from 3k to 5k, delivers bossy engine sound and the smooth shifter is just amazing.
it feels like you're driving a fun sporty car, oh did i mention the fuel consumption, im getting 7.2 average mix of highway and city.

i based my decision on advice from this forum and these reviews:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/1206_2013_mazda_cx_5_sport/

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-fwd/

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-buying/mazda/cx-5/review/

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-review-notes

Last edited:
Back