Side Steps from Winesome

zoinks821

:
2013 Mazda CX5
I purchased the running boards or side steps from Winsome China. I have not been able to find anyone to install them, since I am not an auto guy myself. I have just taken them to Mazda Dealer and I gave them everything I could find on how to install them from the internet. They looked at the picture from Winsome and noticed that the brackets I got are not the same as the pictures and they tried to install them but the holes did not line up. The picture from Winsome the brackets look all to be in one piece only 3 brackets. I've got several small brackets. I'm posting pics of the brackets I got; can anyone verify they are the right ones or the wrong ones. I have emails sent to Winsome and awaiting their reply. Thanks

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 305
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 250
OK, Winsome has confirmed the parts are correct but has ignore my requests for instructions on how to install. Anyone have instructions or can give me some kind of help?

Just wondering why you'd need side steps on this class of vehicle? I've seen RAV4s with them but it looks odd. Sorry, I can help with the install either, bought from China with no support is not surprising!

OK to satisfy your curiosity, Not all people are are 5'9" tall or taller. There are people that are shorter and need a little extra help. I personally don't need the side steps, however, My mother is only 5 feet little overweight and has mobility issues and since I take her to doctors appts, grocery store and help with her errands, It would help out to have that little help attached to the car instead of a stool. If you have seen the photos in the forum they do not look odd at all on the car. So why not, but thanks for the no help and I hope that you understand why I like to have them installed.

OK to satisfy your curiosity, Not all people are are 5'9" tall or taller. There are people that are shorter and need a little extra help. I personally don't need the side steps, however, My mother is only 5 feet little overweight and has mobility issues and since I take her to doctors appts, grocery store and help with her errands, It would help out to have that little help attached to the car instead of a stool. If you have seen the photos in the forum they do not look odd at all on the car. So why not, but thanks for the no help and I hope that you understand why I like to have them installed.

Thanks for telling us, that is a great reason to get the side steps. As for the install have you asked local shop(s) to possibly give you an estimate?

I vaguely remember someone installing something like this a long time ago. Unfortunately I cannot find the thread using the search function. On that note, if that is designed to mount into the plastic underbody cover, I wouldn't trust it for anything other than aesthetics.

Last edited:
Haha found it (it's from 2012). Types "CX-5" running board into yahoo and the thread form this website came up. This guy took it too a shop who had the same issue; he actually ended up install it himself wit no drilling.. He gives some insight into how he did it, and it sounds a lot like the hitch install where you have to "fish" the bolt through with steel wire, so you can insert a bolt from the top (area you can't get your hand in), with the nut going on the bottom (that's what I gathered from it, if it makes any sense). anyways this should help. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123819004-Looking-for-running-boards-help!

Thanks for telling us, that is a great reason to get the side steps. As for the install have you asked local shop(s) to possibly give you an estimate?

I have been to several regular mechanics and a couple of body shops, and it seems that they must be intimidated with all the parts, or just don't want to try and figure it out (they don't want to mess up my vehicle), which I appreciate but I would think some one would step up so to speak and at least take the time to try and figure it out. The company (Winsome) does not send instructions on how to install even though they say they do on the website. I even took it back to the dealer ship and they as well seem not to be able to figure it out saying they would need to drill holes. I have been in contact with a member here who did put the steps on his CX5 and he gave me some suggestions with his experience. I'll just have to think about it and see if I can find a auto enthusiast who will be willing to try.

Haha found it (it's from 2012). Types "CX-5" running board into yahoo and the thread form this website came up. This guy took it too a shop who had the same issue; he actually ended up install it himself wit no drilling.. He gives some insight into how he did it, and it sounds a lot like the hitch install where you have to "fish" the bolt through with steel wire, so you can insert a bolt from the top (area you can't get your hand in), with the nut going on the bottom (that's what I gathered from it, if it makes any sense). anyways this should help. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123819004-Looking-for-running-boards-help!

Yes Thank you I have contacted him and he has replied back. Love the color you have, Not a choice I had when I bought mine.

Back