2015 or 2016???

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Howdy All,

Been a long time Lurker, first time Poster.
I have really learned and gleaned so much
information from this forum and all it's Members.

I'm getting close to retiring ( 36 weeks but who's counting (lol2))
and have been wanting to get a new Vehicle to last me through
Retirement.

I'd thought that the 2015 CX-5 was going to have more
updates / upgrades. Soooooo, I was wondering what
y'alls thoughts or ideas are on if waiting until next season
and getting a newer version with hopefully all the trouble
areas fixed and some new additional perks.

This is probably my last car/truck/suv, so needless to say, I'd
like to make the best decision possible !!! I've also been
watching the New Honda CRV very closely, so I'm really having
to weigh my Options closely.

Kindest Regards,

CK

PS Wanting to get the GT AWD with the Tech Package.

Last edited:
Howdy to you as well, congratulations on making it to retirement (close enough anyway), I spend most of my nights dreaming of that day!

In answer to your question it's like anything that gets updated frequently, you either buy now and enjoy it or wait to see if the next model is any better. If you can wait a year to buy the new car then it will go further into your retirement years as well. For me I have no patience so if I need or want a car and I like what is out there I buy it. You can drive yourself crazy wondering what will come out in the future. My educated guess would be the overall design may stick around as it seems rather successful, but you will probably see changes in creature comforts and or trim. Also there may be a diesel option at some point. I would certainly hope by 2016 the infotainment center now offered on the 3 will be adapted into the other modelas as it actually works! But other manufacturers will be changing models as well so no way to tell if Honda, Toyota or whatever company hits a home run with their new model.

I know that does not help much but your question really can only be answered by you, or someone that can see the future.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm getting close to retiring ( 36 weeks but who's counting (lol2))
and have been wanting to get a new Vehicle to last me through
Retirement.

CK

First off, it sucks to hear you are going to retire and I am not :)

When I was looking at cars last year one of the items high on my list was infotainment system with a half decent built in GPS, but even higher up on the list was what I had hoped would be a reliable car that I could keep for many years. My wife's Mazda 3 has been as solid as any Honda so that really helped me look past some of the amenities.

Now that I have the CX-5 and coming up on the 1 year mark I have to say I am very happy with the CX-5. I read some of the issues that others have stated, but I suppose I have been very fortunate. I have not experienced hood or mirror vibration, the seats have been comfortable for 5+ hour trips, road noise is much less that what I previously owned, the mileage is not quite up there with some of the other folk, but I am not going to gripe with an avg of 27 mpg.

I had a good test drive to check out any potential rattles, noise levels, etc. and so far I am as happy now as the day I bought it. I am not really missing the higher level infotainment system and I use my phone for navigation since I like using the Waze app.

You could put off another year, but can anyone really know what they will add and if it will be any better. Like you said it something to weigh out your options. I can only chime in on the trouble areas that not all of us have had the same issues. I really don't feel as if I have had any issues at this point.

Howdy CX5racer,

Thanks very much for your reply and thoughts, I debated about posting or not,
I know how subjective this is and like everything else, there's always something
new and exciting around the corner.

Appreciate it, Take Care,

CK

Howdy Felt_Rider,

LOL< well, after 47yrs of working, I think I'm ready to
see what Retirement is like !!!

I agree with your thoughts, and My Wonderful Wife has had 3 Mazda's and
they have been good solid cars, and very reliable, a few bumps in the road,
but what vehicle doesn't have some trouble sometimes.

I'd really wanted to get the CX5 this year, but was concerned about the
trouble with the info center and GPS, but those are not deal breakers.
I'm more interested in reliability and comfort.

Thanks again, Take Care,

CK

Howdy Beefy,

Ooooooooooooooh, Rocket Boosters, gosh that might be worth waiting for.

I deserved that reply !!! Always can use a good laugh.

Take Care,

CK

Regarding the Infotainment system - Reports atm seem to be the 2015 models have resume on Bluetooth and USB working - hopefully should have a TSB to sort out the 2014 model year soon.

I must admit I'm not overly keen on the stuck on tablet look of the 3's infotainment system - I feel the same about the Mercedes system in the GLA I was considering as well - its probably just me but I prefer to have something built into the lines of the dash.

Howdy Nighthaunt,

Thanks for the reply and information.

I agree, I'm not super excited about a large display,
seems like that would really mess up your Nightvison
and be distracting.

Take Care,

CK

Regarding the Infotainment system - Reports atm seem to be the 2015 models have resume on Bluetooth and USB working - hopefully should have a TSB to sort out the 2014 model year soon.

It sure doesn't work on my '15 (purchased two weeks ago)!
I have seen more than one source say that for '15, the cx5 will have different entertainment center, updated interior and minor external changes.
Note that is not the model year but actual year.
As for the CRV, I have read that it might get a direct injection motor and cvt next year. but that is it for changes.
You'll note that for Honda, real changes occur at glacial speed as the car sells a lot and they don't want to mess with success. Thus, they use the same engine/tranny that came out in '02, the same basic vehicle that came out in '07 (mildly refresh a year ago), you get the idea.
No rocket boosters for the CRV!
As for the '15 CX5, there could be some improvements that are not listed. For example, even though they haven't been out long, I have yet to hear of someone with a '15 cx5 post about their windshield cracking.

Panther - Congrats on the upcoming retirement, well-deserved after 47 years.

Nobody knows about the 2016 model year, but the 2015 model year is off to good start.

It sure doesn't work on my '15 (purchased two weeks ago)!
I have seen more than one source say that for '15, the cx5 will have different entertainment center, updated interior and minor external changes.
Note that is not the model year but actual year.
As for the CRV, I have read that it might get a direct injection motor and cvt next year. but that is it for changes.
You'll note that for Honda, real changes occur at glacial speed as the car sells a lot and they don't want to mess with success. Thus, they use the same engine/tranny that came out in '02, the same basic vehicle that came out in '07 (mildly refresh a year ago), you get the idea.
No rocket boosters for the CRV!
As for the '15 CX5, there could be some improvements that are not listed. For example, even though they haven't been out long, I have yet to hear of someone with a '15 cx5 post about their windshield cracking.

Howdy Katman,

Thanks for the reply and information, kind of makes one wonder
what is and isn't going to be added or taken care of.

Hope things get straightened out for you.

Take Care,

CK

Panther - Congrats on the upcoming retirement, well-deserved after 47 years.

Nobody knows about the 2016 model year, but the 2015 model year is off to good start.

Howdy CX-SV,

Thanks very much, I can't even begin to tell you how "Excited" I am, it's been a long
time coming and we're so ready to start Traveling and Seeing the US and the Rest of
The World !!!

Take Care,

CK

The infotainment unit should not be a deal buster. Are you planning on traveling around the country or kicking back playing a lot of golf locally! We have 20k on ours and the nav has always gotten us where we needed to go. Since some how we all survived without this wonderful technology growing up I am sure you will love it buying it now. Before the cx5 came out I talked my 78 year old dad into by a loaded CRV. Since he has driven all those years he pretty much knows where he's going and never uses the nav! Congrats and enjoy your retirement. Life is too short so enjoy every day like its your last. Besides if you live to be into your 90's you will by buying another car anyway!

Lots of rumours the new infotainment unit on the new Mazda3 will hit the CX-5, so I would wait for the 2016, if that doesn't have it, buy it, cuz it'll probably never come.

The infotainment unit should not be a deal buster. Are you planning on traveling around the country or kicking back playing a lot of golf locally! We have 20k on ours and the nav has always gotten us where we needed to go. Since some how we all survived without this wonderful technology growing up I am sure you will love it buying it now. Before the cx5 came out I talked my 78 year old dad into by a loaded CRV. Since he has driven all those years he pretty much knows where he's going and never uses the nav! Congrats and enjoy your retirement. Life is too short so enjoy every day like its your last. Besides if you live to be into your 90's you will by buying another car anyway!

Howdy Heritage 07,

Thanks for the reply and good wishes, feel like a little kid again about
it. My Wonderful Wife always shakes her head on trips, since I'm like
a little Kid on a Field Trip, seems that's the way I've treated Life !!!!

The Nav isn't that big of a deal to Us, we've been using our Garmin and "Maps"
you remember those old paper things<G> for years. I'm more concerned about
the other features that will make our Travels more enjoyable and reliable, mainly
reliable is the key feature.

So, if it was today, would you have talked your Dad into getting a CX-5?

Thanks again, Take Care,

CK

Burleson, OP...

Right down the road from me.
Retirement it so exciting. Above all else, congrats.

Howdy,

Where's bout's you From<G>

I have a friend that retired several years ago, when I asked her What She Liked Best About Retirement,
her reply was swift, "Every Day is Like Saturday" I told her, You know I love Saturdays<G>

So, have you traded in your Mazda? Looks like a really fast and neat car !!!

Take Care,

CK

Lots of rumours the new infotainment unit on the new Mazda3 will hit the CX-5, so I would wait for the 2016, if that doesn't have it, buy it, cuz it'll probably never come.

Howdy nXt,

Thanks for the information, I'm not really sure I'd be excited about
a big Screen Sitting up there, one thing about getting a little older,
I seem to get distracted quicker<G> and night vision sucks, especially
with people that wear glasses as well.

I was wanting to get the CX-5 before I retire at the first of the year, but
thought that waiting a couple of more months into 2016 might show a newer
more refined CX-5.

Thanks again for the information, Take Care,

CK

Back