Selecting windshield defrost mode for AC/heat

BobF13

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring (Meteor Gray)
I've had my 2014 CX-5 Touring for almost 3 weeks and have just noticed something minor that I'm not sure whether it is an issue or not. The knob that selects the AC/heat airflow location will not remain in the full windshield defrost position. I can turn the knob to the full defrost position, but it returns to the adjacent intermediate position (airflow to floor and windshield) when I release it. It still seems to do the job of defogging the windshield just fine in this position so I'm not sure that it is a defect. Anyone else have this issue?

People have reported here that the knob can be a bit stiff at first, and return one step back. Some say it loosens up with time. Mine was fine from the start. Try turning it back and forth a few times while your car is off to accelerate the break in. If that does not work, contact your dealer.

Same issue here and still does happen even though I had the car for about 8 months now. You could go to the dealer and see if they can do anything about it, though I haven't been back to the dealer since I got the car. Hope it will loosen up sooner or later.

Same problem here I have an appointment on Thursday for first inspection and to check out this problem. Let you know results Friday

Mine rebounds back from full defrost when it is cold, once the cabin warms up a little it will stay on defrost. As BobF13 noted, it does not appear to compromise the effectiveness of the defogging. I rarely even try to turn the know to that position. As soon as you hit the floor/defrost mix position, the A/C engages for de-humidification, and the windows clear right up.

Mine didn't have that problem until last night (after reading this thread). D*mn you all! :D

I found that going backward and forward a couple of times and it finally stayed in the far right position. Felt like the internal flow director 'door' was sticking.

Back from dealer about windshield defrost position problem. All it was a simple adjust of the cable to control flow door.

Checked our brand new '15 and it stays in defrost mode, no problem, so Mazda must have tweaked the adjustment/setup process at the assembly line level. Works for me...

Back from dealer about windshield defrost position problem. All it was a simple adjust of the cable to control flow door.

Ok thanks for the info. I'll get mine checked when I take it in for the first free oil change.

I took my CX-5 to the dealership for the first oil change yesterday. I demonstrated the defrost knob issue for the service manager and he acted like he had never seen that happen before. He said I would need to leave the vehicle for the day so that they could take the dash apart to find out what was causing it...presumably to make the cable adjustment mentioned above. Since it seems to defrost the windshield just fine regardless I elected not to do that. He told me to keep an eye on it and to let him know if it gets any worse.

Back