Seat Comfort?

Kathryn

:
cx-5 gt
I am hoping to buy a CX-5 this summer.. GT with Tech in white! I have gone on test drives a couple of times and have a question for those of you who have been driving for a while. I am wondering if the seats are a bit hard? I am coming from an Audi A6 Avant with wonderfully comfortable seats so I think it might be just the comparison with what I am used to.

I don't see any complaints about seat comfort on this forum, but I'd like to hear from some of you seasoned CX-5 veterans!

Thanks!

The leather seating surfaces do make the seats slightly firm, in my opinion. I happen to like this because I find I am better supported on longer drives. The only thing that bugs me a little bit about the CX-5 seats is the side bolsters, which I find to be narrow for my shoulders. I'm an averagely-built 5'8" male. That is something I suggest that you pay attention to if/when you get around to sitting in one.

Last edited:
The seats in the CX-5 are nice but are not as supportive as in the Audi. I also find them to be "slicker". That is, they allow more body movement in turns and such. This is in comparison with an A3 and A4 wagon that I test drove before buying the CX-5. The Audi's are wonderful cars and really a model of what Mazda should aim to be. How old is your Avant?

The Audi is a 2002 but has low miles. Repair costs are getting numerous and high (typical of Audis as they age) so it's time to move on. This is my 3rd Audi--love the driving experience. But the Mazda is much more economical and the gas mileage so much better. Hope I like the change.

Personally, I love the seats. One of the better parts of the interior. They are very supportive compared to most other SUV's, which tend to have flatter seats with less bolstering. I've been on a couple of ~2 hour journeys in the car, and I have no complaints about seat comfort. My other car is a 2010 VW GTI. It has more bolstering, but, as with most German cars, the seats are quite firm. The Mazda is a little more forgiving.

The GT seats are firm, but comfortable. They remind me of Mercedes seats.

I took mine on a 12 hour trip last fall and found the seats quite comfy. I could have easily sat in it for the entire trip with minimal stops. Unfortunately the bladders of my passengers don't hold out as long as mine does. No complaints here.

I like the front seats, I think they are pretty comfortable. I do like the side bolstering as it gives me the support needed in turns.
For me, the seats are not too firm at all. I took the car on ~4 hour each way trips and felt pretty good when we reached our destination.

The driving position could be better however. When I first got the car I had to tweak the seating position and steering wheel position until it felt just OK. I think the ergonomics of where the hand-rest and distances to the steering wheel and center console are not ideal for me. Both the hand-rest on the door and center console should be slightly closer to the center of the seat and steering wheel should extend slightly more, at least for me. I tried many combinations, including getting much closer to the steering wheel than I am used to, seating higher, lowering the wheel, etc. Finally, I went back to seating far, relative to the length of my arms/legs, with normal elevation but wheel lowered such that it almost blocks the top part of the speedometer.
In practice, I get along pretty good, but not excellent. The result is more arm fatigue than my previous ride. With the seat feeling better on long drives, it is kind of a wash in comfort.

My son tells me the back seat is very good, though he like my wife's car back seat better. He has strong opinions in the matter. I have yet to ride in the back, but stationary the back seat seems very up-right.

I suggest you do a search in this forum for "seat comfort" in this forum. Several people have complained about it.

However, if I were you, I'd try to rent or drive one for a long drive. Every body is unique.

My wife and I have taken two 2600+ mile road trips and one 1600 mile road trip in our white '14 CX-5 GT with tech and I think the seats and driving position are excellent. I rarely find myself fatigued and needing to stretch out like I have with other cars I've owned (98 Passat, 06 GLI, and 09 MazdaSpeed3-current car).

when i get to the point of really wanting a car, i take a book to the dealership and sit in the car for an hour or so.

Great seats for the class, yes similar firm feel to my 02 MB C class, not quite as good as those were.

8 way power adjustable, including 'lumbar support' great for anyone with, or without a bad back. The front of the drivers seat also can be adjust up or down along with forward and backwards, I find the seats very capable. I have leather, with heat -great for those cold winter days. Makes driving enjoyable, you exit comfortable.

Two weeks. Very confortable.

But not like my old M3 with factory sports seats.

Anyway, it's better than average for a SUV.

Cheers.

My wife and I have taken two 2600+ mile road trips and one 1600 mile road trip in our white '14 CX-5 GT with tech and I think the seats and driving position are excellent. I rarely find myself fatigued and needing to stretch out like I have with other cars I've owned (98 Passat, 06 GLI, and 09 MazdaSpeed3-current car).

Wow! I imagine a lot of those miles were on long stretches of highways... how was the road noise inside the cabin?

I drive about double the average, my kids and grand kids are in Florida so 11 hours behind the wheel is normal. I'm 5'10" and 167 pounds. I've found raising the front all the way, lowering the rear and playing with the lumbar during the trip keeps me from getting stiff which isn't easy because I'm 73 and tend to get stiff just watching TV.

I have the heat set on 2 bars, my wife has a bad back and uses 3

I just wish Mazda offered the passenger a power seat, how hard would that be, it's already in the inventory from the RH drive models!

^^ No problem. Make it an ala carte option, like VW does with xenon headlamps.

Seat comfort is subjective. However, I think that Mazda did a ton of research on them. They are firm but that makes for more comfortable long trips. Also, it feels like the foam is tuned with the suspension. When you hit a good bump, you can feel the seat bottom start to collapse.
I think the side bolsters will make for harder entry/exit, like when you are doing errands around town. The top feels a bit narrow for me but I think they made it wider, there might not be enough room for both seats or they'd have to take out the armrest/console.

Back