Here's what an unemployed engineer does to his CX-5 sport!!!

psistolic

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 MT sport
Hello!
I'm a long time lurker here, and have only posted a handful of comments, but have never created my own thread... ever!
But, this time, I think I finally have something to share.

Skip this mumbo jumbo if you just want to see the pics below, but for those that are curious, here's a little background info:

I joined my friend at his small start up company 3 years ago, but due to overwhelming market factors, we ended up cutting our losses and closing up shop after a paltry 1.5 year stint!
Instead of going right back into my industry and getting another desk job, I decided to prolong my unemployment by picking up some skills that I've always wanted to learn, but never had the time to.
I emptied my 401K early (penalty included!), and used those funds to buy a decent TIG welder, a mini lathe, and a mini mill.
Ordered a bunch of machining and welding books from amazon, and queued up a sh*tload of youtube videos.
Fast forward a year later, and I can say that I've got a pretty decent amount of shop time with these machines!
So, in order to test out my skills, I decided to chalk up a design project using my own 2013 CX-5 sport (this is the bare minimum you can get! paid $21k, manual tranny and the crappy stock stereo)

The stock audio system really sucked, so first mod was to tear out the entire system, head unit and all 4 door speakers.
I went with an Infinity 6.5" component system to replace all 4 doors.
Front tweeters are mounted in the stock speaker blanks on the dash.
The rear tweeters are mounted on the B pillar trim.
These are powered by a 4 channel Alpine amp (mounted under the passenger seat)
Door speaker signal is passed through a Clarion graphic equalizer (mounted next to the driver seat)
The reason I went with an equalizer is because this particular model allows for an Aux input where the gain can be independently adjusted (I hooked up a bluetooth receiver for this input, so that I can now have handsfree phone calling through the audio system)
The low end is taken care of with a Pioneer 10" flat sub, powered by it's own dedicated alpine mono amp (both are mounted under the driver seat in a custom sub box that barely meets the sealed air volume specs for the woofer!)
I wanted to clear up the space where the stock head unit sits for some of my electronics projects, so I separated the faceplate from my kenwood headunit by soldering three sets of network cables to interconnect between the face and body.
This allows the faceplate to be mounted up in the ceiling, and the head unit body can be tucked away under the passenger seat (the unit has a front usb input, so I have a 32gb drive with all my songs, and have no need to use the cd player)
The reason for freeing up the stock head unit space in the dash will become clear below.
A PAC steering wheel button controller is used to retain the audio control buttons on the steering wheel with my aftermarket Kenwood unit (no need to reach up to the head unit to change tracks).

Now the seat!
I have always loved the feel and support of a race bucket seat, so I just had to have one in my daily driver!
As you should know, there is absolutely zero aftermarket companies that will make a seat bracket to mount a bucket seat in this CUV, I guess I'd just have to make one on my own!
Since seats are a safety item, I over-engineered the design, and my paranoia caused me to over-weld the bracket joints, and spec'd out tubing that was stronger that it needed to be.
In the end, the seat bracket ended up weighing more than the seat itself! no regrets though, I didn't want to compromise my safety.
All the bolts used to hold the seat to the bracket, and the bracket to the floor were high tensile strength socket head cap screws.
I welded on a grab bar next to the door, this way getting into the bucket seat is pretty easy by first supporting my body weight while grabbing onto this bar.
Those that have gotten into a race bucket seat will know what I'm talking about here!!!
Disclaimer: I'm not racing my CX-5, I know a bucket seat has little purpose for this car, this is simply just a way to make driving a lot more fun.
The stock seat belt can be used becauses this particular seat has through holes on the side, which allowed me to pass the seatbelt through, so that the lap belt is still in full contact with my waist.
I absolutely did not want to install a racing harness since I still wanted to retain the ability to turn and look behind.
Since this is my daily driver, and will be seeing hour long drives through traffic to get to work, I wanted the seat bottom to be more cushy, so I sewed a little butt padding, and then two lumbar support pads that are velcro'd at the back.

So, what's with the shift knob?
After installing the bucket seat, I noticed that the aggressive side bolsters made shifting a bit uncomfortable when pulling the lever back, where my elbow would hit the side of the seat.
In order to correct this, I had to offset the entire knob forward by about 2 inches.
By cutting off the threaded portion of the shift lever, I was able to machine an adapter block, and then make a new knob that sits at the end of this.
After some trial and error, what you see in the picture is pretty much a perfect fit for me.
The shift knob itself is machined out of a solid aluminum block, the top portion is a solid piece of delrin also machined to create the round surface.
Delrin is an extremely durable plastic, it won't heat up during summer, and works well against surface wear (the surface is very smooth, which is also why this material is commonly used as bearing surfaces in industry)

If you notice the knob also has a collar with two buttons (black momentary tact switches), these are hooked up with internal wiring that runs up into the stock stereo dash area.
There is a microcontroller (Atmel ATmega168p - the same controller used in many of the Arduino boards) that takes the button signals as inputs, and controls the turn signal in the car.
A single button click will initiate a flash to pass sequence that will keep the turn signal on for 3 seconds, during a lane change.
A double button click will hold the turn signal for a complete left or right turn.
An accelerometer is also hooked up to the microcontroller to read lateral and forward g forces, when a predetermined lateral g is detected, the controller will then conclude that I have completed the left or right turn and shut the turn signal off.
The data is displayed in the LCD screen hud at the center of the dash.
The hud is mounted above the center speaker grill, so this mod is not permanent as this piece of plastic is a $10 replacement part from mazda.

The two gauges I used display the Coolant temperature and oil pressure (I never liked how new cars did away with the analog gauges for water temp and oil pressure).
These particular gauges (Autometer pro comp) have a logic output so that you can take setup warning lights when the temperature gets too high, or oil pressure too low.
I have them hooked up to a few LEDs that run along the perimeter of the LCD display (you can see the red lit up since my engine is not on, and the oil pressure is at zero)

And lastly, the phone mount in the center of the dash provides a convenient location in case I need to use GPS or to just take calls (using a Kinovo bluetooth interface)
The mount is simply the belt clip that came with my phone case, riveted onto a piece of ABS plastic.

And, that's all folks!
Sorry for the long long read, just though I'd provide as much info to accompany the pictures below.
I created this thread because I lacked a creative outlet while working on this project these past few months, and I hope I can throw something a bit fresh and unique into this forum.
Also, because I start my new job in a week, and wont be able to finish the other items on my to-do list for this car until later.

Hope you enjoyed it!
Thanks!

Bucket Seat in a CX-5!
_BD31391.jpg

Driver side seat removed:
_BD31358.jpg

Seat bracket, sub box, and mono amplifier:
_BD31362.jpg

Shift knob, with my own custom sewn boot, yes... I did learn how to sew during my unemployment as well =]
_BD31366.jpg

Shift knob, left button:
_BD31368.jpg

Shift knob, right button:
_BD31390.jpg

Tweeter mounted on the B pillar:
_BD31376.jpg

Under the passenger seat, pretty much an exact fit!
_BD31378.jpg

Back of the passenger seat, head unit body mount:
_BD31379.jpg

LCD info display:
_BD31382.jpg

Heads-up Display, housing made out of ABS wrapped with vinyl fabric:
_BD31388.jpg

Back of the Driver Seat:
_BD31383.jpg

View from the back seats:
_BD31384.jpg

Head unit faceplate mounted in the ceiling sunglass cubby:
_BD31387.jpg

Coolant temperature, and Oil pressure gauges:
_BD31389.jpg

Phone mount:
_BD31392.jpg

Wow, that's some dedicated engineering. I'm going after performance mods myself. That's a good use for the sunglasses holder; all it does is rattle even when empty LOL.

Wow, PSISTOLIC! I had to log in and say that is some awesome customization, truly one of a kind, I'm digging it.
Keep modding and sharing with us!

That's what happens when an engineer has to much time on his hands. :)
Congrats on getting a job.

I assume you are a mechanical engineer? If so, I have a question.
Can you spec out a bolt 1/2" longer than factory bolts that bolt down front of drivers seat? I want to put 1/2" spacer under two front bolts to make seat a little more bucket like. I have been hesitant because I have no idea of the tensile strength of factory bolts.

All I can say is I'm glad you got a job so you can't do any more egregious harm to that innocent Mazda!

Funky dogleg shifter. Wish you had done some go-fast parts to the CX-5 though. Like a true CAI with a billet MAF housing flow tested by SolidWorks and some good mandrel bent piping to the front fog light area.

Thanks for the comments!

I assume you are a mechanical engineer? If so, I have a question.
Can you spec out a bolt 1/2" longer than factory bolts that bolt down front of drivers seat? I want to put 1/2" spacer under two front bolts to make seat a little more bucket like. I have been hesitant because I have no idea of the tensile strength of factory bolts.

CC58 - my background is actually electrical, but I've always felt a void since I love the mechanical side of the world so much!
In response to your question about bolts, I cannot give you any advice, as I don't believe I have the expertise to provide you with a suggestion since we're talking about an item integral to your safety.
The only reason I can do all the things I did to my seat is that I'm the only one that will be driving this car, and if anything happens or breaks during an accident, it's all on me.
Which is why the passenger seat remains fully stock!
Also, keep in mind that the seat rails are designed to be mounted to a flat interface on the floor board of the car.
I would advise against adding any height only to the front, as this would create an angle where the rails meet with the floor mount.
Which can then potentially break the latching system in the rails.
Also, by adding washers as spacers, there can be a potential to cause the bolt to shear during high impact, since the bolt head is now sitting higher off the floor board, the torque during an impact is now increased due to the extra height.
Really, an adapter should be used instead of just washers.
this is just my opinion though!

paris1
All I can say is I'm glad you got a job so you can't do any more egregious harm to that innocent Mazda!

paris1 - hahah, you probably wouldn't believe me if I said that I could return everything back to fully stock if given a day or two of work!
I bought a duplicate of every part that I cut through mazda. A brand new shift lever is sitting in my garage in case I ever need to put the stock shift knob back on.
It looks crazy, but it was carefully planned!

SayNoToPistons
Funky dogleg shifter. Wish you had done some go-fast parts to the CX-5 though. Like a true CAI with a billet MAF housing flow tested by SolidWorks and some good mandrel bent piping to the front fog light area.

SayNoToPistons - My previous car was a subaru, the go fast parts would definitely take priority if I still had that car!
In fact half the parts in this car were recycled from the subie!
I got the cx5 because of the good gas mileage and cargo space, so any mods will take those as priority for me.

Interesting.
You could do a counter boar for that bolt that holds your shifter to the original shifter rod and lose that washer.
I'm a machinist and I'm in socal also.
Seats don't have airbags?
Since you are electrical engineer, you never considered a carpc in your car? Dual core miniitx, SSD, Windows 8, wif-fi, BT, HD radio adapter, Centrafuse GUI, smart DC-DC power supply. Later on, can be added other features, like controlling windows, A/C, etc.
I have one build, but I have never installed it in yet, in any of my cars. I'm leaning toward a DD Kenwood unit.

Last edited:
Interesting.
You could do a counter boar for that bolt that holds your shifter to the original shifter rod and lose that washer.
I'm a machinist and I'm in socal also.
Seats don't have airbags?
Since you are electrical engineer, you never considered a carpc in your car? Dual core miniitx, SSD, Windows 8, wif-fi, BT, HD radio adapter, Centrafuse GUI, smart DC-DC power supply. Later on, can be added other features, like controlling windows, A/C, etc.
I have one build, but I have never installed it in yet, in any of my cars. I'm leaning toward a DD Kenwood unit.

Awesome to meet a local machinist!
I really can't call myself one, still a newbie! But it's definitely in my blood now!
That counter bore was something that I regret not doing only after I finished the adapter and put it together.
I didn't have the foresight to see how ugly it would look until I finally put it together.
The other problem with my mini mill is that the z axis is not raised with a traditional knee like on a large bridgeport, instead it's more like a drill press rack that runs up the column, so there's a lot more play when trying to mill in the z direction.
What ends up happening when I use a center cutting end mill to mill a depth is the entire head is "pulled" down into the material which catches the aluminum, and I over torque the motor and it trips.

Any advice on what I may be doing wrong? Is there any way around milling in the z direction on a mini mill?

The seat has a side airbag that I'm willing to give up, and I had to use a bypass resistor to keep the airbag light from turning on.
Just a compromise on my end to have a seat I want with this car!

I actually have always wanted to install a carputer, and attempted to do so with my last car, but ever since phones became almost an equivalent to a pc, I decided to just scrap the carputer idea.
There's no boot time involved, and no need to have a powersupply as well, plus the phone is always connected online and gps is always ready to go.
During the year, I also learned to program some android apps, and future projects would be to create an app that would communicate via bluetooth between the phone and the microcontroller to do thing like what you mentioned.
But that'll be for another day far far down the line.

I'd like to see your setup when you decide to install it!

You could try a smaller end mill first or even a drill and then use the final end mill for a much smaller cut.

I really like the head unit setup. With our stock head units having no RCA out, it makes installing an amp a pain.

Nice work

Decided to tackle this little nuisance today...

Had some free time today, so I decided to solve this well known CX-5 issue:
Those two stupid head rests in the back seat that end up blocking way too much of the rear window.

The center head rest is a good height, but for some reason, Mazda decided to make the distance between the mounting shafts different on the center headrest and the two side headrests, so they are not directly interchangeable.

I ordered two extra center head rests from Mazda, cut one of the shafts off, then machined an adapter plate to offset it so that it'll end up fitting into the outer seat head rest tracks.

Here's a before and after picture showing just how much of the rear view is blocked:

HeadRest.jpg

And this is the adapter that made this possible:

2014-03-27%2017.45.29.jpg

2014-03-27%2017.45.52.jpg

There is an aftermarket solution to the high rear headrest problem. A company called JDM makes low profile headrests for CX-5, but believe they are located in Japan. Not sure, but have seen pics of them in other parts of this forum. Search for JDM and you'll see it.

There is an aftermarket solution to the high rear headrest problem. A company called JDM makes low profile headrests for CX-5, but believe they are located in Japan. Not sure, but have seen pics of them in other parts of this forum. Search for JDM and you'll see it.

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market it's not a company. The headrests are made by Mazda, but only being offered/sold in their home country.

I would like to see the people faces at the dealership, when you drop off your car for service.

I didn't know mazda actually had a shorter version available, and why wouldn't they let us have it here in the states???

tibimakai
Nice job. How much did you pay for the headrests?

The center head rests were really expensive, I got them at the dealership for $45 each.
What I used to do was take the head rests out and leave them in the hatch area, and then install them when I had passengers.
I did this enough times to get sick of it, and justify paying for them.

But I wonder if taller passengers would probably then complain about the head rests being too short if they were switched out?

and yes, tibimakai, I could have probably also counterbored out those screw holes again to make them flush, but this time it was just physically impossible to fit an endmill holder + endmill since the work piece had to be drilled lengthwise up.
I'll attempt it the next opportunity I get!

I would like to see the people faces at the dealership, when you drop off your car for service.

Hahah, I'm hoping that I don't have any catastrophic engine failures during the warranty period, since I usually do the typical maintenance and most repairs myself.
But yes, if the engine ever fails and I can't figure it out, then I'm thinking I'll be spending some time putting the stock seat back in before taking it to the dealer!

Back