2014 CX5 2.5 fuel econ horrible

VanguardX

:
CX-5
I have a 2014 touring with all the options available. Although I regret not going to the grand for the wheels and heated leather seats.

Anyway,

My gas mileage over the 5000 miles Ive driven the car is a horrible 21.4 MPG. When I manually calculate each tank, its really like 20.8.

How is every review saying this car gets great gas mileage when my buddies V6 grand cherokee, full time AWD and much heavier+ larger motor reads 19 MPG over 7K miles. My driving is mixed, 50 city 50 highway in NY, where even highway driving is not so pleasurable. But this, this average is even below the full time city quote.

Is there something wrong with my engine? I plan on going in for the first 7500 mile service the book says in 2 months or so.

Other annoyances with the car are:

Right side of dash by passenger rattles over tiny road imperfections.

Engine randomly shakes the entire cars when idling. Its very faint, but I notice it.

This gas mileage is deplorable for a "skyactiv" engine that talks about fuel economy all the time.

I also have a 2014 touring 2.5 and consistently get 28+ MPG on the dash read-out and by calculation for my local driving. I this in winter snow driving? Are you measuring in US mph?

I live in NY...I would hope its US mph.

I see you live in Florida, theres not much traffic and tons of open highway perhaps?

Our highways are like your streets here in NY. You really cant get up to 55 while commuting.

i am getting 10/100 km equivalent to 23.5 mpg (us) in Canada. Not really happy but need to consider extreme weather too. -25C on average. Any similar experiences from Canadians or US states having similar weather?

I have a 2014.5 CX-5 and my mileage has ranged from a high of 30 to a low of 20. The temperatures and how much you idle will have a dramatic impact upon your MPG. Do you have a remote start? Don't use it. Really. It absolutly kills you MPG. Letting your car idle for 10 minutes will drop your MPG by up to 1 MPG.

Do you do lots of short drives? Again, it will kill your MPG.

The biggest thing is how you drive. Set the display to your current MPG and drive by that.

I have a 2014.5 CX-5 and my mileage has ranged from a high of 30 to a low of 20. The temperatures and how much you idle will have a dramatic impact upon your MPG. Do you have a remote start? Don't use it. Really. It absolutly kills you MPG. Letting your car idle for 10 minutes will drop your MPG by up to 1 MPG.

Do you do lots of short drives? Again, it will kill your MPG.

The biggest thing is how you drive. Set the display to your current MPG and drive by that.

I got 30 mpg (29.8) at interstate speeds (75-85) on a recent trip...my mpg is usually hi 20's.

Our highways are like your streets here in NY. You really cant get up to 55 while commuting.
and you're doing city/hwy 50/50. Why are you stretching your service intervals to 7500 miles? You're the perfect candidate for schedule 2 (5K miles) service intervals.

I've done about 270KM so far. Not even halfway through my first tank and I'm averaging the 9.8L/100KM (24MPG) according to the dash. I've estimate 40/60 (city/hwy) driving. I was concerned with my Mazda 5 2.5L as well however, after the first oil change and a bit, around 8,000KM, I saw 8.4L/100KM (28MPG), sometimes more. It will improve, engine break-in and clean oil helps. I'll be patient. :)
...and anything is better than the HEMI 5.7L with MDS I just got rid of, got about 13L/100km (18MPG) and I was very light on the pedal to get even that!

The CX-5 can do wonders even in 35-45 MPH, as long as there is no repeated complete stops followed by acceleration.
I believe my 2.5L AWD is capable of > 35 MPG in these situations, even better if the instant MPG gauge is to be believed.
Complete stops followed by acceleration kills my MPG, so do short trips and low temps.

I guess NY is to blame with all the stop lights and signs and heavy traffic. NY City driving must not be normal city driving and NY hwy driving is normal city driving lol

Reducd your unsprung wait and get good tires.

I was feeling pathetic for a while. Fought so hard over pricing and got a 2014 cx.5 AWD GT with 19 inch wheels.

Did a swap out. Late winter setup. Got rid of 19 inch wheels and tires.

Got 17 wheels + nokian 215/x/17 WRG4 tires. Results were unbelievable.

I used to get around 22 MPG ( average) in Boston winter.

Now I get 28 easy ,without sweating out . O.K i admit it's warming up a little.

Best I got in 100 miles round trip in mixed driving is 33.4, by cluster, watching by foot.

My evil theory is that :

1) Winter fuel sucks. Well , all knows that.
2) Get rid of unnecessary unspung weight.
3) Ge good fuel - Shell/mobil
4) Drive like a sheep ( Hey my primary car is X3)
5) Learn to coast
6) Be patient.
7) Wish for warmer weather,

Cheers

I guess NY is to blame with all the stop lights and signs and heavy traffic. NY City driving must not be normal city driving and NY hwy driving is normal city driving lol

When I commute deep into the NYC (Manhattan, BQE, 678, etc) with plenty of city mileage which I have to mash the pedal to keep assholes from cutting me off. I have no doubt that I would venture into the mid 20's at best. Far from my recorded average of 31+ MPG in 15,000 miles. Consider that average of 30% Brooklyn city, and 70% LI highway.

I used to commute almost daily to and from Manhattan from Brooklyn via the BQE, FDR, and into midtown. My Infiniti was rated 14/19 city/hwy. I got a whopping 12mpg on the daily with that commute.

Having driven in Boston, LA, and SF. I don't think there are any cities in North America that can match the horrid driving experience of NYC.

i am getting 10/100 km equivalent to 23.5 mpg (us) in Canada. Not really happy but need to consider extreme weather too. -25C on average. Any similar experiences from Canadians or US states having similar weather?

Yeah, I've been getting about 10/100 too in this freezing weather. The Skyactive motor is only efficient once it gets warm, so longer periods of cold running makes for bad millage. Last summer I was around 7.5 to 8/100, so expect better numbers when the weather improves in a few months.

Do you reset the MPG when you fill up or is this what it say after 5,000 miles? if it overall I would reset it and see what you are getting now.

I've been taking a big hit with the cold and crappy winter gas too. I think for the past month I can't even get 30 when in the warmer weather on this same commute I could get 32 pretty easy. Stop and go driving kills the mileage too. I've driven in NYC a few times; it's an experience I will pay my way out of just to avoid it at a high cost. Boston is right up there too during rush hour; what normally takes me 50 minutes to commute can be an easy 3 hrs during rush hour.

Just fueled up today and got 30.7mpg on my 2014 Touring AWD.. Usually get high 20s, but sometime low 20s during road trip to Vegas.

2700 miles, so far I'm averaging 24.77 MPG. Extremely dissapointed in my mileage! I do mainly highway driving at 65 MPH.
I had a low of 22.2 and a high of 26.9 MPG.
My Highway/city driving is about 90/10.

My Golf R war rated at 27 Highway and I easily got 29-30 out of it when steady highway driving with a best of 33+.
I got this CX-5 thinking that as it was rated at 30 I should be able to squeeze out 33 quite often.

I gave up a LOT of HP and great mileage for what feels like no horsepower and crap fuel mileage.

So far, not a happy camper with this car.

When summer finally gets here this thing better get a LOT better mileage!

I do not have AWD...

I do get in the 30's on the hwy...my last tank (combined driving) had me at 28 mpg.

This car is especially sensitive to how much foot you put on the pedal...The 1st several gears are mpg killers so stop and go will really hurt mileage.

I do not commute to work and thus am not caught in stop and go traffic much.

Back