Would Overfilling ATF Cause ATF Smell in Cabin?

PeterMazda5

:
2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Sorry for the double-post -- I've put this in the transmission sub-forum, as well.

I recently replaced the ATF in my '08 5, using the technique one of this forum's members suggested -- pull off one of the hoses from the tranny cooler, attach clear hose that runs to bucket, and cycle the old fluid out and new ATF in until the fluid runs clear. I also replaced the filter, which included in its kit a gasket for the pan (OEM was simply some sort of sealant / gasket-maker). Having done all of this, I now have a small ATF smell that's sometimes stronger than at other times.

Specific to the gasket, the ATF filter kit indicated a layer of some specific type of grease should be applied before mating the gasket to the pan and tranny. I didn't have any such grease on hand and had to get the car done quickly, so I assembled everything without the grease. Would not applying this grease to the ATF pan gasket possibly cause a slow, imperceptable leak?

I don't see any big leaks at the pan, drain plug or hoses, but I do know that I SLIGHTLY overfilled the fluid. I've heard there's an ATF overflow hose that releases any overflowing fluid near the firewall. If the ATF is filled beyond spec, will it flow out through this overflow hose?

I'm hopeful overfull ATF is my my problem -- simply corrected if so by extracting some of the excess fluid. If that ISN'T the source of the leak, my only other thought would be the ATF pan gasket, and the only fix to that is to drop the pan and re-seal it correctly. I REALLY don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

Thanks, all. This is my first forum post, so be gentle with me!

Cheers.

--Peter
Woodstock, GA

Back