Penny for your thoughts? Considering trading CX-5 for new Mazda3

danieljw

:
2014 CX-5
First, I know this is a personal choice and one that is ultimately up to me. I just feel like the new Mazda3s offer everything the CX-5s do, with a better MazdaConnect interface, improved fuel economy, and a bit more fun while still offering a hatchback design. And I'm just a single guy, I don't feel like I need an AWD crossover or cargo space. I'm looking at a 2014 i Grand Touring or S Touring hatchback. Can't decide if the large engine is worth it yet.

I am financing a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD in crystal white pearl. The dealer offered me about $8000 trade equity toward the new 3. After all is said and done, my new payment would be within a $10 window of my current payment. So, financially, it wouldn't cast a cloud over my head despite the depreciation hit.

I just need help deciding whether this is a completely absurd idea.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I can certainly see why someone would find the new 3 preferable in many ways to the CX-5, but what possessed you to buy the latter in the first place just a scant ___
(fill in the blank) short months ago? You must have known that a new 3 was in the pipeline. I would hate to take the financial hit you're inevitably going to take, but if it makes you happy, only you can say if it's worth it.

I can certainly see why someone would find the new 3 preferable in many ways to the CX-5, but what possessed you to buy the latter in the first place just a scant ___
(fill in the blank) short months ago? You must have known that a new 3 was in the pipeline. I would hate to take the financial hit you're inevitably going to take, but if it makes you happy, only you can say if it's worth it.

Simple: the dealer up-sold me and I must have been in a good mood on that particular day. But also, when I purchased my CX-5, the specs sheet for the new 3 was not yet available. Still, I admit that I didn't do *all* of my research and made a mistake by considering a vehicle on the lot that I didn't go to the dealer to buy. Not that I'm unhappy. It's a fine car, I'm just not sure whether it is the best car for me.

First, I know this is a personal choice and one that is ultimately up to me. I just feel like the new Mazda3s offer everything the CX-5s do, with a better MazdaConnect interface, improved fuel economy, and a bit more fun while still offering a hatchback design. And I'm just a single guy, I don't feel like I need an AWD crossover or cargo space. I'm looking at a 2014 i Grand Touring or S Touring hatchback. Can't decide if large engine is worth it yet.

I am financing a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD in crystal white pearl. The dealer offered me about $8000 trade equity toward the new 3. After all is said and done, my new payment would be within a $10 window of my current payment. So, financially, it wouldn't cast a cloud over my head despite depreciation hit.

I just need help deciding whether this is a completely absurd idea.

Thanks.

It does make absolute sense given the advantages listed. I assume you do not need AWD nor the cargo space of the CX-5. I have actually thought about it for the past few months since new of the 2014 MZ3 as well, but for the interim, I need the AWD and passenger/cargo space of my (36 month financed) CX-5 AWD GT. I have looked into getting a MZ3 2.5 GT and for the exact reasons you stated. Unfortunately, I will have to wait a year or two and see what my situation will become and plan accordingly. I have anticipated the SkyA-Diesel from the get go as well. Perhaps that is another consideration for you.

That 3 sure does seem to have a much more intuitive "infotainment" system. If you're wanting to go to a small hatchback like the 3, I'd check out the GTI's and what Ford has to offer as well (unless you're a straight-up Mazda fan). Personally, I like the austhetics of the 3 better than those two inside and out.

I have driven both and bought the CX5. I much prefer the higher field of vision in the 5 in addition the ability to haul more stuff in needed. I think, you would be wasting a lot of dollars on this exchange. Ed

With your given terms, I'd say go for it with the larger engine.
Originally I wanted the 2014 Mazda 3 but due to the timing and reality, could not wait until mid to late Sept for it.

You'll be paying extra $10 per month for whatever term you'll sign up for. So if it's 60 month financing, it's $600 loss. This is on top of the total payments you've already made on the CX-5. So if you've made 6 payments of $400 already (just for example. I don't know how many payments you've made and what is your current monthly payment), that's 6 x $400 = $2400. The total money you'll lose on this deal is the $600 on the new monthly payments + $2400 already invested = $3000.

You'll have to be the one to decide if the new Mazda 3 is worth the price difference calculated in this way.

Mazda3 has no tow rating, so you can't tow anything.
Jumping from one car to another costs thousands.
Best to own it for 7 years if you buy new to get your moneys worth.

No way would I even consider that but you have to go with you REALLY want knowing you will be losing money. Just make sure the switch isn't something you'll regret later. I like being "up high" in the drivers seat and love the cargo space. It's not a huge car vehicle and still looks sporty...but go with your heart and let us know what you decide. :)

If the dealer is offering $8,000 in trade, he is making out like a bandit. The CX-5 GT, at about $30,000 MSRP, and one year old should be worth $20-$25,000, so at least $20,000 on a trade. So a new, loaded Mazda3, at $30,000, should COST you about $8,0000. I am assuming this is what you are saying. If not.....

We have a 2014 CX-5 GT and a brand new 2014 Mazda3 i Touring. The 3 is great, and gets great gas mileage with the 2.0. Acceleration is not great, but more than acceptable. The ride and handling is better. You lose all of the features of a crossover. I prefer driving the 3 over the CX-5, but the wife likes the CX-5 for the seating height.

If you want the 3, go get it. Just recognize it cost you $8,000 to drive the CX-5 for 4(?) months.

Having gone from a Mazda 3 to a cx5, I love the cx5. I had a 2007 mazda 3 and it was a blast to drive and a lot of fun but now that I have a 2014 cx5 GT I enjoy this for the following reasons leg room (was cramped in the 3) and storage room for my bike but most of all I like the better field of vision when driving. I do not miss driving behind trucks and suv's and not having a great view of what was ahead. I'm sure the new Mazda 3 is nice with it's new features but for me I'll wait for a new cx5 with them in it

I actually went in to the Mazda dealer wanting a Mazda 3. Had my heart set on a top of the line 3 in soul red. Saw it at the Monterey car show and looked fantastic. Read all the great reviews and felt confident that this was my car. Went in late November and drove one for the first time. Really nice car but something about it just did not feel right. Waited a few days and drove it again. Again, just felt way too cramped and stiff. Dealer said, just for a lark, try the CX-5. Well, it actually had all the positives of the Mazda 3 with none of the negatives. There is a MPG hit but for the extra room it was worth it to me.

With that said, if you have your heart on the Mazda 3 and have driven it and like it, it might be worth it to shop around and see what other dealers would offer. Your CX-5 would go for about 30K (assume). The equivalent 3 is close to 27K. Assume depreciation and the far swap may not be a bad deal.

Currently considering a 2015 CX-5 when it comes out hoping it has the 3's interior. I looked the 3 when it first came out but wanted a manual 2.5l which the press kept saying was coming before the end of 2013 but did not happen. Anyway I now decided I need AWD after dealing with this winter as well as a hatch and cargo room. The manual transmission is no longer on top of my list.

Besides that as you said you do not need the cargo room nor the AWD you will save on gas with the 3. It comes down to what you prefer the 3 is a great looking car. Another reason I was looking in the fall because the car was still being imported from Japan and not Mexico at that time. Just the switch to a new plant had me concerned.

The fuel economy increase is out, since that will be more than offset by your depreciation loss/$10 a month increase.

I'm sure the 3 would be a little more fun to drive and have a better radio system, but be more cramped. Your choice.

Too each his own...

I had a 2010 3 for a couple of years. I enjoyed it but the utility of the CX 5 is sooo much better.

If you ever take friends out...and I am married, the back seat of the 5 is easier to access and more comfortable for your guests.

A Mazda 3 hatchback will load more then you would think, but the CX 5 has a larger and very usable cargo space. A single guy/gal may not need the extra room but it does come in handy if you camp, lug home a piece of furniture, etc.

In the span of a year and 4 months I went from a 2012 Mazda 5 GS to a 2012 RAM 1500 and now to a 2014 CX-5 GT.
Insanity: Yes.
I ate a lot of cash I shouldn't have. However, getting away from Dodge service and lack of communication is worth it. Get what makes you happy, it makes the money loss bearable (in most aspects!).

Stick with the CX-5...update the Navigation and Map...if you want some more zing...get some lighting upgrade from Corksport...there is no AWD 3 right? That's reason enough to stick with the CX-5 with the M&S tires...

Back