Can't stand driving with both rear windows down....ear popping air vibrating sound?

rubeninfl

I'm not sure what the issue is, but whenever I try to drive with both rear windows down....like on a cool day (I'm in Florida and December is windows down time), the wind seems to be caught in the car in a strange way and causes a bizarre, thumping frequency that feels like it's going to pop my ears. It's not just me....the kids will cry if I put the windows down. I'm just wondering if it's just me, or if it's a design thing. Anyone else experience this?

This seems to be the case with numerous modern cars. My girlfriend's Legacy does the same thing.

This is a 4 door thing. My moms car does this also. If you just crack the front Windows your noise will stop.

It was unbareable on my '10 Forester. Buffeting was so bad it actually popped my ears. The pressure differential was bad enough the front windows wouldn't seat in the track of you tried to roll them up w/ the backs even partially down.

If I pop up the back of the sunroof it helps a lot in the CX-5

I find its really bad if I open both rear or even just one rear window. Cracking the front just a tiny bit seems to reduce it to bearable levels.

I'm wondering if anyone with the window visor/vents can comment if they reduce the turbulence and noise associated with opening just one or both rear windows? I had them on my last vehicle, but decided against them when getting my CX5.

Did you try rolling down all the windows and opening the roof? This is the best way to drive.

Well it's good to know that it's not just me! I've never had a 4 door car before so I've never experienced this before. I don't have a sunroof. I guess I'll learn to just roll the front windows down instead.

It's the bernoulli effect. Fast moving air (such as that right outside the window) is at a lower pressure than slow moving air in the car, so air tries to escape from within. But since the point of escape is also where the air comes in, you get a weird ping-pong of air pressure in the back of the car. Cracking a front window or the sunroof will help air smoothly flow in then out.

This is also why convertible tops bow out when at highway speeds, and the effect that makes planes fly...

Yeah the buffeting in the CX-5 is the WORSE I have ever experienced. Just lowering one at any level would have the "buffeting" effect GO CRAZY and my brain almost sucked out of my ears. It's incredibly ridiculous.

Back