Transmission takes a s*** while on the highway

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Fault p0882 - Powertrain (TCM Power Input Low). Well I was driving down the highway and the tpms, cel and tcs light come on. The transmission goes into safe mode; loss of power, no manual shift mode, and for me, no gear shifting (some people reported losing all power, I did not). I could only hit about 3- 3.5k rpms, and barely maintain 60. I drove to the dealership and along the way stopped at two stoplights. Each time it was like I accelerated in fourth gear because I could barely get moving (thank god I wasn't on an uphill). After I got to the dealership I left the car running in their service bay area, and had to coax the service tech out to see what I was talking about. I showed him the lights, and was going to show him the slow acceleration, but when I pulled forward it seemed to have finally switched into low gear (after about 5-8 minutes of idle while I was inside explaining the situation). I pulled out my ob2 Bluetooth and ripped the code before I restarted the motor in case it didn't show back up; which it did. I ended up driving it back home because I wouldn't be able to get a loaner and I had to work lights still on. The trans seemed to have worked out the gear shifting a little, however it felt as if it was towing something. I'll leave it tomorrow and see what they can figure out, without the time for them to keep it they suggested it may be a fuse issue, which I will be checking myself.

I'm hoping it's just a fluke but most likely it is not, I guess I'll be joining that super exclusive club lol

Added Video - Max accelerator when the needle goes to 3500

click to play

Last edited:
I'd rather you not be in the club! Thankfully you're safe, and the car threw codes, so with any luck you'll have a new trans and try again... :)

I'd rather you not be in the club! Thankfully you're safe, and the car threw codes, so with any luck you'll have a new trans and try again... :)

I checked fuses myself, dealership says it may have been caused by lose batter cable - hopefully that was the issue

Thanks for followup report.

I better check my battery cables, since today it was at dealership earlier today for oil change (hopefully they didn't mess with it when they did the battery check).

All to common and welcome to the club... picking my CX-5 up today with a brand new valve body in the trans... fingers crossed it don't happen again.

I've been having the same issue with my 13 CX-5 with 54,000 miles.I checked the code and it indeed was a P0882.I checked the battery terminal for the negative side and it was VERY loose.I screwed it tight and made sure the positive side was tight and it was.Im going to erase the code,hopefully the problem goes away!

Fault p0882 - Powertrain (TCM Power Input Low).
I'm hoping it's just a fluke but most likely it is not, I guess I'll be joining that super exclusive club lol

Could it have been caused by the tuning/mods you have been doing to your vehicle?

Could it have been caused by the tuning/mods you have been doing to your vehicle?
That could be a possibility in his case but my cx-5 has no mods at all and had the same issue before,just at lower speeds,it ended up being a loose battery cable.

Thanks to this thread when it just happened to me I checked my battery cables and one was a bit loose. Seems to have worked! Hopefully it's not something else.

Back