Just got a brand new 2014 CX-5 Touring

VanguardX

:
CX-5
Touring with every option.

I love this peppy little suv so far.

Quick question..

I only have 170 miles or so and I notice something funny...

When I am in park with the engine running idle, the tach fluctuates 100 or so RPM from time to time and you can hear it as well.

Also, if I have the AC on, the compressor turns on and off very frequency, however the cabin stays very cool.

Lastly, while I was reading my owners manual in the car while idling, I left the glove box open and noticed that every 20 seconds or so the glove box door would rattle and stop...rattle and stop...over and over.

Is this normal? The car drives absolutely fine.

Thank you!

Make sure you follow the break in procedure in the owners manual. I do not know about the glove box thing but I do know the 2.5 engine is way smoother than the 2.0 engine. Small fluctuations in the RPM is normal especially if the AC is on.

When I am in park with the engine running idle, the tach fluctuates 100 or so RPM from time to time and you can hear it as well.

Mine idles very smoothly and at a very low rpm (about 700 rpm indicated). If there is any ambient noise it can be hard to tell it's actually running. I have the 2.0L but I doubt there is much difference with the larger 2.5L. Maybe it's your A/C cycling on/off?

Also, if I have the AC on, the compressor turns on and off very frequency, however the cabin stays very cool.

That's normal. The A/C is very effective and cycles on/off as needed. This saves fuel and prevents icing.

Lastly, while I was reading my owners manual in the car while idling, I left the glove box open and noticed that every 20 seconds or so the glove box door would rattle and stop...rattle and stop...over and over.

I've never left the glove box open with the air conditioner cycling on/off but that sounds like the likely explanation.

I also have a 2014 CX5 Touring, but i have not noticed the issue that you're talking about. On the other hand, I have never left my glove compartment opened while the car is running. Furthermore, I know it's normal for your car's AC to turn on and off. I have also added some chrome to my car. I will take some photos and share with you guys soon. The chrome definitely adds to the aesthetics of my car.

Extremely disappointed - need answers

Touring with every option.

I love this peppy little suv so far.

Quick question..

I only have 170 miles or so and I notice something funny...

Thank you!

I purchased a new 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD June 21st.
Everything was great for the first 13 days. After that, I noticed the car started to shake in idle. So I call the salesman who sold me the car and he told me to bring it in to have it looked at by the service team and brought the car in July 3rd. After the service team went back and forth with Mazda corporate, they tell me its the gas. So I do as they instruct and burn up what was in the tank. Then they tell me to fill up and burn 2 more tanks. (all the while the car continues to shake with a rough idle) finally in late August - they are told (and I quote) "this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle." 3 trips (where the car was kept overnight for testing) and this is what they tell me.

So - I bring it to another dealer - and yesterday (after finding my record in the computer) this guy tells me the same thing.
So - They expect me to believe that they knowing built a car (that costs $30k on average) to PURPOSELY SHAKE AND GIVE YOU A ROUGH IDLE. Are you kidding me?
I'm having a 'flight recorder' installed so they can monitor the reading from the computer - but this thing shakes every time you get in it and sit idle.

Has anyone else had the same experiences? OR is your CX-5 running beautifully? Either way, I would love to chat with you regarding your experience.
Please message me.
Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Oh and PS - I'm lucky if I get 22 MPG (City/Highway mix)(headshake

Most are smooth as silk. Perhaps the two dealers you contacted are actually owned by the same people (quite common). Try contacting mazda directly and keep us updated.

Can you take a video of how your car behaves and post it for us to see?

Also, you live in Elmont, NY, across from Belmont Racetrack.
I grew up in Queens Village, and lived in Springfield Gardens.
You highway mileage on the Cross Island Parkway, Belt Parkway, and Southern State are not the same type of highway miles as what I get driving from Denver to Kansas City on I-70.
Your highways are more like what the City rating by the EPA is.

BC.

im at 1900 miles now and still the same problems I originally had. I use Shell, Sunoco and BP regular gas....cant be the gas lol.

Still shakes at idle. AC on or off. only 22.3 mpg on average

Im convinced in an intake valve problem or something as simple as a loose motor mount.

im at 1900 miles now and still the same problems I originally had. I use Shell, Sunoco and BP regular gas....cant be the gas lol.

Still shakes at idle. AC on or off. only 22.3 mpg on average

Im convinced in an intake valve problem or something as simple as a loose motor mount.
That's about the avg mpg I get with 2.0L, larger wheels, and ripping ass everywhere.

I just bought a 2014 CX5 today, a little over 8k miles, it was a Mazda exec car. Anyways, I do notice the idle is a little "buzzy", but not rough. I did a lot of research before I bought this car and it seems some have it, some don't. Could be choice of oil that could change it, who knows. Anyways, this car averaged 35.5 mpg on the 50 mile drive home from the dealership, I'm in absolute shock!

As for the car, it's great, white on black, GT, Tech Package, bumper guard, hitch bar and they gave me a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty. First Mazda, very happy, it will be my girlfriend's daily driver and new baby mobile come March!

Back