Oil level

MyBlueCX-5

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Auto Touring w/Bose and Moonroof pkg
Just picked our car up yesterday. I started it this morning and the blue coolant light came on (which I later found is normal). I had mistaken it for a low oil warning so I popped the hood and checked the oil. It was a full dot below full... Not sure if I should top it off or call the dealer. Thoughts? Anyone else have this come up? 285 miles on it.

Did you check it with the oil warm on the level?

As long as its between the min and max I wouldn't be concerned.

No, it was cold....I had just started it a minute or so before. I'll let it run this afternoon and then shut if off for a few minutes to let the oil drain and check it again. Just thought it was odd that it was that low.

There should be two dots and an X. Bottom dot minimum, higher dot maximum, X is a warning level of sorts.

The owners manual is a great first read as it familiarizes and answers many questions. Ed

Based on your posts, it sounds like you checked the oil with the engine running. If that's true, then your results are meaningless. You need to check with the engine off and having sat at least for a few minutes. The longer you wait the better your result, but really letting it sit for just a few minutes will allow enough of the oil to drain back into the pan to give you a decent reading. First thing in the morning (again, engine off) is best.

No, I had shut the engine off. I checked it again tonight, it was fine - - - right below the 2nd dot at full. The coolant light probably just frazzled me and I was in a hurry. All is good.

Our CX-5 came from the dealer with the oil down about 1/4 inch. That's maybe 1/4 of the way between the full and low dots (I only have two). According to the owner's manual the engine takes 4.4 quarts when replacing the filter. I suspect they are cheaping out and just putting in 4 quarts. In 2500 miles the oil level hasn't changed a bit.

Joe

The oil level will rise a little when it's hot, probably why the manual says to check it when it's warm.

It was a full dot below full...

I'm confused, was it just below the full dot or below the low dot?

cx5oillevel.jpg

Just down from full should be good. Especially if it has run recently as oil will have been pumped up around the inside. You don't want it below the low but over full is also bad.

cx5oillevel.jpg

Mine was down about 1/4" from the full dot as well. It hasn't moved in the first 3000km.

A new engine will have a slightly higher oil consumption they normal so keeping an eye on it is always a good idea (say weekly checks using the method described in your owners manual).

If it does need a little oil one day (getting near the bottom dot), I wouldn't go grab 'any old bottle of oil' but rather consult the place you tent to have your servicing done and buy a small bottle of what they use and recommend for your car (hopefully they actually know themselves) or consult the owners manual.

Brought my own oil to dealer for oil change, Mobil 1 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5qt
Service tech said to add about 1/2 qt more bc these engines take more oil.
Owner's manual says 4.8qt with oil filter. The dipstick looks fine.

Last edited:
Back