bed length (seat down)

80sRX7

Since this isn't specified, I need to ask:

With the rear seat(s) down flat (and do they REALLY fold down flat?), what is the 'bed length' (in inches) from the front seat(s) to the rear hatch (closed)?

I ask because I'm pondering using a CX-5 (which I haven't bought, yet) as an occasional 'camper' ... and I'm 6'2" (i.e. 74"). I want to know if I could lay out a sleeping bag on the flat 'bed' when the rear seats are folded flat.
... and, if not perfectly length-wise, how about diagonally?

Thanks - for going out and measuring.

Last edited:
measured mine, and to the tip of the folded seat to the back edge of the hatch back, was 66". was with the front seats in thier driving position. could move and tilt em far forward, i could see another 8" or so and have your head back at the hatch.

oh,they fold pretty dam flat. not 100% flat/level but close

measured mine, and to the tip of the folded seat to the back edge of the hatch back, was 66". was with the front seats in thier driving position. could move and tilt em far forward, i could see another 8" or so and have your head back at the hatch.

Thanks - for taking the trouble to measure that, Pudde, as it's never specified ... and VERY useful to know.

For clarification, by "to the tip of the folded seat" were you referring to the front (e.g. driver) seat or to the tip of the folded (nearly flat) back seat? I think you meant the latter, but I just wanted to be sure.

Can I take it that there might be a couple more inches from the tip of the rear folded seat to the standing front seat-back?
... any chance that 75" could be had diagonally?

MANY thanks, again.

The biggest surprise spec (to me) was the claimed 8.5" ground clearance, which is as much as most pickup trucks (VERY important, if one desires to go sightseeing off on dirt roads, especially in northern Canada or Alaska, where, if you break anything, you're a Long way from nowhere).

Does the CX-5 really stand that high? ... i.e. does it look like there might be 8.5" standing a ruler on the ground behind or in front of it? ... and just looking?

If so, that ground clearance is a decided advantage, compared to alternative SUV's!

The biggest surprise spec (to me) was the claimed 8.5" ground clearance, which is as much as most pickup trucks (VERY important, if one desires to go sightseeing off on dirt roads, especially in northern Canada or Alaska, where, if you break anything, you're a Long way from nowhere).

Does the CX-5 really stand that high? ... i.e. does it look like there might be 8.5" standing a ruler on the ground behind or in front of it? ... and just looking?

If so, that ground clearance is a decided advantage, compared to alternative SUV's!

Its pretty tall for its class. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_b06FYls1g

There is a lot of clearance. I'm a short guy (5'6") and I kinda have to "drop" down a bit to get out since my left foot doesn't touch the ground if I swing it out. The 8.5" puts it at the top of the class with the Forester and Cherokee, but both of those are much more capable off-road then the CX-5.

BTW the base version "sport" the back seat is not very flat when down, so buy the T or GT, then you get the nice 40/20/40, I really wanted that option but they will not offer it w/ shift yourself models :(

I used my tape and can confirm the above measures.

Also, with front seats in normal driving position a "sleeping diagonal" is 74". This is not measured from corner to corner but from where I would put my head and feet. Of course it's quick to slide the passenger seat forward and/or flip the seatback forward. Doing both of these provides a straight front to rear measure of 80"+ I didn't measure the diagonal but it would be huge, But when moving the seats forward a gap is left that would need to be filled in with luggage if you wanted a sleeping surface. It would work fine for me and I'm 6'-04". If I was solo I would probably just tilt the passenger seat forward, put my pillow there and feet diagonally.

The 8.5" ground clearance is accurate. Many areas of the underbelly measure 9-10"

Last edited:
Back