Every Warning light Came on, while driving...

:
2013 CX-5 Sport-manual
Thought some on here might find this interesting....

While driving today, all of a sudden, just about every warning light in the dash came on, some were flashing.... and the light in the push button start was also flashing....

I then noticed that I no longer had power steering..... the vehicle was "jerky", and I could hear weird sounds coming from the back (or maybe the transmission)
.... so, I pulled into a gas station, to stop the car engine (thinking / hoping things would re-set ).... Nope... the engine would not shut off !

So.... being only about 10 miles from the dealership where I purchased the vehicle... I drove straight there.... I showed the "greeter" the dash, and he said "that is unusual"... we'll check that out, right away.
I also noticed, while driving those 10 miles, that my "miles per gallon" were dropping fast. ( I usually get between 31 and 33 mpg, around town.... I don't do the hyper-mile thing, but I will shut the vehicle off, if I know I'll be sitting for a minute or more. )

Of course, I was thinking.... The computer in the vehicle had crashed. Here is a hint as to what was going on..... Over the last 4 months I had installed one of those "Snap-Shot" devices from the Progressive Insurance company, and just before all the dash lights went on, it "beeped" in the way it does, when you stop quickly. (but, I wasn't stopping, I was driving at approx. 50mpg). When I noticed the dash lights and other issues, I pulled the Snap-shot thing out of the computer port.... (but it didn't change any of the issues).

So, the mechanic hooked up his diagnostic equipment, and sure enough, there were a massive amount of "thrown codes" (errors).... he was able to clear them all. He asked if I had any (aftermarket) accessories. I do have a multi-tap power device that I sometimes use for a GPS, and the other thing was the "Snap-Shot" device. He said.... that was it.... I was the 5th person that he had seen (4 of them w/ a CX-5) that had experienced a very similar situation. Everything is now back to normal, but he did ask me to call him, on Monday, to tell him if things were still OK. (oh, and yes, that Snap-Shot thing is not going to be hooked back up )

The mechanic also said that he had seen similar situations, when the vehicle battery had gone bad. (but my battery was fine.... I only have about 6200 miles on the vehicle )

I have had ZERO issues w/ the CX-5, drives great, and get the gas mileage that is advertized.

Last edited:
Does the Snap-shot plug into the OBDII port? Makes me second guess getting one of the new "Automatic" plug in devices that syncs to your smartphone via bluetooth.

Yes, the SnapShot device does plug into the OBDII port.
I told the mechanic that I was (also) thinking about getting one of those Bluetooth diagnostic things (works w/ Android tablet ).... he didn't seemed concerned about that. (and showed me the one he owns (his, did not belong to the Mazda shop )....
I'm just waiting to find a deal on an Android tablet that has Bluetooth. The plug in device, is very inexpensive (on Ebay for less than $15, w/ free shipping )

Hi, I just wanted to give you a heads up, I bought one of those obd11 devices, not off eBay but an online tune up company. It wasn't expensive only around 20, I used this along with the torque app for android. After plugging it into the obd port I set off to pick my wife up from her work, everything was working great and I was well impressed with the gadget, anyway picked the wife up and set off for home when exactly the same thing you described happened to my car, (dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree and car wouldn't shut off) yanked out the obd and after a while things settled back to normal with the exception of the engine fault light. Once home I plugged in the obd and it came up with a drivetrain problem, I used the app to clear the code and unplugged again to see if the fault would reappear, it didn't, that was about two months ago, needless to say I haven't used it again!

Raymie; Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't purchased anything yet.... wanted to research more.... first. My intention was to use the Torque app while driving, on a cross-country road trip. Now, I'm not so sure.

I have an OBD-2 HUD, no issues. Got my car dyno'd and the obd2 interface threw all lights halfway through. All cleared after restart, except ABS and TC cleared after ecu reset (maybe not needed) and 100 ft of driving.

Back