DRL replacement

:
CX-5 Touring FWD
I'm interested in replacing the DRL's on my 2013 CX-5 WITHOUT the tech package with a little bit whiter of a bulb. I've been reading about how I would need to find bulbs with the proper voltages since the DRL's act as the high beams as well on the non-tech package version. Do I need to do anything other than replace the bulbs or are there other modifications that need to be made? I'm hoping to find a 5000k bulb to fit this. I'm also interested in Angel Eyes but I have not had any luck finding them anywhere for the CX-5. Can anyone offer me some guidance?

I think you missed the part where I don't have the tech package. That thread did not answer any of my questions.

I think you need to read from page one on so that you can get an understanding of how the DRL's work. Especially Page 2 and 3 that pertains to your questions, that thread is for DRL not just for the Tech Package.

you aren't going to get 'whiter' on the drls with non-tech, because even with bulbs like sylvania ultras which are nice and fairly white at full power, they'll still be dingy yellow at the lower power of the drl mode

Let me understand: we "non tech" owners must choose the Halogen Headlamp version, is it right?
And you simple replaced the old bulb with the new one?
What about the high beam problem, are you still able to flash?
Wow... three questions in a row, sorry!

Last edited:
Let me understand: we "non tech" owners must choose the Halogen Headlamp version, is it right?

yeah you will have no highbeams essentially...

Correct, you need the Halogen version. The kit comes with two LED "bulbs," the decoder, and the wire to hold both LED's. You plug the decoder into one of the plugs where the old bulb was. You plug the wire that holds both LED's into the other socket. There are no high beams anymore as the LED's will only run on 12v (high beam voltage). But honestly, they're pretty bright so I haven't noticed a difference of not having high beams yet.

Correct, you need the Halogen version. The kit comes with two LED "bulbs," the decoder, and the wire to hold both LED's. You plug the decoder into one of the plugs where the old bulb was. You plug the wire that holds both LED's into the other socket. There are no high beams anymore as the LED's will only run on 12v (high beam voltage). But honestly, they're pretty bright so I haven't noticed a difference of not having high beams yet.

was it hard to install? does it need any rewiring? or anything to do with the electrical box?

I hope they don't stay on when the regular headlights are also on because it may be too bright. I friend of mine got a ticket recently for having his brights on when approaching on-coming cars. Probably even a greater problem if you also install after market HID's.

I hope they don't stay on when the regular headlights are also on because it may be too bright. I friend of mine got a ticket recently for having his brights on when approaching on-coming cars. Probably even a greater problem if you also install after market HID's.

Once you turn the headlights on they turn off. You CAN turn them on with the headlights by activating the high beams, but there is no intensity difference between the high beams and the DRL's. Also it looks weird with the two lights being different colors.

That is good, isn't that often that I would even use the high beams. I have the same lights but since I have the tech pkg it was a little more straight forward. I like the appearance vs stock.

I discovered that the little heat sink on the decoder gets so hot that it can melt wires. It melted the wire that came with the LED's and caused them to stop working. I just learned the hard way not to stick the decoder anywhere near anything. Trying to get a replacement.

I discovered that the little heat sink on the decoder gets so hot that it can melt wires. It melted the wire that came with the LED's and caused them to stop working. I just learned the hard way not to stick the decoder anywhere near anything. Trying to get a replacement.

so i assume that you stick the heat sink with the wires together? so if we do not stick the decoder anywhere near anything would it be ok? did anything else damaged? can you post a picture of how things went? are you going to order another pair of these?

Back