Has anyone vinyl wrapped their roof?

Aguas

:
'14 CX-5 GT
I'm a sucker for a white vehicle with a black roof (often associated with a panoramic sunroof), and I'm eager to have my wife's new CX-5 roof wrapped with a gloss black vinyl. Although I don't expect the cost to be too much, I'd like to see if any of the 247 crowd has had their roof vinyl wrapped, sprayed or even PD'd before I sell this idea to Mrs. Aguas. I did see a post recently by a member that had his black roof wrapped with a carbon fiber printed vinyle to protect it from sand from his roof mounted kayaks, but seeing a grayish roof on a black vehicle isn't quite the same.

Wow! You live in Texas and want to change roof color from white to black! Doesn't that fly in the face of heat absorbtion/retention?

ohhhhh, do a chrome wrap
chrome-wrapped-mercedes-sls-amg-gt3-racer.jpg

Wow! You live in Texas and want to change roof color from white to black! Doesn't that fly in the face of heat absorbtion/retention?

She parks in the garage at home and parks in a garage at work. I'm not terribly worried about it, but yes, the thought has crossed my mind. However, I've heard that the 3M vinyls do an excellent job of dispersing heat, though I haven't seen any specific testing to prove that. That's also the reason I'd rather have it vinyl covered with gloss black (easily removeable and absorbs less energy/heat than satin or matt like plasti dip). Also, I figure it beats having an all black vehicle or other dark colored vehicle.

A black model with a CF print doesn't really help visualize...
Hey I tried. Beggers can't be choosers.
Plus the roofline is so high, unless you're over 6 ft tall, you can't see it, unless you look at your car from a second story (or taller) building.

No worries, that is the thread I mentioned in the OP, so I had already seen it.

And I'm 6'3" and my wife is almost 6'0", so we see the roofs of our vehicles. Once I convince her it's a great idea, I think I'll just have it done since I can't seen to find one (other than the previously mentioned black CX-5) with it already installed. Got a quick estimate from a local shop for $150 over the weekend.

Aguas, I totally understand. I originally wanted something clear, like clear bra, but the cost was too high and they didnt have the gloss black material which was my second choice. So I got talked into the CF pattern, wasn't my first choice, but it suit my needs.
From my experience though, I can tell you their vinyl is good quality and warranted for 3 yrs in our sunny/hot climates (I'm in FL). 7 months so far and no peeling, fading, or bubbles that I can perceive.

I'm a sucker for a white vehicle with a black roof (often associated with a panoramic sunroof), and I'm eager to have my wife's new CX-5 roof wrapped with a gloss black vinyl.

Although I don't get wanting the roof a different color (especially black), if you must, why not just have it painted gloss black with a modern polyurethane automotive paint? It will never peel or crack and is a lot tougher than any silly vinyl wrap.

Although I don't get wanting the roof a different color (especially black), if you must, why not just have it painted gloss black with a modern polyurethane automotive paint? It will never peel or crack and is a lot tougher than any silly vinyl wrap.

1. Cost
2. Reversibility

Are you just wanting to see a photo/chop?

It is pretty common to wrap hoods and roofs and such. Just do it. It might look a little strange without some other black themes, like dark finished wheels, smoked markers, etc...

Nope, I was just wondering if anyone else had already done it on a white CX-5. The wife seems pretty happy with the vehicle right now, so this might be a revision on down the line. Ideally, I want to remove all of the badges except for the M's, PC the wheels gloss black, vinyl wrap the roof and lower it 1"-2".

Plasti Dip FTW!

I agree!!! PASTI DIP works like a charm! Easy, Cheap, and Fast. $6 a can a lowes...they sell a "glossifier" online but shipping is $$$. Look on youtube for plastidip cars. They painted a new R35 Skyline with it then peeled it right off without any hassle or paint damage

I'm going to wrap my wife's CX-5 roof in the next few weeks. I did my Tiguan in CF and it came out great.

I use plastidip on the CX-5s wheels already and it looks good, but I do not want to dip the roof it just doesn't give the right look. Even with their gloss it looks too flat. And spraying clear on plastidip makes it almost impossible to peal off.

bsm9884.jpg

Is wrapping the roof similar to the clearbra process? mixture of baby shampoo + water and squeegee out the mixture? I'm looking into doing this for my 6, I already installed the clear bra on it over the weekend. If the same process then I may go ahead and do this myself as well.

Is wrapping the roof similar to the clearbra process? mixture of baby shampoo + water and squeegee out the mixture? I'm looking into doing this for my 6, I already installed the clear bra on it over the weekend. If the same process then I may go ahead and do this myself as well.

Not so much, mainly just water and stretching.

I did my roof on my Tig with my father in law in about 2-3 hours. Once the sun started heating up the vinyl it made it really easy to pull tight and get all of the bubbles out. Depending on the type of vinyl a squeegee won't help it will make marks and lines in the vinyl and ruin it. A spray bottle of water a buddy and some patients and it's not too bad.

The biggest problem I noticed was just the height of the car makes it really hard to work with. If you have something to stand on it'll make it much easier and go faster. But seeing as you are doing it on a 6 it should only take you and hour or 2.

Aguas,

This is the one I can find. http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/topgear/cars_advert?id=201304186337681

I am a big lover of white car with black roof too. It will look great on the CX-5.
I had recently applied some 3M Scotchprint 1080 vinyl wrap on the CX-5, http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123828858-My-mods-on-the-CX-5-vinyl-wrapping/page2
3M have gloss black or even other color pattern to choose.

With a second hand, I am sure you can do it yourself and it's a dry application(no soap water of wet area). For the size of the roof, you are expecting about material around $100 + labor(which is another $200-300 in my area). However, without enough experience, vinyl wrapping is not going to look 100% perfect perfect. But, it's reversible. I plan to do the roof one day on my our red CX-5, I just don't have time right now. Keep in mind that vinyl wrapping is not permanent and one day, the vinyl will lift and loose adhesion. I have seen someone had problem wrapping their 350z. Although you can use primer 94 adhesion promotor to make the wrap stick to the surface, that's not reversible and you better paint it at that point.

On the other hand, to paint the roof professionally, you are looking about $500-1000.

And I do not think that you want to do plastidip because it will not give your the gloss black, it's more for matte, even with glossifier and metallic addition, it's better for dark gun metal.

Hope this help and Good luck!

I'm a sucker for a white vehicle with a black roof (often associated with a panoramic sunroof), and I'm eager to have my wife's new CX-5 roof wrapped with a gloss black vinyl. Although I don't expect the cost to be too much, I'd like to see if any of the 247 crowd has had their roof vinyl wrapped, sprayed or even PD'd before I sell this idea to Mrs. Aguas. I did see a post recently by a member that had his black roof wrapped with a carbon fiber printed vinyle to protect it from sand from his roof mounted kayaks, but seeing a grayish roof on a black vehicle isn't quite the same.

Last edited:
Back