My mods on the CX-5, vinyl wrapping

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring Zeal Red/Moonroof pkg
I have seen those vinyl wrapping in corvette and bimmer forums, really likes it and wonder if they will hold up in the heat. Ordered a little bit and tried it on myself.

Realize the rear doors don't come with the aluminium trim like the front doors.

The rear door with the wrapped trim

wrapped rear door.........
front passenger door

The wrap is the closest I can find to match the aluminium trim, it's not exactly the same color since the trim is not as chrome as the factory trim. but it turns out okay and I might stick with it to finish the other rear door.​

Do you have better pictures? The lack of silver trim in the rear has been bothering me as well. Any tips on applying vinyl on that specific trim piece?

Might consider doing the cheap looking plastic shifter trim piece as well.

Last edited:
After seeing your pics, I went looking for the trim, and I found Metro Restyling. They offer samples of most of the vinyl for ~$2 each, I think I will order a couple that look close to the existing trim and see if any match really well. I would really LOVE to wrap that shiny black plastic on the dash! Thanks for giving me the nudge, I had no idea this stuff existed!

I will try to take a better picture with my SLR tonight.

The product is called 3M scotchprint 1080(I also got it from metro restyling) I got 24"x60", the basic 12"x60" is good enought for those two trims. Another popular material from 3M is called Di-Noc mainly for carbon fiber looks which I am not a big fan of fake carbon fiber trims. I called 3M to get a sample set which they will send u a credit card size of sample of all their available colors and materials, the stain white color is very attractive.

I have a lot of question myself to the material such as if they hold up ok during the heat, reversible, color, material etc. I have seen more people using this now because they are a bit thinner than Di-Noc and a bit easier to apply. Also mainly, 1080 can be applied without 3M primer 94 which I feel the primer could mess up another surface permanently. Therefore, I decided to give it a try. The material I used is White Gloss Aluminium. I feel it's more matte and not as shiny glossy like the factory trim, if you put them together, you will notice right the way, kind of a regular silver color on a car paint. But it's the closest I can get.

I just did it 3 days ago, took me about 2 hours carefully removing everything, wrapping, reinstalling, and taking pictures. Didn't get a chance to have it sits under the sun, but i feel it will hold up okay because this particular part is pressed and sealed all the way around, the chance of it will lift is slim. I really like my black piano trim above the climate control, if you want to apply them, I would suggest you to go with brush aluminium because they are very standard on bimmer and benz. Wrap over the trim and extend as much of wrap as possible onto the back to minimize the chance of lifting or failing. Other than that, applying the film is very straight forward, you can also stretch the material a bit to make it fits to the shape of the trim. once eveything settles, apply a little bit of heat from heat gun or hair dryer to make it bonds to the surface a bit more. At the end, if you don't like it, remove it and everything goes back to original. Some recommend primer 94 to add a bit more adhesive power, but I am afriad to use it.

I plan on doing this on the side mirror covers which match the Audi RS lines' standard silver color side mirror on their models. And may be the shift trim plastic too.

Will post more picture after everything is done.

Tips: you must remove the door panel to get to this trim as there are screws on the back. Don't try to remove the window control like the service manual said. Be very accurate and careful when removing the door panel because those cheapy plastic holds the panel on the back, about 7-8 of them, worse case is you can order some spares from dealer like 1 dollar each. I was lucky that nothing broke on mine but I had many years of experience removing interior parts and trims.
Be very patient and don't force yourself if you can't get to. Post a picture and we can help you out.

P.S. didn't check grammar.

Last edited:
The product is called 3M scotchprint 1080(I also got it from metro restyling) I got 24"x60", the basic 12"x60" is good enought for those two trims. Another popular material from 3M is called Di-Noc mainly for carbon fiber looks which I am not a big fan of fake carbon fiber trims.
I am a big fan of carbon fiber, and I have some of it on my desk beside me that I plan to wrap the center black trim with. I also got it from Metro Restyling.
I've never been a fan of chrome or brushed metals, but you did a good job on yours. Hopefully my project turns out as well as yours.

I am a big fan of carbon fiber, and I have some of it on my desk beside me that I plan to wrap the center black trim with. I also got it from Metro Restyling.
I've never been a fan of chrome or brushed metals, but you did a good job on yours. Hopefully my project turns out as well as yours.

Styling is very personal, carbon fiber trim looks good too if you like them, I just happened to like the aluminium trims to match the front doors.
On other forums, some others compare different carbon fiber wraps. For scotchprint 1080, there are 4-5 different style of carbon fiber.I was amazed that there is white carbon fiber (boom05)

cheers!

Yeah, I saw that, and some of those colors are fugly! Anyway, I tried wrapping the black dash trim and it was a bust. Too many curves and crevices to go around for my skill level. It got it pretty good actually, but being the perfectionist that I am I didn't like the few little spots that were not perfect, so I took it all off again. I actually know of a place that will put a 'real' finish of your choice onto any item, and I may pursue it that way in the future.

I did a couple more pictures and you can see the wrap is more matte and not as chrome as the factory trim.

I also did the front grill as i always wanted to, don't know how well they hold up during the summer heat.

I would love to wrap the center dash with carbon fiber too. The piano finish is annoying with fingerprints and all that. Please update us on your project, thanks!

I will try to take a better picture with my SLR tonight.

The product is called 3M scotchprint 1080(I also got it from metro restyling) I got 24"x60", the basic 12"x60" is good enought for those two trims. Another popular material from 3M is called Di-Noc mainly for carbon fiber looks which I am not a big fan of fake carbon fiber trims. I called 3M to get a sample set which they will send u a credit card size of sample of all their available colors and materials, the stain white color is very attractive.

I have a lot of question myself to the material such as if they hold up ok during the heat, reversible, color, material etc. I have seen more people using this now because they are a bit thinner than Di-Noc and a bit easier to apply. Also mainly, 1080 can be applied without 3M primer 94 which I feel the primer could mess up another surface permanently. Therefore, I decided to give it a try. The material I used is White Gloss Aluminium. I feel it's more matte and not as shiny glossy like the factory trim, if you put them together, you will notice right the way, kind of a regular silver color on a car paint. But it's the closest I can get.

I just did it 3 days ago, took me about 2 hours carefully removing everything, wrapping, reinstalling, and taking pictures. Didn't get a chance to have it sits under the sun, but i feel it will hold up okay because this particular part is pressed and sealed all the way around, the chance of it will lift is slim. I really like my black piano trim above the climate control, if you want to apply them, I would suggest you to go with brush aluminium because they are very standard on bimmer and benz. Wrap over the trim and extend as much of wrap as possible onto the back to minimize the chance of lifting or failing. Other than that, applying the film is very straight forward, you can also stretch the material a bit to make it fits to the shape of the trim. once eveything settles, apply a little bit of heat from heat gun or hair dryer to make it bonds to the surface a bit more. At the end, if you don't like it, remove it and everything goes back to original. Some recommend primer 94 to add a bit more adhesive power, but I am afriad to use it.

I plan on doing this on the side mirror covers which match the Audi RS lines' standard silver color side mirror on their models. And may be the shift trim plastic too.

Will post more picture after everything is done.

Tips: you must remove the door panel to get to this trim as there are screws on the back. Don't try to remove the window control like the service manual said. Be very accurate and careful when removing the door panel because those cheapy plastic holds the panel on the back, about 7-8 of them, worse case is you can order some spares from dealer like 1 dollar each. I was lucky that nothing broke on mine but I had many years of experience removing interior parts and trims.
Be very patient and don't force yourself if you can't get to. Post a picture and we can help you out.

P.S. didn't check grammar.

do you have instruction how to remove the door panel?
I recently added leather seat covers to replace the stock fabric seats and would like to change the fabric to leather on the door panel as well. any info/tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:
do you have instruction how to remove the door panel?
I recently added leather seat covers to replace the stock fabric seats and would like to change the fabric to leather on the door panel as well. any info/tips would be appreciated.

You can find some diagrams from the service manual in the How-To section.
To remove the door, you need to loosen two screws: one behind the door handle covered by a plastic plate and one under the door holder slot.
Once you done, you need to pop of the door panel by popping off 7-8 clips behind the door panel around the perimeter(be patient with a little bit more force).
Once you have the panel off, you will need to unplug the window switch connector and complete door handle with lock and wire will come off prettry easily.
done!

went a bit wild and did the side mirrors

I think it's too much, so I removed it afterward. The next panel I will try is the front lip.

went a bit wild and did the side mirrors.
I think it's too much, so I removed it afterward. The next panel I will try is the front lip.

Haha good man, body colored side mirrors are actually a feature for cars with higher trims in general. Glad you removed them, it clashes with the body paint.

I called a dealer today to see if it was possible to order just the silver trims from the front caused they looked like they matched but no luck you have to buy the whole door panel, so I will be wrapping them in the summer. Now I will order a few samples to see what matches best.

Looks like what Audi does with their S models.

that's exactly my original plan. The difference is those Audi RS models have smaller mirrors. The CX's mirror are pretty big and the silver is too obvious.

I should have saved the wraps for the front lips.

You can contact 3M directly, and they will send you a stack of color card for the selection.
My white gloss aluminium is the closest color to silver. Good luck!

I called a dealer today to see if it was possible to order just the silver trims from the front caused they looked like they matched but no luck you have to buy the whole door panel, so I will be wrapping them in the summer. Now I will order a few samples to see what matches best.

Hate to say but i think that dealer is full of s***. I think they just didn't want to look into the parts diagrams a little more. I have had my parts guys from my dealer look up trim pieces like that for my gen2 i had. Another options is try to find the nearest junkyard and see if you can find a wrecked car. They might not be too inclined to let you rip apart a perfectly good door card but even if you had to buy the whole car it would be cheaper than the dealership.

Back