Mazda dealership says they use autobond for clear bra? good idea?

Brad33

Banned
:
Mazda CX-5
Does anyone know if the brand auto bond is good quality protection film? the guy at the dealer said they have them come in and install it. Is it better to cover or not cover the edges when installing a clear bra? Besides the hood, where else can you use the film?

Does anyone know if the brand auto bond is good quality protection film? the guy at the dealer said they have them come in and install it. Is it better to cover or not cover the edges when installing a clear bra? Besides the hood, where else can you use the film?

There are other threads already out there about clear bras, including a nice big one... Read through them and if the answer isn't apparant, ask your question there:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816886-CX-5-Clear-Bra-anyone

And you've already asked your other two questions in other threads within the past few hours... just chill out and wait for a response to one of those. Posting scores of threads with the same questions is far more likely to generate annoyance than responses.

Last edited:
Clear bra Boston / MA - Unique Car Care

I own a detail shop in Boston/MA and do lots of clear bra installs.

I was using the 3M/Ventureshield product for a while, but have recently switched to the new Xpel Ultimate film, which is far superior in my opinion. It has great clarity, no orange peel and has a clearcoat topcoat. The best thing about this particular film is that is has self-healing properties if you happen to scratch it at some point. Any type of heat (sunlight, engine heat, hot water, etc. will promote the self healing and the scratches will disappear. It also has great UV protection and will not discolor, fade or get cloudy like other films on the market. Most films look great when first installed, but typically degrade not even a year later. This film is backed with a 10 year warranty.

One thing that I did notice with the 3m/Ventureshield is when bugs, sap, bird mess or stuff from trees remained on the surface for a couple days, the film would "etch" and I was unable to remove the etching. This is the main reason I switched to the Xpel Ultimate. It is extremely durable and you can even use lacquer thinner on the film without it eating the topcoat.

Here's a video showing Xpels self-healing properties: http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A

I perform mostly fully custom install instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, we use bulk film and are able to have all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.).

Once the installation is complete, I apply a paint protection film sealant to protect the film against bugs, bird mess, tree sap, etc., even though I have not experienced any problems with this film staining or etching.

Here's a couple examples of a few recent installs I have done:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/33777-custom-porsche-clear-bra-install-xpel.htm

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/34414-porsche-911-turbo-paint-correction-xpel.htm

Ok but has anyone heard of autobond film before? I hope its good. Can you wrap the film on headlight, tailight etc as well?

I've never heard of it, but a google search turned up some old posts (some 10 years old) on other forums where they refer to it as being from 3M. So I don't know if it is an old name for one of 3M's products or what.

I'd find out what the dealer will charge for it and then call local places and look for reviews to find a quality place and see what they charge directly as the dealership is just going to act as a middle man. The only plus with the dealer is they can work it into your financing.

Ok thanks HandA, if you could do more google searches about autobond and let me know if its a good brand? Maybe they changed the name?? I hope it uses 3m

Last edited:
Back