Ebay CX-5 Door Scuff Protector. Not Bad.

NinjaNoises

:
CX-5 Sport MT
One month into owning this CX-5 Sport and it has been great.

I found myself stepping on the door sill a lot when I am exiting the car, so I bought the Ebay door sills so that I don't have to wipe down the plastic as much.

The thing is, the photo on the Ebay listing as well as the previous threads I've read on this product suggests to tape the scuff plates on the metal part of the door. It doesn't make sense to me. The plastic part sits higher than the metal part. That is the part most people would step on, so that's where I installed the scuff plates.

Perhaps it's more for aesthetics to have it on the metal part. Hopefully this thread is useful for somebody.

This is how I installed mine:

ehkd94.jpg

347ff4l.jpg

5dkmsp.jpg

This is how the Ebay listing suggests to install them (photo stolen from KnurledNut. Link below):

cx-5-door-sills-proj-006.jpg

Here's a link to another thread on this forum regarding the door sills. I Found this one helpful as well.
Thread: DIY Door Sills

I believe the reason is that the paint is more likely to get noticeable dings than the plastic. The plastic can be clean up pretty easy IMO.

yeah its to prevent scratches and dings on the metal body, the plastics are relatively easy to replace if they get messed up, not so much the body

I have those shoes. Also in my car the plastic gets very dirty. If they had plain sills I would consider getting 2 sets; one with no logo.

I just tapped into the wiring going to the door that turns on my little stock puddle light. Was extremely easy in all truth.

One month into owning this CX-5 Sport and it has been great.

I found myself stepping on the door sill a lot when I am exiting the car, so I bought the Ebay door sills so that I don't have to wipe down the plastic as much.

The thing is, the photo on the Ebay listing as well as the previous threads I've read on this product suggests to tape the scuff plates on the metal part of the door. It doesn't make sense to me. The plastic part sits higher than the metal part. That is the part most people would step on, so that's where I installed the scuff plates.

Perhaps it's more for aesthetics to have it on the metal part. Hopefully this thread is useful for somebody.

This is how I installed mine:

ehkd94.jpg

347ff4l.jpg

5dkmsp.jpg

This is how the Ebay listing suggests to install them (photo stolen from KnurledNut. Link below):

cx-5-door-sills-proj-006.jpg

Here's a link to another thread on this forum regarding the door sills. I Found this one helpful as well.
Thread: DIY Door Sills

Have just ordered scuff plates off ebay.... Hope they look as good on my Zeal Red as they do in the photos posted here.

My cill protectors arrived yesterday, I fitted them this morning. When I was fitting them I noticed a couple of the cills were already showing scratches, after only a month or so.

Haven't worked out how to get images to show without having to click links... Sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 694
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 606
I noticed that the Ebay ones have a little downturned lip that would help protect the edge. The OEM does not have that.

Are those stainless steel? And how hard was it to hook up the LED ones?

Last edited:
No idea on the LED ones.... the ones I got are stainless steel.... they came with 3M double sided tape on the back of them, I added some additional tape and stuck them down.

Last edited:
Ninjanoises
How are your door sill so far? I've ordered a set same as yours, not sure where (plastic or metal) to put them. Depends on how they works, I may end up buying tne 2nd set.

I also ordered the same ones but I definitely will put them on the metal. I had Acura with OEM installed sills and I never had problem with exposed plastic that couldn't be fixed with some polishing.

Back