Test drove a 2014 Mazda 6 GT Skyactive 2.5

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
I test drove one mostly because a family member is interested and wanted me to come. I drove it because I wanted to experience the difference in power between the 2.5 in the new 6 and the 2.0 I have in my CX5. I have to say the difference in power is much less than I expected, but it is only 30 horsepower. The 2.5 does have a noticeable difference in power mostly when pushed but its not a big difference, especially in the lower RPM range. It can feel flat footed in the lower rev range just like my CX5. Now it could have been because the car I was driving had 13 miles on it and mine has 11,000 miles so mine is broken in and the 2.5 I drove isn't or maybe it was because I had three passengers in the car. I believe the new 6 has a weight advantage too.

The New 6 is a real nice looking car but the interior feels cramped and somewhat claustrophobic. The roof line is real low and my head was only about an inch or two below it in the front and almost against it in the rear; I am 6'-3" tall. The cabin is quieter than my CX5 but the ride is stiff. The GT had the 19" wheels so I'm sure this contributed to that. I couldn't really take it on any twisty roads but from what I could tell the handling is very secure and sporty and the limits have to be much higher than the CX5 just because of the lower center of gravity. The steering and brakes felt identical to my CX5 with maybe the steering feeling a little more responsive in the CX5; maybe this is because the 6 is so much longer than the CX5. Given the price point I don't see this car dethroning the Honda Accord or and Toyota Camry but being a very good looking great handling niche car. The Camry and Accord are functionally better all around family sedans in my opinion and Honda power trains are hard to beat. Good luck trying to get a deal on one right now too. They already have a waiting list for them and there are no incentives (not surprisingly) for them unless you want a 2012.

Some other things I noticed was when started the Skyactive 2.5 sounds just like my 2.0. The front hood flutters a little in the same spot as my CX5. The interiors look very similar with similar materials (good thing). The leather interior is very nice. This car cost over 30k and I can get a comparably equipped 4 cylinder Honda for less.

Thanks for the report. Such small HP/Torque difference will be eaten by the automatic transmission. I'd probably feel differently in MT models but as we know the new engine ain't available for MT.

Thanks for the report. Such small HP/Torque difference will be eaten by the automatic transmission. I'd probably feel differently in MT models but as we know the new engine ain't available for MT.

The auto transmission with the 2.5L engine will show a very similar percentage increase in power as the same engine would show if it were available with a manual transmission.

But, I agree, it is a relatively small power upgrade. It's not going to turn the CX-5 into a racer.

The auto transmission with the 2.5L engine will show a very similar percentage increase in power as the same engine would show if it were available with a manual transmission.

But, I agree, it is a relatively small power upgrade. It's not going to turn the CX-5 into a racer.

I disagree. What I meant to say is that such small increase would be more tangible in MT vs AT CX-5. Another words, MT drivers would see/feel more of an upgrade than AT ones.

The driver of a car equipped with a manual transmission may perceive small power differences more easily than if he/she had an automatic making the gear change decisions but the percentage increase in actual performance would be very similar between manual and auto. But the 2.5L won't be available with a manual so it's a moot point.

Last edited:
^ Agreed w/MikeM., and Mazda's decision on AT-only for 2.5L will not result in significant lost sales volume in this class of vehicle.

btw - Thanks V8toilet for reporting on the test drive of Mazda6 2.5L. The extra passenger weight probably brought weight up closer to a CX-5 AWD, so the feedback is useful. I expect the performance to be similar to the 1.6L(turbo) Escape upon testing.

I was able to take my test drive alone. And I'm a slender guy, so I don't weight much.
It is definitely swifter than my CX-5. It is still a slow overall experience, however. haha!

And indeed, the 6 weighs a tad less than the CX-5.

^^Agreed, I test drove the 6 speed. Indeed a slow overall experience. Hopefully, a Speed6 is in order. All else, clutch is very soft, not aggressive at all, shifting has no notch to it, handling very good. As for interior space, it ain't very roomy I'll have to say that. You are wrapped. I feel similar in the CX5 as well though.

. This car cost over 30k and I can get a comparably equipped 4 cylinder Honda for less.
I was close between the CR-V and the CX-5 for me. The release of the 2014 with the larger engine sealed it. Also, if the GT is what you want, the tech package is a good deal. With other competitors its like a 1000 more for the same (or less) features. I this respect I don't think you can get a good of a deal. So far I am very pleased (cheers2)

The 30 HP is worth it (plus the price difference between '13 and '14 was a small when I was getting offers from dealers). 30 hp isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but when it's vehicle specific it makes a big deal. 30 hp is a 20% bump.

Of course, these differences are much more noticeable in Manual cars. The main reason is because modern auto's don't even start in 1st gear most of the time. But when you row your own gears, you almost always start with 1st. When have to get the car rolling on your own, you will feel every bit of extra torque from having more power.

The CX-5 isn't available with a manual transmission AND the 2.5L engine -- this engine only is available on the touring or GT trims with 6-spd autos.

Back