Winter tires on GT

Hi...

Here in Quebec I have to think about winter tires for november...

Do you suggest me to buy 19' or to go with 17' rims?

Thanx

Hi...

Here in Quebec I have to think about winter tires for november...

Do you suggest me to buy 19' or to go with 17' rims?

Thanx

I will probably use the 16" steelies i kept from my previous Speed3.

A lot cheaper to get and there is more choice and availability in 16" then 17" or 19".

Last edited:
Im planning on using the 16s from my traded in escape. I certainly wouldnt go any bigger than 17s for winter wheels.

I would not go 19'' for sure, I am planning to use the 17'' inch wheels I had on the Outlander. I am shopping for some Nokian Hakka R 225-65-17.

I'm hoping for the same thing! Looking at a 225/70/16! Anybody else know of a better size?

I'm hoping for the same thing! Looking at a 225/70/16! Anybody else know of a better size?

235/65/16 will fit with about 1.7% differences. When your speedo reads 100km/h you are actually going 98.3 km/h.

For me 225/70/16 will look a bit chubby.

^^ Fair enough! I was just looking for a little skinnier/taller tire for the winter!

Actually 225/70/16 might be the best option, as going wider might severely decrease traction in winter.. you could go 215/70/16 (3.1% diff) OR 215/75/16 (0.2% diff) if you want skinnier tires, but they will look chubbier. The only option for the latter is the Toyo GSi5, which is not so bad a tire. Much more choice with the former, albeit lower load rating (99-100 vs 103).

That is, IF the 16s fit!

I went with 235 55 r19 on the stock GT wheels I've made the mistake before of downsizing for winter and not being happy with the look of the vehicle for the 7 months of winter we have here so i wanted to stick with the good looking 19s on the GT. there is no rubbing and good clearance. It was the closest size I could find in a decent tire, it's a little taller and wider than the stock tires but so far so good. I think it makes it looks little more aggressive too with the wider knobbier tires. Could be just in my head though lol. The plan is to get summer rims and tires and use the stock rims for winter only. I went with blizzak tires basically because that was all that was available (guess I waited too long) lol.

Last edited:
Sound good, but did you know Blizzaks are only about 50% winter tire? Once they start wearing past that much wear the extra traction is gone.

Sound good, but did you know Blizzaks are only about 50% winter tire? Once they start wearing past that much wear the extra traction is gone.

Like I said I only went with blizzak tires because that was all that was available at the time. That's dissapointing to hear though. Do you know this from personal experience?

Knowledge from working in a tire shop, but this quote is from the tirerack website explaing:

"How Long Will Blizzak Winter / Snow Tires Last?

The Blizzak WS-tires Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.

We have personal experience on a wide range of vehicles from sports cars to SUVs. Our experience, and that of our customers, indicates that Blizzak winter / snow tires will typically provide 12,000 to 15,000 miles of winter service before wearing out their Multicell tread compound. Therefore, Blizzaks are providing an estimated three to four winter seasons of wear from their Multicell tread compound for the driver who drives an average total of 15,000 miles per year (with 3,000 to 4,000 winter miles per year).

Blizzak winter / snow tires are not recommended to be reinstalled when their tread depth has worn down to the "snow platform" tread depth indicators before the start of the winter season."

Looks like the quote you have there is talking about the blizzak WS series tires, I have the DM-V1 tires on my cx5. I believe the DM-V1 is a newer version of blizzak so hopefully they have made some improvements.

I kept my Toyo mounted on steely from my Tribute (16'') and it fit perfectly. Only had to buy new nuts because the original was short a little bit.
Very happy with the ride. I though it will felt more softer and bumpy but it almost fell like the orginal tire/size.

Tire size is 235/70R16.
Actual speed: 60 mph(100km/h) Speedometer: 59.0 mph(98.4 km/h)
Speedometer Difference: 1.545% too slow
Diameter Difference: 1.52%

Looks like the quote you have there is talking about the blizzak WS series tires, I have the DM-V1 tires on my cx5. I believe the DM-V1 is a newer version of blizzak so hopefully they have made some improvements.

I have a strong feeling the special rubber is only used for the first 55% of the tread because after you've burned through 55% of the available tread on the snow tire, there isn't enough tread depth left for "optimal" snow performance. The fact that bridgestone uses a different (probably cheaper) rubber compound for the underlying layer is likely irrelevant.

I kept my Toyo mounted on steely from my Tribute (16'') and it fit perfectly. Only had to buy new nuts because the original was short a little bit.
Very happy with the ride. I though it will felt more softer and bumpy but it almost fell like the orginal tire/size.

Tire size is 235/70R16.
Actual speed: 60 mph(100km/h) Speedometer: 59.0 mph(98.4 km/h)
Speedometer Difference: 1.545% too slow
Diameter Difference: 1.52%

Where are you able to find the information about the different tire size diameters? Website link? thanks in advance...

Back