Sub Needed

:
CX5 Automatic Blue
I've had my CX5 for a few months and a sub is now needed. I have an HD radio but not the Bose. Does the factory deck have the pre outs needed to hook up an amp?

You will need a line output converter to add RCA's to the factory radio. I would recommend an audiocontrol LC2i if you're just adding a sub. I had a cheap LOC in my 3 and it sounded terrible then I switched to the audiocontrol and it was 100% better. Also spend a little more and get a good quality pair of RCA cables. I am waiting for my LC6i to get here to add a 5ch amp to my CX-5 and will write it up when I put it in today or tomorrow.
Also, audiocontrol products will work with BOSE systems.

Last edited:
Yes, you could do that for the high level inputs (with the JL amp). Some other amps accept high level (speaker wire) inputs but generally they don't sound as good as a line output converter. Consider the distance to where your amp will be too, if you're going to mount the amp in the hatch somewhere you would get a cleaner signal with less chance of noise by running a line output converter and low level RCA's to your amp. You can get a cheap non-powered PAC adapter for something like 15 dollars, or get a powered one like the audiocontrol and get a cleaner signal and run a higher voltage to your amp.

Kipperman, that is the amp I almost got but I found the Polk PA D5000.5 on amazon that is almost identical except it has a more powerful subwoofer channel and comes with the remote gain module for $290 and free shipping. You can also run a single pair of RCA cables to it and it will automatically send the signal to all the other channels which is a nice feature if you need it. I will be installing mine Friday and can give more notes on it then.

milkyxj,
thanks for the advice on AMP. I will definetly check that one out. I've been drooling over the alpine PDX-v9 but it may be a tad cost prohibitive for me

Back