Front Bumper License Plate Bracket

plemieux

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Stormy Blue Mica
This is for CX-5 owners, did anyone receive a front license plate bracket/holder with the vehicle? The reason I ask is because the last car I owned was a 2010 Honda Fit and it came with a license plate holder for the front bumper. It was not already installed I had to ask the dealer to put it on. The Mazda dealer didn't even ask if I wanted a front plate installed or not.

btw I live in Tennessee and front plates are not required by law, however, every dealership i've dealt with previously always offered to put one on anyway if I wanted it.

Also to add to that, did anyone receive a copy of the pre-delivery checklist that the dealer does before you take delivery? I remember getting a copy of it when I bought my last car from Honda. This Mazda dealership didn't give me a copy of it and I am starting to wonder how well they did with it. Tires are overinflated (38psi instead of factory recommended 34) and no windshield washing fluid. Also found pieces of clear plastic stuck to the wheels. I am assuming this is the protective stuff that comes on it from the factory during shipping.

No checklist, I did my checking at home.

In CA, 2 holes are all you get for front plate. The area where it's mounted is flat and intended for a plate, no prob (I took plate off and looked carefully, I'll put regular license plate on in a few months).

Just two holes for Australia as well. Front plates are compulsory in all Australian states (each state has different laws and plates). Typically though, the front plates are so small that they're insignificant.

Just two holes in MA, where we are required to have front plates.

I did receive my checklist. The survey mazda sent me several days later indicated the dealers are required to give it to buyers. I'd be sure to leave some negative feedback on the survey for your dealer.

Conclusion: For most markets a bracket is not required, by design. The area for plate mounting on bumper is purposely oversized and flat and can accomodate most license plates without a bracket.

Anyone Notice This?

Tubular screw receptacles behind the plate mounting holes; anyone know the appropriate type/size screws?

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    734.2 KB · Views: 1,588
I got a complete check list at deliveries and my CX5 came with an extra front license plate holder in the trunk.

Tubular screw receptacles behind the plate mounting holes; anyone know the appropriate type/size screws?

I just drilled holes into the bumper where the marked dimples were and if you're talking about the hardware behind these dimples just make sure the screw you're putting in has a tight fit as I believe it's just plastic and forms its own threads once you put the screw in. It's not like the back plate holes where there are metal threads.

I got a checklist.
No bracket from the dealer. I was actually going to stop by and ask for one today.

I got a checklist.
No bracket from the dealer. I was actually going to stop by and ask for one today.

Let me know if you were able to get one or not. My dealer doesn't have one or know what I am talking about.

I just drilled holes into the bumper where the marked dimples were and if you're talking about the hardware behind these dimples just make sure the screw you're putting in has a tight fit as I believe it's just plastic and forms its own threads once you put the screw in. It's not like the back plate holes where there are metal threads.
Did you car come with 2 sets of screws for the front and back or did you have to buy those?

They only came with the set for the back plates. I bought the front ones on ebay for really cheap, drilled the holes and tightened the screws.

Let me know if you were able to get one or not. My dealer doesn't have one or know what I am talking about.

Dealer said they don't carry them for the CX-5. They said to mount it directly on it.
I'll look around for something aftermarket I suppose to protect the bumper.

They said to mount it directly on it.
I'll look around for something aftermarket I suppose to protect the bumper.

This is why I was looking for a bracket in the first place. I guess if all else fails i'll just have to put some rubber bumpers on the back of the license plate so it doesn't eat away at the paint.

...It's not like the back plate holes where there are metal threads.

my back plate holes don't have metal threads (that I can see), just plastic, and one of the holes feels like it is stripped. Should I drill new holes offset from the old holes (or stick to the dimples)? Or is there a way to get behind the plastic to add a nut to the inside to firmly secure the plate?

BTW I only tightened to a point for firmness and didn't try to over tighten them understanding I was securing it to plastic and the threads were holding the screw in place.

Forgot about this post!
The dealer doesn't have anything. Said to look online.
Running with out one for the time being.

Back