PDA

View Full Version : Gauges disappoint

erhayes
04-14-2012, 08:01 PM
My CX7 has a genuine water temperature gauger and it appears that the CX5 doesn't even have that. I prefer at a minimum to have a real oil pressure and water temp gauge. For a company that sells Zoom Zoom vehicles as drivers cars, I expected more.

inodes
04-14-2012, 11:12 PM
My CX7 has a genuine water temperature gauger and it appears that the CX5 doesn't even have that. I prefer at a minimum to have a real oil pressure and water temp gauge. For a company that sells Zoom Zoom vehicles as drivers cars, I expected more.

In modern cars is it really necessary? Cars are tested for the countries they're destined for. The US is one market a car maker has to get it right because there are examples of extreme cold and extreme hot.

When are they really needed? Mainly when temperatures are at their extreme, and even then just a warning that temperatures are too hot or too cold are required. Operating temperatures are quite expansive.

A lesson Australian car makers found when they started exporting to the Middle East was that temperature gauges had to be completely redesigned. Despite Australia being a hot country in parts, the Middle East was often at close to maximum temperatures.

The engine oil temperature gauge was changed to make what would be red in Australia, to be normal in the Middle East.
Around this, maintenance schedules were altered to compensate for the hot conditions.

Mazda does a LOT of study regarding ergonomics for their vehicles. Everything should be in reach and be user friendly.
Temperature gauges have been considered to be futile now because the temperature extreme warnings are present anyway.

Removing gauge cluster clutter leads to a very easy display for drivers to use.

Going from night club like lit Mazda 3 to the CX-5, it's taken only a couple hours to appreciate the hard work Mazda has put in the display.
It's very easy to understand at a glance.

prhac
04-15-2012, 04:44 AM

I at first missed them when I got my Mazad 3. But I don't now.

erhayes
04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
I expect no gauges for a dull daily driver car but, not a "zoom zoon drivers car. Ed

inodes
04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I expect no gauges for a dull daily driver car but, not a "zoom zoon drivers car. Ed

I expect gauges in anything from a Mazdaspeed 3 through to a Nissan GT-R (which has more gauges than the Starship Enterprise).

MX-5 had two temp gauges. Mazda 6 & 3 had engine temp.

I agree that an engine temp gauge would be useful. But in that respect, the blue warning light does this job (albeit a bit like sticking a wet finger in the air to see if its windy).

prhac
04-15-2012, 11:26 AM

When I said I don't miss them now, mine is a Mazdaspeed. From what I've seen on modern cars, even if there were a temperature gauge, it would show a constant reading. On other recent cars with them the pointer never deviates.

erhayes
04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I like to see what is going on and I don't appreciate the manufacture saving 1 dollar by eliminating an oil pressure and water temp gauge.

JTNY
04-15-2012, 04:03 PM
This is a Cross over utility vehicle, im not sure of any other passenger car in this class that has Oil pressure gauge. Temp gauge I can agree that it would be nice to have but I think manufacturers are going away from that now.

cmceleste
04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
I like the simplicity with the lack of information from gauges. Dumby lights all the way!

dasayheykid
04-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Curious, does your CX7 have a turbo?

inodes
04-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Curious, does your CX7 have a turbo?

I didn't know there was a non turbo CX-7 until I checked the website. They're beastly!

CX-SV
04-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Non-issue for me. I think Mazda intentionally went the blue light / red light route with temperature instead of the gauge, mainly because the engine is direct injected and a bit slow to warmup like most direct injection engines. In short, you just wait for the blue light to go out before driving the car hard.

I also have another direct-injected car with a normal gauge and it's even slower to warm-up. I have to watch the gauge carefully before driving the car hard.

erhayes
04-16-2012, 02:32 PM
If Mazda is going to cheap out on gauges then they at least need a gauge pack as an option. Oil pressure, water temperature and ?

inodes
04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
If Mazda is going to cheap out on gauges then they at least need a gauge pack as an option. Oil pressure, water temperature and ?

Mazda's done the opposite of cheaping out with the CX-5.
For the past 30 years, they've gone to part bins, shared with Ford and improved processes slightly only going to a gram by gram review from the MX5 onwards.

The CX-5 is the first vehicle they've thrown every out the window.

The redesigned the processes of design taking everything into a direct design process with all engineering and design teams (the US did a similar thing with their last new nuclear sub - which was a project that couldn't be done without that leaning process). They've designed a completely new chassis, completely new engines (first time Mazda's done this in decades), completely new transmissions (ditto).

I've watched quite a lot of the Japanese documentaries covering this. Wish they would release subtitled versions, because it's very, very impressive stuff and has a lot of car enthusiasts in Japan very impressed.

The total sum just to get to this point is estimated to be well over $2 billion - which is quite long term thinking and has put the company into debt.

They certainly haven't cheaped out. They've just concentrated on everything else that needed work.

smithsm1984
04-16-2012, 06:21 PM
What's the big deal about gauges? What do you use them for? I've had gauges for the past 10 years on other vehicles and only once did it show me that my car was overheating, which I assume the light would do anyway.

I guess they're reassuring but I don't see them having a purpose.

CX-SV
04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Agreed, temp gauges tend to get ignored, although they do look pretty/sporty/fancy on the dash.

I really think the blue light (and red light) is meant to keep drivers attention during the critical warmup period. Once the engine is up to proper operating temperature, no need to see anything on the dash. At least Mazda has provided some intelligence with its dummy lights regarding temp.

The fact is the CX-5 Grand Touring has over 90% of the luxury equipment of premium brands at considerably lower price. I don't view the temp gauge vs warning lights as a big cost savings. I have found other cost saving measures that are more significant that truly keep the cost and MSRP down (examples: no rear AC vents, non-power passenger seat, no platform or mat on dead peddle, moonroof doesn't have one-touch closing so it probably doesn't have automatic safety stop)

sami1228
04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Speaking of the blue/red light ... Do I really have to wait until the blue light turns off? Because in even comfortable temperature... the light is on for like 2 minutes...

CX-SV
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
No you don't have to wait for blue light to go out. Drive it moderately until the light goes out. The best way to warm up the engine is to drive it moderately (not to let it sit on driveway idling waiting for it to warmup which actually takes longer to reach normal temp).

Yes, don't redline and thrash the engine until the blue light is off.

reggie5
04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Really are any of us planning on taking our cx-5's to the strip or on some serious off road trails. Unless you are, but i dont think you should these extra gauges are not need. And if it really bothers you that much, give it 6 months and someone will make an a-pillar gauge pod or something else like that for you to attach whatever gauges you need.

CX-SV
04-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Lol, some fake forward view-blocking pillar-mounted gauges, just what it needs for full street racer effect...

Puja McGriddle
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Whether we like it or not they're all going in this direction. Current M3 has no oil dipstick, for example.
The days of digital sensors only are upon us.

That said, the coolant temp is a very important temp to know, as there are obviously different levels of "overheating" - knowing if it's overheating by 1' or 100' matters.

CX-SV
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Regarding overheating, the red indicator has 2 modes to indicate 2 important and different levels of overheating, (one mode is flashing red light, the other is red light stays on).

So really what Mazda is doing with the blue light and red light (which has 2 modes) is giving the driver important information that they might otherwise not notice with a regular gauge.

Modshack
05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
When I said I don't miss them now, mine is a Mazdaspeed. From what I've seen on modern cars, even if there were a temperature gauge, it would show a constant reading. On other recent cars with them the pointer never deviates.

Correct...Most gauges on cars these days are bogus. Oil pressure gauges are generally simple on/off switches with analog displays. You have it or you don't..
Water temp gauges are usually "Smoothed". For instance, my GTI shows 190 degrees when the actual temp ranges anywhere from 160 to 220. With "gauges" like this, they're pretty worthless..

CX-SV
05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
If most temp gauges are bogus, no wonder Mazda went to blue light and 2 phase red light ,for temp which provides some helpful data to driver.

ManMachine
05-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Let's see, BMW took away the temperature gauge, the oil dipstick, and the spare tire. Talking about the ultimate driving machine.

In comparison, CR-V's tach gauge is now tiny on the left corner. CX-5 gauges look fine to me.

dano_carrie
05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Gauges are not needed.....takes nothing away from this great driving cuv.

V8toilet
05-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Most of those gauges are not accurate anyway. They're more for show. I didn't even notice my Mazda didn't have one until a week after I bought it. most of the time I was looking at the current MPG and Average MPG like this (wow).

jtsimaras
08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
No need we are not driving a sports car.

CX-SV
08-19-2012, 01:15 PM
In reality, non-issue.

GiddyGoanna
08-20-2012, 03:39 AM

I was initially apprehensive when I bought new Honda Jazz without Temp guage 8yrs ago.
Main concern was that there were different "degrees" of overheating. Knowing where your temp needle normally sits gives an early indication of a problem if it reads above that point. Nice to know CX5 has two overheating indicators (flashing or constant red).

I must say that appearance, location, calibration and colour of instrument cluster/dials is of great importance to me.
They are something that you look at often, must be functional and pleasing to the eye.
My least favoured instrument colour is red (too angry) and is why I have avoided Mazdas thus far.
Prefer soft blues or whites. LOVE the CX5 dials. Very modern an clear/uncluttered.
Would consider a volkswagen polo for it's similarly grat looking cluster.
Desperately want a Toyota86, but ughh the red dials, and so crowded, lacking in clarity. (I like 10km/hr speed and 500rpm increments).
Some say that I am borderline OCD!

Keke12
04-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Please stop the nonsense. If this is useless why the Cx-9 has a temp gauge.
Not having one is disadvantageous to say the least.
I have had a car with faulty thermostat and it kept the engine overly cool. There is no way to measure and diagnose that kind of a problem without a temp gauge. There is no possible way to know if your car heats up quickly or slowly, indicating how you manage the engine, especially on long hauls/climbs/downhill descends.
The lack of temp gauge cannot be explained by "no one needs it" because there are plenty of features not needed but existent. For instance, the tachometer, the outside temp gauge, the automatic gearbox selector, etc. It is inexcusable mistake, and the option of not having it on the dash is really annoying!

Modshack
04-10-2014, 02:07 PM
The lack of temp gauge cannot be explained by "no one needs it" because there are plenty of features not needed but existent. For instance, the tachometer, the outside temp gauge, the automatic gearbox selector, etc. It is inexcusable mistake, and the option of not having it on the dash is really annoying!

I don't know if you are aware if this, but on most cars these days, the temp "Gauge" is no more than an idiot light. The output has been smoothed and dithered to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy.
For instance, My VW(s) register 190 (normal) when the actual (Scangauge) verified temp is anywhere from 155 to 225. Many many cars are like this. It's essentially worthless. Just like the oil pressure gauge on an MX5 which is nothing more than an idiot light attached to a gauge face.

Don't sweat the lights.

erhayes
04-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Just because "other" vehicles in this class do not have gauges is only an excuse, to compare lessor vehicles imo. The spece needed for an oil and water temp gauge could have be taken for the 120 to 160 mph speedomenter space.

Beefy
04-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Detail one instance where the lack of a temp and oil gauge has caused a specific issue.

Modshack
04-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Just because "other" vehicles in this class do not have gauges is only an excuse, to compare lessor vehicles imo. The spece needed for an oil and water temp gauge could have be taken for the 120 to 160 mph speedomenter space.

Lessor vehicles?? Sure we all love our CX5's but honestly, the market is saturated with these small SUV's that will be likely driven by soccer mom types. You think they want/need a gauge?...LOL.. Heck, they'll likely keep driving with CEL's and warning lights flashing on the dash.
Honestly, it's not that important, especially if the gauge doesn't output REAL data as most do. False security

V8toilet
04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
The CX9 cost a lot more money than the CX5 does. I think having a temp gauge today is a throwback to the 80's and early 90's. If you really need to know the temperature of the coolant than you could always acquire a scan gauge.

Modshack
04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
The CX9 cost a lot more money than the CX5 does. I think having a temp gauge today is a throwback to the 80's and early 90's. If you really need to know the temperature of the coolant than you could always acquire a scan gauge.

And that's the only way to get an accurate reading..

erhayes
04-10-2014, 08:43 PM
As a person who enjoys driving and really appreciates the engineering of the CX5, I would have really an the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. If it impacted the cost too much then it should be offered as an accessory that matches the instrument cluster so it looks like it was engineered for the vehicle. Ed

Chris_Top_Her
04-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Gauges are nice for noticing trends that may indicate a potential problem.

Beefy
04-10-2014, 10:28 PM
As a person who enjoys driving and really appreciates the engineering of the CX5, I would have really an the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. If it impacted the cost too much then it should be offered as an accessory that matches the instrument cluster so it looks like it was engineered for the vehicle. Ed

100% pure grade A OCD. Honestly, please provide one realistic circumstance where this would genuinely be more useful than a properly implemented warning light.

CX5racer
04-11-2014, 12:21 AM
I did not even realize there was not oil or temp gauge until after I purchased the car. Once I noticed it (on the drive home) I was a bit miffed. I grew up with every car I owned having some form of a temp, amp and oil pressure gauge. The issue I have is that typically when the light goes on by the time you pull over it's too late the damage is done. My prior cars all had V8 engines and were more performance oriented and being able to monitor trends as noted by Chris_Top_her is exactly what they are used for. So I decided I'm not going to worry about it and like someone else said my wife who is driving the CX-5 would most likely not even notice when a temp or oil pressure is off anyway, the light I hope does get her attention though.

CX-SV
04-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Yes I remember my pushrod V8's, 4 speed transmissions and 3000 mile oil change intervals too, plus the 4 gauges next to speedo and tach... Not missing it much.

CX5racer
04-11-2014, 01:09 AM
And the ability to lay down 2 black stripes and catch rubber in every gear.......ahhhhhh yes the good old days.

RedBaron
04-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Gauges are nice for noticing trends that may indicate a potential problem.
Agree here.

Plus for me, a much more mundane use is for cold mornings, so I know when I can turn on cabin heat/fan (my car doesn't have climate control). I REALLY miss the gauge on my car, for this reason alone! Another reason is so you don't over-stress the engine (accelerate hard) until it is up to heat. Driving hard on cold/cool oil promotes engine wear and reduces ring and bearing life.

100% pure grade A OCD. Honestly, please provide one realistic circumstance where this would genuinely be more useful than a properly implemented warning light.

Now, admittedly, the majority of "soccer moms" and drivers here (given the "when would you need it?" responses above) know nothing about mechanical engineering and how to maintain their cars and so would not miss it. But others of us do. So why would you defend the absence of a gauge? What's it to you?

Beefy
04-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Now, admittedly, the majority of "soccer moms" and drivers here (given the "when would you need it?" responses above) know nothing about mechanical engineering and how to maintain their cars and so would not miss it. But others of us do.

If cars had proper temperature and oil gauges you might have a point. But the dinky little dials you are lusting for are next to useless. Do you start going fast when the dial is 1 bar from the bottom? 2? 3? Do you stop driving when it is 4 from the top? Completely arbitrary. In contrast, the little blue light is actually more informative than a dumb gauge. From most of the data on here, the light turns on/off at very specific temperatures.

So why would you defend the absence of a gauge? What's it to you?

Arguing against nerd rage is my very mild superpower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghxnKDBadSk

Gio26NJ
04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
From past experiences with all sorts of vehicles I've owned, Oil gauges served little to no purpose but the Temp and Battery gauges have helped me identify a few issues. Do I look at them constantly? not really but I do know where they usually sit and if I do happen to look and they are higher or lower than where they should be that there may be a problem somewhere.

CX-SV
04-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Regarding overheating, the red indicator has 2 modes to indicate 2 important and different levels of overheating, (one mode is flashing red light, the other is red light stays on).

So really what Mazda is doing with the blue light and red light (which has 2 modes) is giving the driver important information that they might otherwise not notice with a regular gauge.

As noted earlier ^, actually useful.

fdew
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Here is an example of adding a couple of gauges.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839091-Here-s-what-an-unemployed-engineer-does-to-his-CX-5-sport!!!
If it was an option I would probably go for it. As to why what do they do? They are as useful as carbon fiber look dash covers. If people like them then they are good.

RG_Flyer
04-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Based on most of the comments here, in today's world, with computers to monitor everything, do we need anything other than a speedometer and miles to empty gauge?

I agree a tachometer with an automatic is silly. It serves absolutely no purpose. In the old days, only manuals had tachometers anyhow.

profiler
05-06-2014, 06:17 PM
New member here and apologies for minor necro post .....but Keke12 raises a good point. I've spent 10 years driving BMW diesels and the later models don't have temperature gauges. Now this, in my experience, is causing issues with not knowing when vehicles are getting up to correct temperature or indeed warming up correctly. On the Beemers, once you get beyond around 70,000 miles, the thermostats (there are two - main cooling system and also for EGR valve) get lazy and the car takes longer to warm up and does not reach the proper operating temperature. This causes issues on the BMW's with DPF regeneration - as in, the regeneration will not be triggered (worst case) or not triggered as frequently as necessary. I diagnosed thermostat problems on both an E92 and E46 by buying a cheap OBDII Bluetooth adapter and installing the Torque application on my android phone - provides all sorts of real-time data and code reading. Not sure if would work with Mazda. What I can say is the BMW E46 has a temperature gauge and after diagnosing a thermostat issue and replacing, the OEM temp guage would get up to where it was supposed to be more quickly, but it still reached the same mid point as with the lazy thermostat, despite the OBD II data telling me it had been running 8 degrees (Celsius) below optimum temperature. So what use is a temp gauge which is OEM but doesn't show this type of issue ? None. What is the value in knowing you are up to temp on a modern diesel with DPF ? Immense IMHO.

I also note that when driving my CX5 the blue light goes out real fast, and I suspect that it goes out way before full operating temperature is reached. Maybe there's some additional ECU logic which re-lights the blue light if the correct temp is not reached after x amount of time ? I still worry .. and when I build up more miles I'm going to try the OBD interface so I know what temp it runs at.

CX-SV
05-06-2014, 07:14 PM
profiler - Nice reminder of why I don't want a BMW diesel with DPF, for reasons even more significant than lack of a temp gauge.

I don't worry about lack of temp gauge in my 2.0L Skyactiv gasser. I think Mazda did the right thing by including a tach, I actually require it.

NorCal_MP3
05-07-2014, 01:14 AM
God. people will complain about anything and everything...

psistolic
05-07-2014, 01:32 AM
profiler - I agreed with you and what keke12 said.
The whole argument of whether a factory analog temperature gauge should be included ends up going out the window if all it does is provide a "dummy" mid-point stop, and if that's the case, might as well not waste the space for it.

But also consider this:
Even a tachometer on a manual transmission vehicle is not entirely needed, I mean, most people I know who drive manuals will shift by feel and engine sound, no one really stares at the tach while driving.
But I still want it there anyway!
I love gauges, rather, I love information!
It's good information to have when needed, even when not frequently used.

But then again, having access to too much information defeats its very purpose!
There are those that don't understand what to do with all that information, and would view all the mechanical gauges as an eye sore and a waste.

In this day and age, I'm thoroughly surprised that new cars dont have an option to drag and drop desired engine parameters to be displayed on a screen.
Something like the Nissan GTR, where the center screen can be customized to whatever information is desired by the driver.
The ecu requires all of these things in order to run smoothly, so all the sensors are already there anyway.
Most cars already have an lcd screen nowadays, so it's just a matter of writing code and firmware.

profiler
05-07-2014, 06:44 AM
God. people will complain about anything and everything...

I take it that's directed at someone else and not me ? Because I'm not complaining - just pointing out that knowing the exact engine temp is quite important on modern diesels with DPF filters. This issue is not isolated to BMW's (other than the replacement DPF's being pigging expensive) .... and having checked my temp numbers, replaced thermostats and changed coolant etc, plus enough of the right driving to force regeneration, I'm on 125,000 miles with original DPF.

I agree that an OEM temp guage isn't essential, especially if all it does is show a mid point with + or - 10 degrees variance not showing up, what is key for me is knowing that the engine is still working properly (and therefore that the thermostats haven't gone lazy).

CX-SV
05-14-2014, 07:03 PM
Maybe the temp gauge could be included with diesels, but again (as with the Skyactiv gasoline engines) probably unnecessary.

I don't know the various warning lights and electronic monitoring already included with the Mazda diesels. The modern warning methods used by Mazda tend to be more sophisticated and better at warning drivers than buffered temp gauges that simulate accurate information. DPF problems and related expense is another significant topic of course...