Gas mileage question

awmenard

:
Mazda cx5
Hey folks, just wondering if Im doing something wrong? After owning my CX5 for a little more then a week my gas mileage average is showing 9.9L/100km that equals to about 24MPG.

My wife has been driving the CX5 most of the time, so I can really comment too much on the driving habits, but I she does mostly highway, we have about 840km right now.

We own a CX5 GT AWD. I see lots of you reporting 30MPG or more. Coming from a CX7 GT its a lot better but was hoping t get close to 700km on a tank, right now Im closer to 580 around.

Should my average go up after a certain amount of mileage has been put on the engine?

Just wondering what kind of numbers you guys are getting?

After owning my CX5 for a little more then a week my gas mileage average is showing 9.9L/100km that equals to about 24MPG.

That is lower than the Mazda claim of 25/31 mpg (city, hwy) stated here: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs2&vehicleCode=CX5.

I've been keeping mileage records on my cars for over thirty years, and each entry in my log book is a 3-tank rolling average. That is the best way to do this calculation.

Report back on this, please, after another few fill-ups.

I have put 650 miles on my cx5 in the past few weeks...i am averaging 25.7 mpg ...I was thinking that I would be getting much better gas mileage since most of the miles driven have been highway...not to mention I have been babying the crap out of the car...most of my time spent driving has been around 65-70 mph. I just am not understanding how Mazda is claiming 30+ mpg with this vehicle.

I am only on my second tank of gas, and have been doing mostly local street driving and my average mpg has been around 26-27. On my way back from the dealership the first night, I took the highway and the read out was showing in the 30's. Right after I filled up the tank for the first time, I zeroed out the display and was on the highway and the avg was in the 30's again.

I have a GT FWD. Even though your wife is doing highway driving, is she in stop and go traffic? That would drop the mpg drastically. My highway driving was clear.. I also haven't been blasting the a/c. I keep it on one or two bars mostly.

You guys should all join Fuelly.com and track your mileage on there. So far, there's only two people with CX-5s. That way we can all get a good idea of what to expect!

I'm finding the same with my CX-5. I think there should be a break in period before the car gets to it's best.

My Touring FWD, and got 28.72 mpg all city. The computer read 28.75 so I guess the computer is pretty accurate too. I did continue to top off the tank when I first filled up and then stopped when it clicked on the 2nd fill up when I read somewhere that I shouldn't be doing that so it may be just a little less. I have been babying it to an extreme until I reach 1000 miles. Haven't stepped on it hard since test driving it.

It seems like the higher MPG ratings on here are coming from the FWD models were as yours is AWD which would have something to do with. Also I now that my wife gets worse mileage when she drives because she feels that she has to accelerate quickly and is a more aggressive driver which may be another part of your equation.

Took a trip and I've driven 289 miles and I still shows half a tank! computer says my average is 36.2 mpg. Been doing 65to 75mph speeds but mostly around 68mph. I'm ecstatic on my mpg and love the quick 6spd manual <3! The tank before I did a bit more city driving and I was still getting close to an avg of around 33 mpg. Keep in mind the this is babying the pedal.

I'm averaging 19.3MPG after three tanks of gas and 850miles, AWD, driving around suburbia mostly @ 35mph, although the computer says avg 18mph..
Although I wouldn't think AWD would make that much of a difference as Mazda claims it runs in FWD until it detects slippage..

I'm averaging 19.3MPG after three tanks of gas and 850miles, AWD, driving around suburbia mostly @ 35mph, although the computer says avg 18mph..
Although I wouldn't think AWD would make that much of a difference as Mazda claims it runs in FWD until it detects slippage..

Lots of city driving at low speeds with stop-and-go is going to hit the gas mileage pretty bad. But give it a bit until break-in is over. Some new cars struggle to receive stated mileage until after a few thousand miles.

I'm quite satisfied with the fuel economy so far here, it seems to have about the same MPG/L/100km that I had with my Mazda3 most of the time and far lower that what I had with a Mazda6 (averaging 10L/100km) that I drove for a few months before getting the CX-5.

I have yet to take it on the highway for a longer trip than the daily commute, but at this time the trip computer shows 8.3L/100km mostly driven daily on a short path of "highway" at ~110km and the rest is city driving.

Last edited:
Hope the fuel economy numbers improve for you guys. I would hate to see Mazda lying about the mpg for the CX-5.

do Canadian models come with i-stop? as for "improving numbers" i've got to be a little skeptical... it's always the same story... "not broken in yet" or my favorite "winter blend".... i dont think i have ever seen a thread where someone comes few months later and said "wow! after 5k miles my mileage got so much better!"

do Canadian models come with i-stop? as for "improving numbers" i've got to be a little skeptical... it's always the same story... "not broken in yet" or my favorite "winter blend".... i dont think i have ever seen a thread where someone comes few months later and said "wow! after 5k miles my mileage got so much better!"

I gained my fuel economy expectations from the Australian government (which does official testing, because it's illegal for manufacturers to produce figures), and media.
Both sources have shown very good fuel economy across the board, although magazines have said that they pushed the vehicle hard and still managed "acceptable" figures.

Back