Lose of traction?

beekermlady

:
CX-9
This is my first post on here, forgive me if it's the wrong spot.

Being as I am one of those females who doesn't know much about cars, except to get the oil changed when the sticker tells me and not to drive around on 'E', I don't really know much about the workings of a car.

Just to get that out of the way. Anyway, the best way to describe the problem I'm having is that when I start to brake or accelerate, I feel like the front of the car is slipping. I've felt it for about three weeks now, not consistently though just after driving the car first thing in the morning, but my husband kept telling me he didn't feel a thing and because the stability control didn't flash, I assumed we were in the clear. Until today. I was about to merge with a lane of traffic that was in turn going to merging on to the interstate and I accelerated hard, the car began to slip and rock back and forth and the stability control light was flashing orange. I took my foot off the gas and let the car coast, trying to avoid overcorrecting and within a few feet (narrowly missing the car to the left of me) I was back on track and just decided to stick to the slow lane until I got home.

We've had the car (used) since May. It's gone across country and back and I just had the tires checked a week ago and the guy said I have a good 3-5,000 miles left on them. I want to take it to the mechanic but I don't know the correct way to describe it to him, that he'd understand it and know what to check.

Any help??

Do you notice this issue only when you "floor" the gas pedal or does it happen even with moderate starts? You live in California so I am assuming you are not on icy or snow packed streets right? Is your CX9 front or all wheel drive?

You also mention a braking probelm. What do you notice when you brake?

3000 miles is only a few month's worth of tread. I suspect your hard acceleration is spinning the tires and activating the TC. Same with braking - heavy vehicle, little tread.....not a good combo.

Get new tires now and see if the problem persists.

^^^ my point exactly.
Change OE tires to better ones.

I used be able to spin OE front tires in rains during medium acceleration off lights.
With new Yoko Parada Spec-X, it has not happened yet.
So much is riding on your tires. Get the best ones you can afford.

+1 WP and Ceric. Tires are the only thing between you and the road. Arguably the most important part on your car when you consider what keeps you safe and secure...brakes are a close second but without good rubber to offer friction against the road, the brakes are going to be less effective. Lack of grip (i.e. friction) is also exactly what's causing your wheels to spin.

+1 WP and Ceric. Tires are the only thing between you and the road. Arguably the most important part on your car when you consider what keeps you safe and secure...brakes are a close second but without good rubber to offer friction against the road, the brakes are going to be less effective. Lack of grip (i.e. friction) is also exactly what's causing your wheels to spin.

I can understand that argument if the condition was occurring mostly in rain or snow/ice etc or when cornering but it doesn't make as much sense as an explanation for abnormal behavior starting on dry pavement. After all, drag racers use slicks because tread gaps just reduce contact with the road.

But don't racing slicks using a much softer, therfore stickier compound? My guess is that if you shaved the treads down on the deulers (or most All Seasons) that the tires wouldn't be sticky like slicks. Treads are designed to be flexible so they can grab at the surface of the road as well as pump away water and snow so that the rubber can meet the road. In beekermlady's case her tread is wearing to the point where there is no longer any flexible tread to grab at the road. IMO

But don't racing slicks using a much softer, therfore stickier compound? My guess is that if you shaved the treads down on the deulers (or most All Seasons) that the tires wouldn't be sticky like slicks. Treads are designed to be flexible so they can grab at the surface of the road as well as pump away water and snow so that the rubber can meet the road. In beekermlady's case her tread is wearing to the point where there is no longer any flexible tread to grab at the road. IMO

I'm sure true dragsters have specially compounded tires but the point is that they do not depend at all on tread for straight line acceleration, just flat surface area in contact with the pavement. Otherwise they would use specially compounded treaded tires instead of slicks. The tread design is mostly (?entirely) for rain and cornering performance as best I can tell.

The OP stated that her mechanic had inspected the tires and said they still have 3000-5000 miles left. That must mean reasonable tread remains as mechanics are more likely to want to sell you a new tire than pass an old one. I cannot imagine why a mechanic would encourage her to drive on truly worn out tires.

I remain confused as to why people on this forum are so quick to jump to the conclusion that the OEM tires are to blame for so many things. The evidence for that in this case is really weak but folks are recommending new tires before any further investigation. ????

Back