Nitrofill?

Zoom3r

My dealer gave me what he called his "special tire service" package when we bought our 2010 CX9. I'm sure I ended up paying for this garbage somewhere although I scrutinized my purchase invoice several times and if he sneaked it in it was buried in the base purchase price for the car.

They claim to have filled my tires with something called "Nitrofill."

What the heck is that and why do I want it? And what happens when my tires need more air pressure? Do I have to hunt down a special place that offers Nitrofill or some other non-air substance?

Sorry if this sounds an absolute newbie question but I've never heard of such a thing.

It's nitrogen, instead of air. If they are charging you for it, pass. There are some minor benefits to nitrogen, but they really aren't worth running around looking for it. Air works just fine, even in our area where we go from single to triple digit temps.

The Infiniti dealer where we were shopping for a new M was quoting $100 for this "service". I bout most spewed my coffee! The local Gateway (a tire dealer) puts nitrogen in all their new tires. If you stop in and want them to replace the plain air in your tires it's $2.50 per.

What a scam.

A. A modern car won;t lose air that fast anyway.

B. Alloy wheels don't rust

C. Air in tires doesn't spontaneously combust.

If someone puts it in free of charge, no harm done. Again, it's not worth paying for.

i got them when i bought tires from costco.

bad thing about nitrogen is if you want to add air you need to go back to their location to do it.

with reg air at least i can do it in my garage.

i got them when i bought tires from costco.

bad thing about nitrogen is if you want to add air you need to go back to their location to do it.

with reg air at least i can do it in my garage.

You can add regular air to tires filled with nitrogen--won't hurt anything.

My wife's new Santa Fe came from the dealer filled with nitrogen. I just add regular air when they are a bit low. They tried to tack on $80 for it, and I refused to pay it. I also tossed the green caps they put on for some nice aftermarket. Hate it when they put those cheap green plastic caps on a nice looking alloy wheel.

Thanks for the info re: mixing air and nitrofill. Since the air pumps give me mostly a nitro/o2 mix anyways, I didn't think there was an issue.

Not sure about the green caps. My wheels are the shiny ones and my valve stems and caps match....shiny metal of some sort.

There was just a little sticker attached to the main sticker showing "Nitrofill" for the tires @ $39 and hand-painted striping (which looks very nice) for $65. When I started negotiating, we were working off of the invoice price and that price didn't include these two options. I got to a price I was comfortable with for the car so if he actually charged me for these it was in his price....I'll never know one way or the other as its not shown on our purchase agreement. Regardless, I was happy with my purchase price as it was below invoice so thats fine.

I just had never heard of Nitrofill before. Its obviously been awhile since I bought a new car. Thanks all!

It's a tiny little advantage they are really playing up to make some easy money off of people who aren't smart enough to learn about it, like you did by asking here.

Does Nitrofill keep a more even pressure when the tires/pavement gets hot?

I know in my Malibu, with normal air the PSI fluctuates about 6 psi on a two hour trip.

nitrogen fill sounds to me like a new marketing scam made to give people a sense of something that doesnt really make a lick of difference.

air is already made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxegen, and remainder a whole bunch of other stuff. as long as the compressor used to fill the tires has an air dryer attached, regular air will work just fine.

nitrogen fill sounds to me like a new marketing scam made to give people a sense of something that doesnt really make a lick of difference.

air is already made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and remainder a whole bunch of other stuff. as long as the compressor used to fill the tires has an air dryer attached, regular air will work just fine.

Exactly! It is supposedly more stable than air, but I think the range of temps you need to reach to see that are so great, it's a moot point. Especially, as njaremka pointed out, air is mostly nitrogen, anyway. The other main benefit is not having that moisture, but with alloy wheels that's not really a problem either, dryer or not.

Snake Oil

Back