Humming at 55 to 65 mph

blkcx9

:
Black cx-9 GT
When I am driving at between 55 and 65mph the car makes a humming noise when holding the pedal at a constant position but if I let up or accelerate it goes away. It is getting worse. Dealer told me that it was tires and I just installed new tires and it is now even louder because the Yokos are so quiet compared to the OEM tires. Could it be vaccum or wheel bearings?

Our also makes a humming noise when you reach 55 mph. Goes away when you reach 57 or so. It does it even when in neutral, or if I take my foot of the gas. So for me, it might be the tires, which I know are wearing somewhat unevenly even though we rotate every 5k miles. Seems also a bit worse since I inflated the tires for the winter.

A bearing noise would not go away, and in any case it would be a high pitch whine, and the pitch would change with speed. Here's what I would try:
(1) Try slapping the car into neutral and see if the issue still persists, might just be a driveline issue.
(2) Try manually changing gears to see if the issue goes away or not. Some cars seem to have this sort of harmonic vibration in certain gears, sometimes prevalent when going up hills. Don't ask me why, but I know my father's Sienna does it.
(3) Play with your tire pressure and see if the vibration starts occuring at different speeds.

This issue has popped up on the forum before, search "humming" and you'll see. It appears there are no definite answers, but lots of theories.

The humming noise may be coming from your outside rear view mirrors. My Mazda5 had a TSB (that also applied to other Mazda vehicles, I just can't remember which ones, CX-9 may have been included) that pertained to the humming/low pitched noise coming from the mirrors. I can't seem to find the TSB but it had to do with covering a small hole/crevice with foam tape which was the culprit of the noise.

I actually have heard a slight humming noise coming from my right mirror area but it doesn't bother me as much because it doesn't do it all the time...come to think of it, it probably doesn't do it because I hardly ever drive 55-60mph I am always in the 75-90mph area...LOL!

Hope this helps.

Back