Blizzak availability

vikefan7

So I just tried to purchase some 245-60-18 Blizzaks from TireRack and they are completely sold out for the year. I was able to get them in 235-65-18's and some wheels though, thankfully. They're running out of those too, so if you want some 18" Blizzaks you better hurry.

What difference in ride quality and performance would there be between these two sizes? And what should I expect in differences in handling between these and the 20's that I am currently running. I'm a pretty spirited driver, am I going to have to drive this thing like an old lady now?

BTW, the whole package set me back about $1229. Ouch.

BTW, the whole package set me back about $1229. Ouch.

$1230 for tires, WTF? My 09 CX9 has 7.5K on it w/ orig 20" tires better not require replacement for another 30K min...

Tires and wheels. Tires were $137 each and wheels were about 140 something. I would expect to pay about $800 to replace your 20" tires with a good all-around tire like the Paradas.

Most people here have replaced their original Duellers between 20,000-30,000 mile range. I don't know if that was because they hated them that much or they wore out. I have seen a few people state that they got 35,000 on them. I'm hoping for that number and hopefully running the winter set will help make the Duellers last longer.

Last edited:
1229 include rims too?

I bought 4 and it was a total of 552, so I'm guessing you had rims too. Yeah mine was backordered until thursday last week which I guess they just got a shipment in and I guess it's gone now :(

well, rims too makes the tire price much more palatable.

what do you guys recommend for good value/good ride 20" tires in a climate of no snow, no Mtn's but hot summers...I do a fair amt of 30-50 mile runs daily. Can you get good tires from a place like Discount Tire that knows how to handle and not damage the air-pressure sensors?

thank you guys and Merry Christmas,
tstex

Lol, yes, much more palatable that rims were included. It would've been another $200 if I had bought the TPMS's but I decided I could live with the annoying light that will be displayed as long as I have them on.

I have bought several sets from America's/Discount Tire for my other vehicles where I live and I haven't had any issues with them. I definitely got this set cheaper at TireRack than I would have at America's Tire or Les Schwab for that matter. They wanted around $1400 for a similar setup. But when buying tires alone I'm still not sold that you'll save money buying from TireRack unless you can mount and balance them yourself.

My Blizzak DMZ-3s are 235/65 R18 from TireRack last year. $1425 complete with TPMS and Sport Edition Rims shipped from DE to MA. Sounds like you got a deal!

After driving them last winter and them being put back on yesterday, they are definitely a bit noisier but not too bad. In snow, ice, and slush phenomenal.

On dry pavement at city speeds they handle quite well also, however I have not pushed them on high speed exit ramps. My biggest complaint is that every one in a while, while driving down the highway at cruising speeds (75 to 85MPH) I sometimes get what I call a "floating" feeling. As if I've started to hydroplane and lose traction with the road. Very scary feeling when driving on completely dry pavement! I attribute this to the soft rubber of the tire. It only happened 3 or 4 times last winter, but nonetheless, not what you expect in clear weather. Also, today I noticed that there is a bit of "play" with the steering wheel driving at highway speeds. Perhaps its the wind but the tires don't "STICK" to the dry pavement like normal tires at high speeds.

Good luck with the new sneakers! She'll love 'em!

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to get a lot of good use out of them. Unfortunately for me the first time I'll probably need them is tomorrow and they don't get here until Wednesday...

My Blizzaks just arrived from Tire Rack. Just in time as they are no longer appearing as in stock.

That's exactly the same setup I purchased from Discount Tire this past week - 235/65/18 Blizzaks on some Sport Edition wheels. They actually ordered the wheels for me from Tirerack and didn't charge me the shipping.

Hopefully I'll have them on next week. And I paid pretty much the same as you did. Mine came to about $1,400 all in, including TPMS sensors. I figured it would be easier than having them unmount the 20" wheels to reuse the sensors.

That's exactly the same setup I purchased from Discount Tire this past week - 235/65/18 Blizzaks on some Sport Edition wheels. They actually ordered the wheels for me from Tirerack and didn't charge me the shipping.

Hopefully I'll have them on next week. And I paid pretty much the same as you did. Mine came to about $1,400 all in, including TPMS sensors. I figured it would be easier than having them unmount the 20" wheels to reuse the sensors.

Did you have the 20" rims and go to 18" rims, new tires and sensors? Was there a specific reason?

Did you have the 20" rims and go to 18" rims, new tires and sensors? Was there a specific reason?

Last year when I looked up the tires, they were about $100+ more per tire. That's $400 more.

Since the 18" tires calculated out to be the same diameter, and the NAV system had tire change calibration through the NAV, it was a no brainer.

I have the 20" wheels and I went with this set up so I can put chains on if I need to. Plus I needed winter tires and didn't want to have to pay $60 twice a year to have them mounted and dismounted.

I bought the Sport Edition SE-14's, which ones did you get?

Which Blizzaks model are you guys talking about here. I'm trying to buy a winter tire for my CX-9 GT AWD 20 inches original rim and permanetly use this rim as my winter tire/rim set. A local Mazda dealer in my area told me that 18" rim is better than the 20" when it comes to winter tire. He said that you will have better stopping distance on 18" rim with winter tire. Is this really true?

That local dealer also offer me a set of Blizzaks LM-25 235/65R18 on Mazda Black steel wheels for US$1568 (tax and intallation included) without the sensors (additional US$184 plus tax) .

In addition he also told me that they can get Blizzaks LM-60 P245/50R20 at price of US$338 per tire plus tax and installation service, that will fit on my 20" allowy wheels.

I think the price is too much, can someone please comments as to what other option available I can consider. 18" vs 20"?

Thanks,

AB

Yeah...go for the 235/65/18. No reason to do the 20" rims in the snow. CX9_SportOwner is right about the 18".

Read my post above. My Blizzak DMZ-3s are 235/65 R18 from TireRack last year. $1425 complete with TPMS and Sport Chrome Edition Rims shipped from DE to MA. Shipping was about $90 of that total.

Did anyone got problem ordering from tirerack? Base on your suggestion I'm planning to order 18x8 Sport Edition TK1 Bright Silver Paint, 235/65R18 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Blackwall (only available 235/65R18 Blizzak), 315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor, total of cost of order is $1,380.18. I guess once I received this order it's just a direct replacement.

Since the delivery will end up in a P.O.Box is there a chance that it will get damaged? Does anyone ever experience returning items to tirerack? How's the experince in returning items to them?

How can I check if my vehicle is equipped with TPMS? Do all 2008 CX-9 GT with NAV system comes with TPMS? I'll be happy if my system is not equipped since it is just another thing to worry in case they malfunction.

I do indeed have the stock 20" rims, which I will continue to use for the spring and summer months.

18" wheels for the winter provides more options for snow tires. There are options for snow tires at the 245/50/20 size for the stock wheels, but I just can't imagine they'd be terribly effective in the snow, with that low of a profile.

Plus, it's kinda nice to simply swap out the entire wheel and tires instead of having new tires remounted twice a year on the stock rims (cheaper too).

And I didn't price out snow tires for the 20" rims, but I imagine they're more expensive than the 18" tires, so the overall cost with new rims isn't all that much more costlier.

All tires for the CX-9 have the option to include the TPMS since they're standard. You don't have to get the TPMS though, if you can handle ignoring the little indicator light that will display if you don't have TPMS. I purchased the DM-V1's as that is what they're offering for the CX-9. They had a different model listed, but it was a closeout. I would definitely go with the 18's as that option leaves open the possibility of putting chains on them, which you can't do with the 20's.

Back