Pirelli Scorpion STR A

:
2007 GT FWD, Bose/NAV
I finally got my 245/50R20 Pirellis put on and an alignment done. I wanted the STRs, but the STR As arrived even after the discount tire rep said they were STR. At this point I really had no chice as my donut had 300+ miles on it. The big diff I can see is a more agressive outer wheel tread, what ever it is called. I was worried that it would contribute to road noise, but these tires are whisper quiet compared to the OEM Duellers. With the alignment I forgot how nice it was to drive my 9. She handles like a dream. Now just to wait for a snow storm or rain. I will keep you posted.

What'd it ultimately cost you to have it done? I'm planning on getting mine done within the next week or so....

$537 - $40 mail in rebate from Discount tire = $497. Mounting and road force balance was $40 per tire = $160. So $657 would be the total, but I had an alignment done for an additional $80. Grand total was $737. All work was done at Mr. Tire. They showed me the before and after pictoral allignment results. Both of my rear wheels were way out of spec. The vehicle drives nicely now.

Did I mention how much I love driving the 9 again? One huge change I noticed is the new tires do not track on all of the road grooves like the Duellers did. There is nothing like a strearing wheel being jerked in your hand to make you test your sphincter.

It rained pretty good today here and I did all I could to make my 9 slip. Gunning it, stomping on the brakes, but still had sweet traction vs. the Duellers.

$537 - $40 mail in rebate from Discount tire = $497. Mounting and road force balance was $40 per tire = $160. So $657 would be the total, but I had an alignment done for an additional $80. Grand total was $737. All work was done at Mr. Tire. They showed me the before and after pictoral allignment results. Both of my rear wheels were way out of spec. The vehicle drives nicely now.

Thanks for that input... I'm having mine done soon... Waiting for our alignment rack to be installed...so I can have it done as well. Living in Northern Ca... I didn't quite see the push for pradas vs the scorpions... tho in many tougher areas I'm sure I'd think differently. I'm definitely looking forward to the change!

For whatever it's worth, I put the the Pirelli STR A tires on last winter. After I rear ended someone with the Bridgstone Duellers (worlds most bad tire) I've been very happy with them, good trend wear and good performance all around.

i have given up on waiting for the Yoko Spec-Xs (back order date pushed back to 12/21). got T-rated STR As for $440 total with shipping since i am not going into this winter with stinky Duellers (Spec-X was going to cost $700+ shipped!). i think tire installation and balancing will cost another $100-120 total. will report back on performance after snowfall.

Please post pictures of the Scorpions on your CX-9. I am tempted to get them based on price and the delayed availability of the Yokohama Paradas. However, I am torn by the Truck tire look of the Scorpions. The Michellin and Yokohamas look so much sportier.

Thanks!

i'll try to get around to putting pix...although i'm not sure what you mean by looking sportier...these tires are all the same size. Pirelli Scorpions handle awesome! decreased road noise and smoother than the duellers. Can't say anything about the treadwear life yet but performance wise are great! Glad i switched =)

Back