Towing

Afsigma21

:
2009 CX9 AWD
I am a new owner and just getting the hang of the front wheel drive/all wheel drive SUV thing.

I have a Ford Expedition and a Ford Ranger also.

I am curious to people's towing experience.

1 thing is that it is only rated to tow 3500 lbs. Anyone gone over that?

I was hoping to use my CX9 to move my camper from one storage place to another, probably only a mile apart, it weighs about 5000 lbs and has a weight dist hitch set up. This would be a one or two time thing, ever.

I also have a boat that weighs in at about 3300 lbs that I will probably tow regularly with the CX9.

I wouldn't think a short drive with 5000 lbs. would be a problem. Obviously it wouldn't be recommended to tow that much over a long distance. Do you have the stock towing option or is it an aftermarket set up?

Stock towing package, the one that is standard on AWD models. I know it is a larger radiator and trans cooler. I found the manual amuzing though. The "Larger radiator" is just LESS THAN 1 quart larger capacity.

Transmission cooler is the most important when it comes to towing. Larger capacity radiator is secondary. We also found (in prior threads) that AWD model has dual fan control modules, instead of one (still wonder why.).
AWD model also has revised ECU programming to reduce trailer fish-tailing. The gear shift points are also different (said to make it slower in a race - if you care).

Back