Painting Mazda emblems

I plan to have the 2 flying M's and the "MAZDA3" logo painted to match my car color. My car is in Metropolitan Gray Mica. The dealer sells touch-up paint ($7.50) for it, but I dunno how that is gonna work. Has anybody done this to their emblems? If this doesn't work, anyone know where I could get the paint for it? also, do I need to bleach out the chrome off before painting, or just paint straight away after removing them from the car?

Last edited:
Yes, you're going to have to bleach it to make it stick. You're going to want it sprayed on the emblems to make it look good, but to match the same paint I would imagine you would have to go to a body shop or somewhere similar where they could use a spray gun with you're specific gray.

It is a DIY mod, but if you want it custom colored you match your gray, you will probably have to take it somewhere to get it done. There may be some paint out there that's super close to your car though. There are a bunch of threads about doing this, so try and look at some of them and maybe that will help you decide what to do

Last edited:
I have read a couple, but they've only been for painting the emblems black.:( none on MGM paint. Wonder if anyone here is still making custom emblems? (I read Atreyu's thread but looks like he already stopped)

I was interested in painting my front emblem black. Do you guys know where I can find instructions on how to go about it?

You could do like I did and not just stop at the front emblem.

NewHood.jpg

Jchoi - do a search, it's not hard at all, take them off with fishing wire and a hair drier, sand them down, do coats of a spray paint meant for plastics, such as Krylon Fusion for Plastic in the color of your choice till you get the color you want, then do a few coats of a clear coat, then get some 3M Double Sided tape to stick it back on. Done.

Jchoi - do a search, it's not hard at all, take them off with fishing wire and a hair drier, sand them down, do coats of a spray paint meant for plastics, such as Krylon Fusion for Plastic in the color of your choice till you get the color you want, then do a few coats of a clear coat, then get some 3M Double Sided tape to stick it back on. Done.

What type of grit sandpaper did you use?

I bleached mine before I sanded them...but when I was doing the final touchups before painting, I sanded all the chrome and copper off.

I bleached mine before I sanded them...but when I was doing the final touchups before painting, I sanded all the chrome and copper off.

I'm in the process of sanding the "3" off the back and see some copper. I have probably put an hour of sanding into it. I guess I need to do more.

Back