staggered wheels setup

benben01

:
2008 MS3 GT
Ok, so I am thinking of getting some rims for the 9. I want to get some Volks but don't see the justification at $1200ish per wheel for the 9. If it's a Cayenne, Q7, and etc, yes. So this brings me to the marketplaces on various forums like the Z and Infiniti G. Can i get away with a staggered set up? Thinking of 20x8.5/9 front and 20x10/10.5 in the rear and do a 265/45 up front and 285/40 in the rear? Overall diameter should be very close. Any issues with the AWD system like excessive differential wear and etc.?

It's nearly impossible to get totally equal diameters when you do this, which could cause issues with the AWD. If you're only slightly off, you may get a warning light every time you drive it. If you're way off, driveline damage can occur.

Our CR-V would activate the AWD just by having different air pressure in the tires front to back.

Also, staggering prevents tire rotation. That's why street cars don't have it. Race cars get away with it because they throw the tires away each time.

Don't do it.

By the way, there is nothing to justify $1200 for a wheel other than the existence of people with a lot more money than brains.. That's just absurd.

now now now.. just because it's $1200 a wheel doesn't mean it's worthless. It's forged and very lightweight hence the price. I paid $750 per wheel on my Speed3. Does that make me as someone with "more money than brains?" Wait.. Don't answer :p

In any event, it's what I want and the staggering setup is different and adds a cool factor to the 9 if it does not harm the AWD system. Otherwise, I gotta save up some more lunch money and get matching widths on all 4 corners.

FYI, these are the rims I am looking at for the 9

group-5928ee56-2545-4fb2-a50e-a5490150be84-350.jpg

Staggered wheels/tires set-up where the rears are wider than fronts on a front wheel drive car don't make too much sense to me. Even the "looks" is debatable. But, to each his own I guess. That is a nice looking wheel though. I wish I had $1200 to blow on a wheel. :)

Speaking of staggered....that's the other thing that put me off the Genesis coupe. 225/45 on front...245/45 on rear. My friend with the G coupe spends a fortune on tires because she can't rotate. Staggering sucks on street cars.

It's forged and very lightweight hence the price

It's BS, hence the price.

So what if they stamp a billet and machine it vs. cast the alloy and machine it. Same amount of material, same weight. What saves weight is removing material from the wheel, which is a recipe for disaster on a two and a half ton SUV.

Like 5+9 said, I wish I could afford to throw away money because some salesman said it was a good idea.

If you want to waste money on $1200 wheels and replacing the tires every 10,000 miles, I'll give you my mailing address and you can send me some of that extra cash...

My advice is that if you think staggered wheels are the way to go, buy a car that's designed for it, where handling would actually benefit.

G37
370Z
Corvette
Camaro SS
Genesis Coupe
Porsche 911
Porsche Cayman
Porsche Boxter
Viper
Grand Prix GXP

The list goes on and is long, but doesn't include very many SUVs.

Not true Sporty. A forged wheel has it's benefits. Just ask anyone who has hit a pothole. Besides, you act like I am some chump who knows jack s*** about cars. I have owned 4 sets of these wheels on various cars including my current Speed 3. They are light and strong and should have no problems with the weight of the 9. You may be ok with your $200 Tire Rack Bling special, but I prefer my pricey JDM wheels :p

On a side note, the only reason I bought up the staggered possibilty was the cost. Instead of special ordering and paying full retail for the new rims, I can get a set of these in mint condition with tires from other forums for about $3K.

Besides, why are we out here on these forums any way? I am car guy. I like to mod and exchange ideas with others who are in the game. If you don't want to push the envelope that's fine. Take a back seat and enjoy the ride :)

On that note, I am going with custom Rays Engineering Dualies and twin HKS Hi-Power Fart Cans!

P.S. Sporty give me your address. I don't think I will be sending you cash anytime soon. But I will send you my OEM parts so you can dress up your model to look like a GT (owned)

Last edited:
Don't need a GT to be somebody. Or $1200 wheels. I like my Sport. That's why I bought it.

Do whatever you want. But, learn what you're talking about first. I said forged vs. cast are going to be the same weight. I said nothing about any other benefits like strength or resonance. Forging still doesn't justify those prices.

You may also notice that I'm not the only one who thinks your proposed modifications are a bad idea. You asked our opinion, but don't like our responses. If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question.

By the way, you can do whatever you want to your 9, but on the road, I will still own YOU.

Last edited:
My advice is that if you think staggered wheels are the way to go, buy a car that's designed for it, where handling would actually benefit.

G37
370Z
Corvette
Camaro SS
Genesis Coupe
Porsche 911
Porsche Cayman
Porsche Boxter
Viper
Grand Prix GXP

The list goes on and is long, but doesn't include very many SUVs.

My Cadillac STS has staggered wheels, and so did my wife's BMW 740i Sport.

Come'on Sporty where's your sense of humor? Hey, I can take it as much I as can dish it out. It's all good my friend. (spank)

BTW, I will installing my lowering springs this coming Monday. Stayed tune for the before and after.

Last edited:
fun is fun, and I want to see your new springs, just out of curiosity.

Just don't suggest that price paid equals superiority. I LOVE the Sport, and don't care much for the GT, FYI.

Yes sir Sporty... Not suggesting the high price equals superiority. However, once you get into the Dub territory, light weight forged wheels are gonna cost a pretty penny that's all.

(2thumbs)(flash)very nice ben. keep up the good do it yourself work.how's the rearview when you back up?

i would vote for 4 same size wheel/tires...coming from a staggered bmw setup, i'm enjoying the thought that when i hit a few more thousand miles, i can rotate the tires and extend the life of them (though i'm not sure i want to with these H/L 400s)

i would say just save up a bit more for the other two rims - what's another few hundred dollars if you're going to spend 4k on them anyway right?

as a fellow owner, i'm not feeling the 6 spoke volks as much though - i can see them on a nissan r34, gtr etc...but i just can't seem to visualize them well on your cx-9 ...maybe more spokes like the RE30s you had mentioned on another thread (which i think you said were enkei's but i swore re30s wore volks racing wheels as well)...

that being said...let me know if you plan on ditching your existing 20" setup :)

My last 3 cars including my current Speed 3 all have Volk TE-37s in various forms (Bronze, Limited Edition, and Seibon Edition). You can say I am a TE-37 man :) Any how, I got some other projects I need to tend to first before dropping some major buckage on rims. But will definitely let you know when I decide to ditch the factory 20s :)

Enkei GTC-01 (Volk RE30 look)

gtc01.jpg

Volk TE-37 in Mercury Silver
5558.jpg

Back