replacing a 2.3L head

hey all. ive got everything to replace the head on my 04 Mazda 3 2.3L DOHC but i have a question or 2. ive got a buddy of mine willing to help me replace it but another buddy of mine did some research for me and found out that ima need some special tools and the ECU will have to be hooked up to a computer for the timing to be set. is it true about the tools and if so, what do i need? also, is it true about the cars ECU needing to be hooked up to a computer (or whatever its called) to have the timing set or can a timing light be used? i honestly dont wanna have to get it hauled off to Mazda and spend the $800 they quoted me to have this done if me and a buddy of mine can get it done cheaper. thanks for any info!

-Brian

why do you need to replace your head?

there are timing tools you need. you don't need to hook up to ids (mazda's scanning program) for swaping a head.

the special tools you need are 1) cranking shaft timing pin 2) cam lock (self explanatory)

be very careful with swaping heads. the tolerences for these engines are very very tight.

Back