I need pointers on how to take off side moldings

:
Mazda 3/Axela
Please help...ive been wanting to do that but i dont want to do something wrong and perminantly damage the car hehe:]
thankz

Okay! yay a question i can answer!! Okay this WILL be a TIME consuming project. Also, this is how I took off my moldings: use a old credit card and and slide it in between the door and molding enough for you to "yank it off" THEN once all the moldings are off * the easy part* you'll need bug and tar remover i tried that and goo gone and the bug and tar works better. using the credit card up and down motion works better than side to side. Its taken me 3.5 hours on one side of my mazda3 hatchback. I still have another side to do. the credit card wont damage the paint or the door!! it looks 100x better after everything is done : )

--Erika

I would not recommend scraping against the paint with a credit card...

Some rubbing alcohol or paint thinner and a razor blade seems a tad more appropriate. And it will not take hours..maybe an hour max. I've witnessed side moldings removed and it doesn't take much.

Funny how I am commenting and I refuse to take my moldings off..

okay well considering ive spent 3 hours actually doing it.. I WOULD NEVER TAKE a RAZOR blade to my paint. BAD idea in my opinion. and its not scraping against the paint. its to take the adhesive off.

: ))

Thanks!

Taking the flat edge of the razor blade wouldn't hurt. A credit card probably wouldn't either, but it's got a thicker edge that may scratch I'd think.

And 3 hours seems sorta comical, no offense.

moldings

Oh my. Well, i really dont care how long it takes me as long as the end product is what I want. And I wish I would have taken moldings off ALONG time ago. : )

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    608.8 KB · Views: 224
Get some 3M Brand adhessive remover...you can find it at Napa...soak it a few times and it will practically fall off...very easy...also the adhessive pretty much wipes right off...

Took me about an hour to do both sides of my Protege5...

wow thanks 3.5 hours later hahahahah thanks for the tip.. im going tomorrow to get it to get the rest of the adhesive off!!! Im glad i didnt wast another 3 hours today hahaahahahahah

Yea...buy the small can it is all you need...I got the big one and it was like $35, but I use it for a lot of other stuff...

personally i would wait until its hot out! not warm, HOT! It softens the adhesive and gives a weaker grab when it is hot outside. After that you can just carefully pull them off and clean whatever residue is left then.

it';s so easy and took me maybe 30 minutes to do all 4 doors. You take dental floss and you run it one tip of a molding until you can get a grip on it, then as you pull up on the molding (gently) you keep working the dental floss, and almost no residue stays on. I did this last fall, it wasn't scorching hot out, but it also wasn't freezing out. Took me 30 minutes, maybe a couple little spots of residue left, that I took off with windex and a paper towel and it looks great!

Last edited:
Wow, you guys must work slow. I debadged my hatch (not the large emblems or mazda enblem), removed the side moldings, and washed it in 30 minutes.

The best advice has already been given. Get a hair dryer and heat up the badges or side moldings. The heat won't damage the paint. Just heat them until they are pretty warm to the touch (maybe 30 seconds on each 5 inches or so). Then use some fishing line and pull it under the side molding TOWARDS yourself. That way you won't even touch the car's paint. Do this for the first inch to 2 inches of the molding and when you can get a fingernail under the edge pull them off. 99 percent of the adhesive will come off with the molding pieces. The same thing works wonders for badges.

If you have any residue on the car use some goo gone or adhesive remover. It will make short work of the adhesive and poses no threat to the paint. You can also use the same heat treatment if you don't want to chance chemicals on the paint. Just heat the adhesive and roll it off with your fingers.

Last edited:
haha i did it already...took me like 5-10 minutes to remove the moldings..and about another 5-10 minuts to clean off any residue:)
not too bad

Latest posts

Back