Blowing air thru back seat tracks...when turned off?

I have the weirdest problem with my 2007 CX 9- when I shut off the car- there is a noticeable (almost loud) sound of a fan blowing. The sounds seems to be coming from the middle in the second row. There is definitely air being pumped up into the passenger cab from the "seat tracks" on the floor.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

I ACTUALLY HAD THE SAME ISSUE... DID IT STOP AFTER 60 SECONDS?

Mine ended up bieng so simple... my neg battery terminal was loose. not sure how that affected it but once tightened it was fine.

I had that problem.. it only did that once... didn't do anything was freeking out since it stayed on.. didn't wait 60 sec... but it did finally shut off.

Always check/tighten the battery terminals and clean the surface whenever you have a chance to open the hood. It will save you a lot of time and troubles debugging electronics issues (due to floating ground).

This is also happening to me on my 2007 AWD CX-9. I never waited 60 seconds to see if it stopped. Instead, I could get it to stop if I re-started and then stopped the engine.

fan blowing after engine off

I checked battery connection. I still cannot get the fan stop after I shut down the engine. It will still work for 30-60 seconds. Any other ideas? Thanks,

Always check/tighten the battery terminals and clean the surface whenever you have a chance to open the hood. It will save you a lot of time and troubles debugging electronics issues (due to floating ground).

Does your CX9 have the after-market electronics installed?
Things like Sat radio, iPod interface, switch box, or even the auto-dimming/homelink mirror?
Someone could have messed up the connections while doing those.
This sounds like some part of electronics is not properly grounded. Once the charges run out, it falls down to ground voltage and stops as it should.
Start with the after-maket stuff is what I am suggesting....

Hi guys, I had this problem earlier in the summer and the fan would stay on from between 10-100 seconds. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed that there was a problem with the relay and other minor ac components in that section of the vehicle i.e., the air system in the back area). The long and short of it is the dealer (Ramsey Mazada, NJ) repaired it because it was under warranty.

They ordered the part however it took approximately 3-4 weeks to come from Japan. They fixed it and I have since not had the problem.

Hi guys, I had this problem earlier in the summer and the fan would stay on from between 10-100 seconds. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed that there was a problem with the relay and other minor ac components in that section of the vehicle i.e., the air system in the back area). The long and short of it is the dealer (Ramsey Mazada, NJ) repaired it because it was under warranty.

They ordered the part however it took approximately 3-4 weeks to come from Japan. They fixed it and I have since not had the problem.

We're having the same problem. I'm taking in my Mazda next week before we hit the 36K milestone and the car goes out of warranty. Also, we started having trouble with the credit-card keys which no longer cause the driver's seat to auto-adjust when we approach the car.

Only 500 miles to go before the car rolls over to 36,000 miles, so I need to do this fast. :)

Last edited:
The cardkey problem is probably due to the drained battery. They are $2 a piece in electronic stores.

It's the fan/blower relay. The dealership I took mine to said the factory installed relays for the front and back fan/blowers didn't last long. And there were numerous complaints. They re-engineered the blower relays to stop this. There is one for the front heater and one for the rear. When you turn off the engine, the blowers kept running for about a minute or two. If you are mechanically inclined, you can buy the relays and install them yourself. The relays are in the engine compartment, right side, upper corner box. My relays inconveniently went out just after the warranty expired.

Since last week I have the same problem on my 2008 CX-9 GT. I will look into the service manual and order the two relays and change it myself as the warranty is over for me. I will keep you guys posted on my sucess/failure on this fix. Thanks guys for sharing your informaton.

Mine started up again, but I only changed one relay. I should have took the time to change both. Now I have to try and figure out how to order one!!!

This morning I opened up the hood and located the relays that responsible for activates the fan after the iginition switch is turned off. See picuture below for more detail. The relays are located in the engine compartment driver side near the battery. Shortly after that I called Bramption Mazda parts dept. for pricing. It is a stock item and costs $13.25 each. They probably sells this part like lottery tickets. :) In any case, I plan to get two just in case my rear blower relay gives in the near future. The same type of relay is also used to control both engine cooling fan and air conditioner cooling fan. I hope my finding will help you guys out in some way. Cheers.

CX-9FanBlowerRL.jpg

Last edited:
Ha-ha, our CX-9 just started doing this today. My wife called me in a panic, I told her it's a known issue and to wait 60 seconds. She did, and the fans went off. Her panic then subsided. It's nice to have this forum to look up issues!

Anyone know off-hand the new part numbers for the relays? Our is out of warranty, I'll just replace these myself.

Back