how do you change the speed limiter on the 2008 mazda3?

i got a 2008 mazda3 s touring (2.3 liter motor) last winter, and it has the factory governor. how do i change it so it can go over 120?

Last edited:
i got a 2008 mazda3 s touring (2.3 liter motor) last winter, and it has the factory governor. how do i change it so it can go over 120?

welcome to the forums and to answer your question I'm not sure its possible. Btw why would you wanna go over 120mph? (doh)

"Btw why would you wanna go over 120mph" . . . Because hes got a secret VTEC in there !

Hah I used to get my PT Cruiser GT up to 120 everyday when I was in high school in Ohio, thats when I got to drive on the interstate everyday and my dad was a trooper up there so I knew where the cops were and yes a turbo PT Cruiser can get up to 120!

lol i want to know it can do it. and i know it is possible. i have a friend who has a 2006 or 2007 mazda3 i and he has had it up to like 140 or more. he had someone he knows who works at a customs shop do something to it. my other friend with a WRX says his was like in the ECU or somethng. but of course Mazdas are different. i just like speed in my car dude. ps i hear the governor hits at about 117. thats why i asked about the 120. i rounded it off.

Last edited:
Im not too familiar with this but I would imagine its difficult. I doubt you can do it yourself. You will prob need some type of ECU override.

lol i want to know it can do it. and i know it is possible. i have a friend who has a 2006 or 2007 mazda3 i and he has had it up to like 140 or more. he had someone he knows who works at a customs shop do something to it. my other friend with a WRX says his was like in the ECU or somethng. but of course Mazdas are different. i just like speed in my car dude. ps i hear the governor hits at about 117. thats why i asked about the 120. i rounded it off.

If your friend has a 2006 Mazda3 I seriously doubt he had it up to 140mph. 2006 and up Mazda 3 cars speed limit is governed by the throttlebody closing at speeds of 110mph and 118mph. So far there is no ECU bypass and trick that will allow you to remove this. Only way around this is by switching throttle bodies.

so like my question still is not answered lol

If your friend has a 2006 Mazda3 I seriously doubt he had it up to 140mph. 2006 and up Mazda 3 cars speed limit is governed by the throttlebody closing at speeds of 110mph and 118mph. So far there is no ECU bypass and trick that will allow you to remove this. Only way around this is by switching throttle bodies.

Im not too familiar with this but I would imagine its difficult. I doubt you can do it yourself. You will prob need some type of ECU override.

Are those not answers?

Last edited:
yes they are but answers that generate more questions. or question, i suppose. how do you switch throttle bodies? i am kind of new to foreign compact cars, and learning what i can.

your pretty much switching from an electronic controlled throttlebody to a cable throttlebody.

so basicly this post is (deadhorse but oh well, the only way to ge the mazda 3 past 118 is to go down a hill, or you get a new ECU (expensive and not recommended for new vehicles IMO)
http://haltech.com/

or you get a piggyback

or this device that plugs into the space they use to inspect your car
but apparently you cant reprogram the ecu so if they come out with a piggy back thats your answer.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/categories/?id=3106

obviously, there really isnt a market for tuning mazda 3's. ive had trouble finding parts. but oh well. i have a 2009 so im not expecting any for a year or so, and its also my daily driver, i have my rx7 to play with

mmm... I had my car go 120.. but I dont like to keep it that way, as much as I enjoy speed, I fear the consequences that may happen (my uncle spent 8 yrs in comma just to die from an accident) I dont know why you want to go that fast, unless of course you are in a race track. otherwise, if you are trying to go that much faster, you need to invest mroe money, not to just make the car faster, but to make it stable (is that how you spell it?) at those speeds.

Good luck and remember that it's not just you who might feel the consequences of fast driving in highways

the cars limiter is set by the kind of tires that come with the car. Your tires probably arent rated to travel that speed for extended periods of time.

therefore its pointless to try it. Not to mention its hardwired into the ECU for a reason, so it cant be overridden.

Hey guys sorry that I have not checked this in awhile, but, well, my car has been undriveable and I got my license temporarily suspended/restricted for...you guessed it.. Speeding around too much. I neutral-slammed the gears, ran into a tree, and burned off the tires, causing $9,000 worth of damages, so I won't be doing any dumbass driving for awhile.

" i have a friend who has a 2006 or 2007 mazda3 i and he has had it up to like 140 or more. "

This is HIGHLY dubious, and even more so for a 3i (2.0L -148 HP) The MS3 Turbo tops out in the mid 150's and is DRAG limited, according to all the auto press. A nearly identical shaped car, with 115 less HP, will likely not be able to go 90% of the MS3's top speed. Did he merely tell you about the 140MPH romp, or were you in the car?

Last edited:
I asked him about it again, and I remembered wrong. I think the speed he actually had it up to was in the 125-130 range, sewhat more than what my stock s touring did anyway.

Well I have an 08 maz3 and at 118 it jerks the car the ecu does something with the back wheels cuz on the dyno I topped out around 125

Nope the ground speed limiter has no input from the rear wheels. On the abs cars it takes the input from the acu, on the non abs it comes from the ring gear in the transmission.

The only way to remove the limiter is to rewrite the bin file for the GS map. Hypertech claims thier new flasher can do it, but only 10-12 kph increase.

Piasini is the only way to remove it all the way

Back