Front struts blown

Rocket

Oil is leaking out of the left one, the right one sounds "hollow" over bumps. 2006 Sport 68,000 miles. Cost to replace both is around $600. If it was the rear I'd do it myself, but it looks like a trip to the shop is coming up.

they fronts no harder then the back. My front ones came out much easier. Really good article in the how to section.

Don't the fonts require a spring compressor? I can't find the how to link, could you point it out to me?

Yet another reason I am glad I traded my wife's 06 sport for an 08 last week (my rear shock blew last week and I figured it was time) plus it lowered my payment.

Fronts would be a pain and costly. Im sorry bro.

Front one needs spring compressor but don't require alignment after re-installation.

Why not replace with MZ3's Bilstein set?

you can generally rent spring compressors from autozone or other auto stores. It's like a $20 deposit or something. I kept mine last time just because they are handy to have around.

Struts are an EASY EASY EASY job. Often a few bolts or nuts need some wd40 or pb-blaster to break loose (I'm speaking generally, not mazda5 specific). Once removed, the spring compressor is really no big deal to use, it just takes a few mins to crank the springs down so there is no tension.

I've even had to do strut-insert replacements, where you pop the actual strut and drain the oil, then cut the top off and remove the damper, then insert and bolt on the new insert. That's a little more of a PITA than a normal strut replacement, but even someone with basic tools can do it.

Back