SRI Suggestions

rayarnold

:
2008.5 Mazda3 Touring Sedan
I originally wanted to get the mazdaspeed CAI, but my car is a daily driver and it sounds like a CAI may be more of a hassle than its worth. I want something that will increase my airflow but not limit my driving to nice weather, as well as have a filter that is easily accessible. I'm also looking to increase my midrange power.

I looked through some threads here regarding SRIs and it looks like Simota, Cobb, and Cosmo Racing are recommended here. Cosmo racing looks good, but its very low price concerns me, I don't want to get a piece of crap. Cobb looks good, but it looks like its only for the MS3 not the Mz3. I couldn't tell with Simota, I went to their site and everything was in Japanese. I also saw that Weapon-R makes two intakes for our car, but they seem as expensive as a CAI, and I'm not so sure about their "dual tube technology" or whatever they call it. Sounds like marketing hype to me.

Anyway, if anyone is running SRIs let me know which ones and what you think.

i have the simota carbon fiber shielded sri... it is a great intake i have had no problems coming up on 4 years of use and still using the original filter (cleaned regularly of course) i did a quick and dirty temp study to see if a cai offered lower intake temps at speed and the sri and the fugita (best performing cai at the time iirc) had almost the same % from ambient there is a thread here somewhere about it from a long time ago... anyways its a bit $$ but it dresses up the engine bay nicely and like i said 4 years no issues.

So far I've been pleased with my Simota, too. I haven't had mine for a while, but my previous cold air intake sucked up a bit of water from a puddle on the expressway while I was blasting out of an on-ramp in third gear at 70 or 75 MPH, and killed the MAF sensor. I'm reluctant to go back to proper cold air intake, although the Tri-Point turbo kit, which I plan to buy early next year, if finances work out as planned, uses one.

i have the simota carbon fiber shielded sri... it is a great intake i have had no problems coming up on 4 years of use and still using the original filter (cleaned regularly of course) i did a quick and dirty temp study to see if a cai offered lower intake temps at speed and the sri and the fugita (best performing cai at the time iirc) had almost the same % from ambient there is a thread here somewhere about it from a long time ago... anyways its a bit $$ but it dresses up the engine bay nicely and like i said 4 years no issues.

Which Simota is that? Is it the CF one with the dryer hose looking attachment?

mine didn't have any kind of attachment it was just a carbon fiber heat sheild a filter and a maf housing pretty simple really.

maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought buying an ebay intake and getting a good filter was the best/cost effective route. Isn't it all essentially the same thing with different stickers on the pipe?

One of the other threads I was reading, I think over in the MS3 forums said that it depends on where the MAF is placed. The eBay ones may or may not have it in a good location, which could cause a CEL, while the reputable ones such as AEM or I'm guessing Simota spend money researching the best location to place the MAF.

So it looks like the Simota with the CF shield is the most recommended. I see it sits behind the headlight, but where does it open to actually pull air in? Also, what kind of filter is it, dry or oiled?

I am still considering the Weapon-R Dragon since its much cheaper...Does anyone have any experience with this one?

The Simota heat shield has an opening in the bottom where it draws air in. The air filter supposedly can be used either dry, or with a small amount of oil, according to the guy at West Imports I spoke to (where I bought it). He said he prefers to use a small amount of oil (he stressed using only a small amount), but I will probably use mine dry--just wash it, let it dry, and put it back in.

I also looked at the Weapon-R Dragon, but too many people complained about it being a cheap piece of crap. It sounded too much like a case of getting what you pay for, and I don't put cheap crap on my car.

Last edited:
i thought it was no oil on the filter? well it works fine dry. i just wash it 1-2 times a year and haven't had an issue. usually before and after winter.

I don't know if you went and got an sri yet but I installed a Weapon-r SW intake on my 04 Mazda 3 S a couple of weeks ago and it is great. Good mid-range HP and great sound!

I didn't realize K&N makes one. I like the fact that it is interchangable between CAI and SRI. Does anyone have any experience with it? I've been pretty happy with their replacement panel filters so far.

I seem to recall that the K&N doesn't have any kind of heat shield. I like the heat shield around the Simota. I also like the fact that it doesn't require oil.

Back