Aged tires, a driving hazard?

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
Yeah, this is a repost but this is a good thing to know...

This 8 minute ABC News clip aired in May and is a good and scary clip about tires.*
When you buy a "brand new" tire it might already be several years old and that is not a good thing.
I think I may check out the date of manufacturing on my tires tonight.
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Some useful links I found:

Determining the age of a tire...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Expired tires...
http://www.nbc4.com/money/7514897/detail.html

An excerpt here...

Crenshaw
SOME CARMAKERS AGREE. FORD SAYS "TIRES DEGRADE OVER TIME EVEN WHEN THEY'RE NOT BEING USED." FORD RECOMMENDS THAT TIRES "GENERALLY BE REPLACED AFTER 6 YEARS.

AND BRIDGESTONE FIRESTONE HAS ISSUED A TECHNICAL BULLETIN RECOMMENDING "ALL TIRES INCLUDING SPARES MANUFACTURED MORE THAN 10 YEARS AGO BE REPLACED." BUT PEOPLE WHO SPEAK FOR THE TIRE INDUSTRY DISAGREE.

Dan Zielinski, Rubber Manufacturers Association
If a tire is going to fail, it can fail for a number of reasons. Whether or not age can be a factor because we can't isolate age as the sole factor in its performance.

Crenshaw
THE TIREMAKERS WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO SET TIRE TESTING STANDARDS TO DETERMINE IF AGE AFFECTS PERFORMANCE BECAUSE, THEY SAY, THERE'S NO PROOF OF THAT NOW.

If you're wondering how old your tires are, you have to decipher the code, a series of numbers on the sidewall that begin with DOT.

FOR TIRES MADE IN THE 1990s, THERE WILL BE THREE DIGITS AT THE END. FIRST TWO DIGITS TELL YOU THE WEEK OF MANUFACTURE, IN THIS CASE 46. LAST DIGIT, YEAR OF MANUFACTURE, 4, THIS MEANS 1994. SO THIS TIRE WAS MADE THE 46TH WEEK OF 1994.

FOR TIRES MADE IN THE 2000s, YOU'LL FIND FOUR DIGITS AT THE END. AGAIN, FIRST TWO DIGITS, WEEK OF MANUFACTURE, 26. LAST 2 DIGITS, YEAR OF MANUFACTURE, 02. THIS MEANS 2002. THIS TIRE WAS MADE THE 26TH WEEK OF 2002.

hey thanks coolmazda5 i had no idea that tires do that and makes you think twicr about buying tires

Another "common sense" article.

Must have been another slow-reporting day. (strike)

I have 8 year old tires on one of my cars. I am replacing them soon because they are worn out, but I managed to not die whilst driving on them, despite their age, their cracks from sitting in the sun, etc.

I wish I had to worry about 'old tires' but since I put on about 35,000km/year, I just wear them out. I put 25,000km on the original Toyo's since I bought the 5 in March. I just took them off today and put on the winters. I'll be lucky to get two summers out of the Toyo's it looks like. I don't know what old tires are!

I used to own a 1968 Ford galaxie XL...had 25000 miles on it...all original including the tires. we used to drive it with those tires on, we thought the front end was falling off the car, NOPE, it was the great tires. we took them off and they just folded into a pile of nothing...ha ha. put new ones on and it worked like a new car....

Back