How to hard wire radar dectector

340CID

It's a Valentine 1 I'm installing with their hard wire kit but I imagine it would be the same for any other detector. The job took less then 30 minutes as member trdsw gave me a huge head start on what color wire to look for. It was a lot easier installing this on my MS3 then on my Prelude.

This install does not require running any wires down the a-pillar!

1) Remove the map light assembly which is held in with metal clips. No plastic clips to worry about breaking.
2) Disconnect the plug/connector from the map light assembly
3) You will notice another wiring loom heading to back to the dome light with a connector just out of reach. Turns out the wiring loom does not head to the dome light but to the keyless entry module just aft of the map light access hole. I couldn't remove the connector w/o removing the bracket and keyless entry module so I unscrewed the one screw that holds the bracket to the roof (which I later used as my ground connection).
4) After cutting back the wiring loom for access to each of the wires, I double checked that the pink wire with the yellow stripe was not hot 24/7. Turns out it is only hot when the key is in the ON position which is perfect.
which is hot.jpg

5) I used the V1 provided wire T connection/clip to tap into the pink/yellow wire.
Hot wire.jpg

6) Re-connected the keyless entry module and ensured the bracket was installed correctly on the underside of the roof (under another wiring loom).
what is that thing.jpg

ready to hide the wires.jpg

7) Plugged in the V1 telephone wire provided to the V1 provided power adaptor.
8) Tucked the V1 power adaptor along with the fuse, hot and ground wire back towards the dome light.
9) Routed the telephone wire (detector wire) beside where the map light assembly would fit and pushed the end of the sugar cube between the headliner and windshield.
almost done.jpg

10) Re-connected the map light connector to the map light assembly.
11) Pushed the map light assembly back into the ceiling
12) Plugged in the detector to ensure it worked (it did) and also checked that other things I touched worked (keyless entry and map lights)
13) Tucked the sugar cube between the headliner and the sun visor so it's hidden when not in use.
done.jpg

Another honda -> mazda huh? I came from an Integra

Nice write up. I used a tapped fuse and ran the wire up the pillar and across the headliner. I'll probably redo it your way!!

Ha i just got my hardwire kit and was looking for a DIY.

I couldnt get the keyless module out for the life of me so i left it intact. Instead i carefully cut the black covering that protects the wires that are going to the keyless module.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again!! (usa)

So how exactly does that T connection work? Do you have to cut the rubber protector off the pink wire, then snap on the T connector? Is the Pink wire the power source?

So how exactly does that T connection work? Do you have to cut the rubber protector off the pink wire, then snap on the T connector? Is the Pink wire the power source?

A brand new Valentine One comes with a T connector so that you can hardwire your radar detector and it just snaps into place without having to cut wires or anything. The T connector splices the wire itself and the connection is made once you snap it into place.

The phone wire on my V1 has a red, green and yellow wire ?

A brand new Valentine One comes with a T connector so that you can hardwire your radar detector and it just snaps into place without having to cut wires or anything. The T connector splices the wire itself and the connection is made once you snap it into place.

You should use a red t-tap if you have to buy one. The wire is a little too thin for the blue ones to splice through, or mine was anyways.

just finished this for my Passport. it only took me about 15 minutes total, it was cake. I bought one of the $8 hardwire kits off of ebay, worked perfectly. thx for the writeup

340CID, (or anyone else, actually) where do you actually mount your detector? I was considering mounting it just to the right of the sun screen on the right side of the rearview mirror. I also have a V1. Is there enough room to mount it there and also allow for decent function of the passenger sun visor?

Anyone know how to do a hardwire installation into an 09 mazda 6? Can it be hardwired into the auto-dimming mirror?

340CID, (or anyone else, actually) where do you actually mount your detector? I was considering mounting it just to the right of the sun screen on the right side of the rearview mirror. I also have a V1. Is there enough room to mount it there and also allow for decent function of the passenger sun visor?

I only use my V1 when heading out on the highway (every couple of months or so) so I mount it on the sun visor using the clip it comes with. I have a wine bottle cork that I slip between the detector and the visor to keep the rear sensor pointed out the rear window. For city driving, I just have the cord tucked up between the sunvisor and the headliner.

was thinking about getting a 4 inch tint strip on the top of my windshield, will this affect a Valentine ones performance if it isint the heat blocking tint?

was thinking about getting a 4 inch tint strip on the top of my windshield, will this affect a Valentine ones performance if it isint the heat blocking tint?

http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp

http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt2.asp

http://valentine1.com/lab/Previously6.asp

it will affect the valentine. it reduces the radar beam due the the tint.

Radar and laser are 2 completely different things. The only thing that will affect radar detecton is metallic tint not regular tint. I have limo tint at the top of my windshield and my V1 still gets laser alerts from every Infiniti that has laser guided cruise control.

Last edited:
Back