Spark Plug Recommendation??

king57721

Anyone have any recommendation on Spark Plugs?

I tried Bosch +2 and it suck big time... rough idea... loss power...

now I am looking for something else, please help!!

NGK V-power are my favorite plugs. They have been for years now. They have low resistance and I have always had fantastic performance with them. NGK and denso are the only plugs I have pulled from an asian make car. If you don't mind changing or re-gapping them a bit more often the V-powers are ideal. For a longer service life the iridiums will last forever with out needing re-gapping. They are also widely available ie. advance autoparts and pepboys both carry them in stock as well as other retailers.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/vpower.asp?mode=nml

Last edited:
The OEM Densos are about the best you'll find. The extremely small firing tip of the iridium plug increases firing energy and the iridium is a nice, durable material that conducts extremely well. If you don't want or can't source the oem plug, try another ultra-fine-wire iridium tip from Denso or NGK.

I replaced my plugs today from the stock ones to the NGK V-power. Had to re-gap but that's not a big deal at all. They were much cheaper than the stock ones, and so far performance seems good. Only thing was that i may have over-torqued/crossthreaded the plugs, or it may be just in my head. Time will tell on that one.

Do spark plug wires affect performance? I've heard elsewhere that they can. I don't know. Auto mechanics is a mystery to me!

your stock wires are fine... i have nology wires and wish i spent my money elsewhere... stay away from bosch.. NGK's FTMFW... i say spark plug wires come into the equation when you start pushing some massive horsepower

most MSP owners here are running stock wires with upgraded turbo's and whatnots and are doing fine

Do spark plug wires affect performance? I've heard elsewhere that they can. I don't know. Auto mechanics is a mystery to me!

An 08 mazda5 does not have plug wires. I don't think any of them do but I can always be wrong. 99% of cars these days are coil on plug so no plug wires. Some do use partial coil on plug so for a 4 cylinder it would have 2 coils and 2 wires, each coil will fire 2 cylinders seperately. The plug the coil is on and the wire will route to the other plug the coil will fire. But in the current car age 99.9% are coil on plug that I have seen.

Plugs wires can effect performance. High resistance in a wire will cause a miss and the engine will have a noticeable shake, basicly running like crap. High heat and vibration can damage plug wires raising the resistance and causing a miss. When the wire has high resistance the spark energy will find a less resistant path to ground, at times it will be audible and in the dark visible.

Auto shop 101 dis-missed.(drive)

These are the best NGK plugs for the money...2.3L can go 100k before changing.

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap
OE Laser Iridium ILTR5A-13G # 3811 .052

Last edited:
the factory plugs are good for 75k and they are platinum plugs, if you are replacing always go with ngk iridium, never the splitfire or bosh +2 or +4 or whatever they have been know to have valve/piston clearance issues, (ie bent valves)

These are the best NGK plugs for the money...2.3L can go 100k before changing.

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap
OE Laser Iridium ILTR5A-13G # 3811 .052

(bang)
OLD ROTOR!

I ordered these plugs and they are not the correct ones.

Luckily I was paying attention, and was comparing the old plug next to the new plug, because these iltr5a-13g are way too long in the threaded portion of the plug.

The plugs that came out of the engine, and the ones that are reccommended in my factory service manual were the ITR5F-13.

I looked up the specs, and the ITR5f-13 are 8mm shorter.

Last edited:
I'm sorry.....I'm trying to find where I got that miss-info. NGK stock plugs are great and should be changed every 75K not 100K.

Back