Black panel under radio.

yqx_five

:
2008 Mazda 5 GT
Anyone know how easy it is to remove the little black panel under the radio. I believe it covers up where the tape deck is suposed to go. Do I have to remove the dash around it or does it just pop out? I want to place my Sirius car mount in there. I seem to recall seeing pictures of someone doing that and it looked great. Thanks for any help.

Sorry to rain on your parade but the dash has to come apart to get that panel off. You remove the radio from the fascia and the panel is held in by two little screws. On the bright side you can hardwire your Sirius tuner while you have the dash apart which will give you better sound from your radio. HTH Ross

Some pictures would be great. I saw your post in the how to section on removing the stereo. However, I tried it last night and mine seems to be different. I have an automatic 2008 GT with Leather and heated seats. I have a console in between the seats that joins up with the shifter console. Anybody out there removed the radio stack with this kind of set up? Is it the same process or more complicated? When I tried it I could not get the silver shifter cover to come off as it seems to be attached to the piece that joins with the center console.

Any help would be great!

Sorry to rain on your parade but the dash has to come apart to get that panel off.

Actually it's not that hard. don't touch the dash ( if you do, you're doing it wrong) Just remove the shifter knob after putting it in reverse and then the trim ring. there are 2 screws at the bottom of the center stack that have to come out. then pull. the whole center stack fascia will come out along with the radio. unplug the wire harness and antenna and you can work on the radio fascia.

So am I reading correct, there is a plug already there to hardwire my sirius tuner? Damn, IM in! the ******* canadian government limit the output voltage of the sirius radios to 5v instead of 12. so any little thing I loose my signal. So, anyone have more information on hardwiring in the sirius. and also putitng it in where my buddy from Gander wants to put his!

Okay, I went out and tried it again. Forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about, but it seems a bit more complex then just popping off the silver shifter cover. I took some pictures of my five here they are.

10qzae8.jpg

307mg0h.jpg

juetep.jpg

As you can see the silver shifter cover is attached to the black piece at the bottom of it which then runs down and joins up with the center console between the front seats. I am able to get the silver cover to come up but I can't get it to detach from the black piece (although I'm sure it does). Anyone know what to do to get it off?

Here are some pics of the outside.

2l8z3hw.jpg

10qhw6s.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Kojack, I think they are talking about using a FM modulator to attach the Sirius to the radio. Much better sound that way. As for me, I have the AUX input that is standard on 08 GT's so it is not a problem for me. I just want to use the space to mount my sirius dock and then run the wires inside. Although it would be nice to wire in the power some how. Anyone done this with the 5v Sirius.

Taking out the radio in an 08 does require more than the shifter plate and the screws. The dash does have to come back a bit. I think there is a walk thru in the how to section, if not I will try to post some basic instructions tomorrow.

Oh, ok. Looks like the factory sirius unit is going in the 5. I hate the chitty 5v sirius garbage we get in canada. luckily I have an american subscription...

just fire up the unit from sirius and "AWAY WE GO"!

Back