Easy, clean vent 52mm gauge install.

Mid_Life_Crisis

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
I got into this and completely forgot to take pictures, but it is so easy that you won't need any.

I think this only works for 52mm gauges.
The gauge must have mounting screws or posts on the back.
I used a 52mm ProSport electronic boost gauge.

1) Firmly pull the vent piece with the vanes out of the dash. Leave the other piece there.
2) Carefully remove the vanes from the vent piece. If you examine it, you will notice that the pins are shorter on one side than the other. You don't want to snap the pins in case you ever want to return to stock.
3) When the vanes came out, a small trim piece should have come loose that was held in place by the vanes (the short pins went into it). Use a small dot of glue to put this back in place and make it stay.
4) Inside the vent piece is a honeycomb of plastic. It is flimsy, cut it out and carefully file the inside of the vent smooth.
5) Remove the nuts from the posts on the back of the gauge and replace them with the standoffs that came in the mounting kit (assuming you have the Prosport - I do not know if other kits come with the standoffs).
6) Cut a piece of plexiglass (or similar) into a bar shape with rounded ends that will fit inside the vent housing and is just snug enough that it will stay centered. This will be your mounting bracket. Drill two holes in it for the standoffs to pass through. Locate these carefully as they will establish the position of the gauge.
7) Attach the gauge to the bracket you just made. It may require some creativity with washers to get it snug. Make sure the bar does not block the access port for the connectors.
8) Slide the gauge/bracket assembly into the vent from in front.
9) Cut three very short pieces of rubber tubing off the length that was sent with the install kit (maybe half inch long at most).
10) Use the rubber pieces as temporary shims wedged between the gauge and the vent looking at the assembly from the front at 12:00, 4:00, and 8:00. Make sure the position is pleasing to the eye. This is when you adjust how far into the vent you want the gauge to sit and make sure it is centered. I rotated the vent so that the small piece that was glued on is at 6:00 to make it all look even.
11) Turn the assembly over and carefully apply some glue to the seam between your bracket and the vent.
12) After the glue dries, remove the tube shims and disassemble it so you can put more glue on from the front.
13) After this application dries, reassemble everything.

If you did it correctly, you should have a gauge that is centered in the factory vent housing with an air gap around it and the vent can be returned to stock if you ever need to.
I am not going to get into running the wiring, that has been well discussed elsewhere.
14) Connect the wires and firmly push the vent assembly back into the dash.

I did it this way and decided I didn't like the gauge so far off to the side and moved it to the steering wheel column.

Back