please check me before I screw up my rims

tillyspeed81

Contributor
:
Mazda5
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing some rims for my 5....Gonna go with a 19x8 (40mm offset) 5x114.3 with 235-35-19 tires. Am I missing anything? the guy at the tire shop said it would work, but I'm cautious because last time I bought rims from some random wheel shop, the tires rubbed like crazy and basically "polished" my wheel well and suspension. I plan on lowering the 5 with coilovers or possibly mazdaspeed3 suspension, I'm not slamming it to the ground, just getting rid of a little wheel gap. Would this set up work? I might roll the fenders if it is possible.

Last edited:
well, that overall diameter is .4" taller than stock. That's not an insane difference. On stock suspension, I don't see any problems with the height of the tire.

But the width sounds a bit iffy. 235 on an 8" rim is MUCH wider than stock, and with a 40mm offset you are definitely sticking out further. Sounds like it would be a potential setup for hitting the fender lip, especially if you lower it.

225/35/19 is closer to your stock diameter, and that 10mm width difference could help....you might have better luck in that size. Still potentially a bit wide on an 8" rim though....

I think someone on here has 215/40/18 on an 8" rim, and still rubs. (he is lowered)

Last edited:
tilly... I don't think it's going to work without pulling of the fenders. take a look at the wheel/rim thread http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123655878&page=3 rmbmazda had 18x8 with 45 back spacing and the front sticks out just a bit. The 40 offset will bring the rim out way past the fender. If the sales guy is confident that it will fit.. have him test fit it before you purchase.

BTW - are these the MRR HR2's?

tilly... I don't think it's going to work without pulling of the fenders. take a look at the wheel/rim thread http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123655878&page=3 rmbmazda had 18x8 with 45 back spacing and the front sticks out just a bit. The 40 offset will bring the rim out way past the fender. If the sales guy is confident that it will fit.. have him test fit it before you purchase.

BTW - are these the MRR HR2's?

hmm...maybe I should go with something smaller....what's the max width our 5 can take w/o sticking out over the fender? Are there companies that make a wheel that is 19x7.5? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to wheels or spelling....

it's not just the width, but the offset that's making it potentally a bad combo.

I think the stock offset is like 50mm?? You can search to confirm this. The lower the offset, the further the wheel sticks out. Say you got a 0mm offset wheel...the rims would pop out of the wheel wells like crazy. You've probably seen some vehicles with that style (around here, it's a typically mexi-style). Although the euro-look takes on a similar approach, just not quite as drastic.

You generally want to keep the offset pretty close to stock. Often, you go a bit lower to have your wheels look more flush with the fenders (rather than tucked away inside like many stock vehicles). 40mm isn't necessarily too far off stock, but when you take into account that the rim you are picking is a few inches WIDER than stock, now you're really pushing it.

I found a set of rims that were 19x7.5 with a 38 offset, would that be best? still thinking about the look tho....

Attachments

• espace rims.jpg
    espace rims.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 110
tilly... the rim will go out way past the fender.... you should be looking for an offset in the 48 to 50 range in order to fit properly.... 35 will make you look like the old school low riders with the 15" wires......

I've gone through 3 sets of tires with the help of 2 impact bubbles on 50 series tires. I'm seriously thinking of going with 55s this time because I'm tired of buying tires with no sidewall.

Good luck with yours though...

I've gone through 3 sets of tires with the help of 2 impact bubbles on 50 series tires. I'm seriously thinking of going with 55s this time because I'm tired of buying tires with no sidewall.

That's the major reason why I decided to get an 07GS with 16" rims instead of the GT. I'd rather have a more comfortable ride and forgo the added features and the better looking 17" rims on the GT. I also wanted cheaper tires when it's time to change it.

That's the major reason why I decided to get an 07GS with 16" rims instead of the GT. I'd rather have a more comfortable ride and forgo the added features and the better looking 17" rims on the GT. I also wanted cheaper tires when it's time to change it.

I went with 50 series instead of the 45 series that came on it in hopes of avoiding this, but it happened again.

I'm looking at 215/55/17s now.

wow, do you not know how to drive or something? In the last 7 years, almost every car I have driven has had low-profile tires. I've had 225/50/16, 205/45/16, 245/40/17, 205/50/17, 225/45/17, 235/40/18; all on different cars...

Never once had a problem and I've driven and lived in several different US states. I keep an eye on what I'm driving over and avoid severe potholes, humans in the road, etc....

wow, do you not know how to drive or something? In the last 7 years, almost every car I have driven has had low-profile tires. I've had 225/50/16, 205/45/16, 245/40/17, 205/50/17, 225/45/17, 235/40/18; all on different cars...

Never once had a problem and I've driven and lived in several different US states. I keep an eye on what I'm driving over and avoid severe potholes, humans in the road, etc....

No, actually I drive the 5 like I'm Mad Max....

I live in the DFW area, and there's all kinds of road hazards. If it's not the semi retread, it's a pot hole, or someone's lost some kind of crap off their unsecured load. I've seen wheelbarrows fly off a trailer and almost cause a multi-car pile-up.

My last car was a 2003 Mustang GT with 265/40/17s and I never once had an issue.

I don't know what it is with this car, but my guess its when the wife takes it out. There's no telling what the hell she runs over when she's not paying attention.

No, actually I drive the 5 like I'm Mad Max....

I live in the DFW area, and there's all kinds of road hazards. If it's not the semi retread, it's a pot hole, or someone's lost some kind of crap off their unsecured load. I've seen wheelbarrows fly off a trailer and almost cause a multi-car pile-up.

My last car was a 2003 Mustang GT with 265/40/17s and I never once had an issue.

I don't know what it is with this car, but my guess its when the wife takes it out. There's no telling what the hell she runs over when she's not paying attention.

Cali has TERRIBLE roads. My observations from driving in DFW was that you have much better roads than we do.

Cali has TERRIBLE roads. My observations from driving in DFW was that you have much better roads than we do.

All depends on what roads you are on, some are better than others. There are some nice tollways in DFW.

Back