DVD Headrest

radiohead

LCD Headrest

Has anyone replaced the factory headrest with a LCD headrest? How did you fish the wires through the seat? I'm looking at installing 2 LCD headrests with an ipod as a video source.

Thank you

Last edited:
I installed two DVD heardrests. It is VERY easy.

The seat back unzips and allows copious amounts of room to work in. It was just too freakin' easy to do.

I removed all the plastic from around the gear shifter so that I could wire the power directly to the power point's wires. I fished them under the carpet to underneath the console. The cup holders will pull out so that you can work under there without removing the console.

So darn easy a caveman could do it. :D

Which ones did you use? Did you do the headrests that already had the dvd players in them, or did you install them into the factory headrests?

I want to do this, but I would like to get the complete headrests because teh factory ones are so small. I also want to make sure the fabric matches well and I would like the players to have dvd players built in. I;ve looked around a bit for something that meets my needs, but it seems like most of them are covered in leather, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Do you have pics of your setup?

I installed two DVD heardrests. It is VERY easy.

The seat back unzips and allows copious amounts of room to work in. It was just too freakin' easy to do.

Thank you for the information. It sounds easy to install. Which model of LCD did you get, and from where?

My headrests should arrive in the next day or so. Kids can't wait. I can't either. I'll post a writeup when I get them.

No... still waiting. :( I guess there was a "problem" with the 1st shipment. Should be here by mid-week next week.

Headrests arrived yesterday. They look really nice. Installation looks to be pretty straight forward. I think I'll run a line to the fuse box for power so it can have it's own dedicated circuit rather than tapping into something else.

My son is having a birthday party this weekend and my mom is in town and I have to finish my taxes, so I probably won't get to the install until next week or possibly later, but I will document it and post the write up.

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I got mine off eBay and cannot remember the brand name. I can search up the auction and post a link though.

They are individual DVD players mounted in their own, leather wrapped headrest. Not a perfect match since my 5 is cloth with neoprene covers but who the hell is judging? :)

Kids can watch individual DVD in each or link them together and both watch the same thing.

$330 shipped. Killer deal.

I can post pics when my wife gets home with it. Perfect timing as we actually cleaned it yesterday! :D

That sounds just like what I got - black leather and all. I'm off on a man-cation this weekend, so I will install next week.

Sorry for not responding earlier.
I got mine off eBay and cannot remember the brand name. I can search up the auction and post a link though.

I have seen these on ebay, how is the quality? On one hand, having it break in 2 years is not a big deal, in that you surely would get your money out of it... but just curious...

DVD Headrests

Here are some pictures of mine in our Mazda 5. Here is my web site I got mine from for $350.00 shipped. I hope its ok to post web sites, www.hsystems.ca

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 2,696
  • IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,854
  • IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,481
  • IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,537
The install looks great!

I assume you ran the wires inside the seats since you can't see them. Did you use a gromet and cut a hole through the top?

Also, I see they list DIVX but have you tried to play any XVID off of a disk or usb stick?

Thanks for sharing!

Very easy to install, it has a special one peice cable that goes down one of the two poles down into the same hole as the pole then into the back of the seat where you get the wire from below. This wire supplies the power, audio and video together. There is a plug that ataches to the first cord that splits everything up to their proper leads ie power, audio and video. I have only have tried AVI on it so far. I use a SD card where I have 5 movies on a 4GB card, great no switching dvd's anymore. I tried the USB too and it works great. I'm very happy with these units.

You can power it up to your 12v power line or do what I did cut the wires on a 12V cigirate lighter plug and hook it up that way by plugging it into the cigrette outlet. Very easy.

Headrests arrived yesterday. They look really nice. Installation looks to be pretty straight forward. I think I'll run a line to the fuse box for power so it can have it's own dedicated circuit rather than tapping into something else.

My son is having a birthday party this weekend and my mom is in town and I have to finish my taxes, so I probably won't get to the install until next week or possibly later, but I will document it and post the write up.

Got your headrest install? Still waiting for my MZ5.

I installed my headrests today. This was much easier than I expected! For reference, my past car install expierence consists of adding lighting under the dash and adding an amp to an existing radio system, so I am NOT an expert at this type of thing!
The entire project including clean up took about 1.5 hours.

To connect to power I used an Add-A-Circuit https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) This is a link to them on Amazon. I found mine at Autozone for $5.99. I grounded the units to the bolt inside the fuse box area on the passenger side of the car. The cable was ran under the carpet against the firewall and into the area under the cupholder. The cupholder just pops out if you wiggle it. There is room under the cupholder for all the electrical/video connections. The cables to the headrests I ran through holes already in the carpet under the cupholder to some holes I found in the carpet undet the seats. The cables then just ran up into the seat and connected to the DVD player.

I will try to add some pics.

Attachments

• Power.gif
    Power.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,099
  • Under seat.gif
    Under seat.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 993
  • Finished.gif
    Finished.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 944
  • Grounding.gif
    Grounding.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 796
  • routing.gif
    routing.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 926
Where is the closest/easiest point to tap into power for these?

I used an "add-a-circuit" at the fuse panel next to the passenger door hinge. There's also a conveninet bolt to attach your ground wire. The door sill cover just pops off so you can easily (and safely) hide your wires.

Edit: Woops didn't see this had already been posted. D'Oh!

i apologize for bumping up an old topic, but i was curious if anyone had added dvd headrests to the second row seats, for the children in the 3rd row to watch? thank you.

Back