Mazda5 Diesel?

chief_wiggum

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3-2010 Mazda5 GT
Anyone heard anything about the possibility of getting a turbo diesel version of the Mazda5 in the US? I did a quick search and came up empty handed...seems the 5 would be ideally suited for a turbo 4 diesel. I know that several car companies are looking at the possiblity of increasing their production of US spec diesels, but didn't know if Mazda was doing anything to meet the stringent US standards.

I was able to find some details on the Europe spec 2008 diesels -- I hope Mazda doesn't make us wait too long to get one over here. I'm all for loads of torque and mid 40 mpg.

I'm holding my breath and will continue to do so until they import one or I die whichever comes first! LOL Oh wells. I would love, love love, to get my hands on a 5 with a diesel, it would be the perfect car for my commute. Not that my current 5 isn't of course.

Other thing to consider: Diesel (for cars, not just trucks) in Europe is available in every gas station. I think supply needs to be more adequate in this part of the Globe in order to market the car effectively (oh, did I mention that the Mazda5 does not get any marketing here? :D)

and add 6MT, (bowdown).

So to get you more jealous ;): 200Km/hr (~125MPH) @ 3500RPM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_JdmZYTtuUA

Other thing to consider: Diesel (for cars, not just trucks) in Europe is available in every gas station. I think supply needs to be more adequate in this part of the Globe in order to market the car effectively (oh, did I mention that the Mazda5 does not get any marketing here? :D)

and add 6MT, (bowdown).

You forgot 7seater.

Haven't head the news on how Ford/Mazda can meet diesel NOx emission in US.

True. Oh, and before I miss it, obviously the red line starts at 5000RPM..

Diesel technology in automobiles will never catch on in the US, especially with everyone caught up in hybrids and E85 cars that cost more, are less reliable, more expensive to maintain and get worse gas mileage. Plus, everyone here still believes that Diesels are far worse for the enviroment.. hence the previous use of vehicle technology. In the Next 10 years or so I believe that it's already in law that all states must require at least 20% ethanol by volume at all gas stations. Could be wrong about the year..

I would've bought a VW TDI... if VW's weren't so damn unreliable these days.

And I'm not so sure about the 20% ethanol... you may be completely correct, but I'd find that surprising and most manufacturers would be pissed about going over their 10% max specs in already existing vehicles. Oh well, guess all you can do is just bend over and take it as it comes

Diesel fuel and cars aren't any more dangerous for the environment IN EUROPE. In North America they use a high sulfur content diesel that spews large particle emissions and have been linked to heart disease.

The current trend in the US for Ethanol is a red herring by the Corn Lobby. The only thing stupider than burning oil for fuel is growing food for fuel.

Currently diesel is more expensive than regular gas in Kelowna BC. Why that should be is beyond my comprehension level. Diesel is far easier to refine than gasoline.

Grab your ankles, boyos. The raping and pillaging by the gas companies is just starting.

LOL Jandree22...

Diesel technology in automobiles will never catch on in the US, especially with everyone caught up in hybrids and E85 cars that cost more, are less reliable, more expensive to maintain and get worse gas mileage. Plus, everyone here still believes that Diesels are far worse for the enviroment.. hence the previous use of vehicle technology. In the Next 10 years or so I believe that it's already in law that all states must require at least 20% ethanol by volume at all gas stations. Could be wrong about the year..

So let me see if I got it right (scratch)...
a) Since the US market is so large that some technology adoption cycles are much slower if not impossible
b) Diesel pollution perception lasts very long :D
c) Ethanol and hybrids are the "preferred" government initiatives. Ethanol, supports agriculture. Hybrids, it is a catchy trend only.

The current trend in the US for Ethanol is a red herring by the Corn Lobby. The only thing stupider than burning oil for fuel is growing food for fuel
(mswerd) This will only cause (and probably already is) the cost of corn-based food products as well as corn-fed meat to skyrocket in price in the years to come. We have no where NEAR the amount corn required for this E85 crap.

Diesel fuel and cars aren't any more dangerous for the environment IN EUROPE. In North America they use a high sulfur content diesel that spews large particle emissions and have been linked to heart disease.

The current trend in the US for Ethanol is a red herring by the Corn Lobby. The only thing stupider than burning oil for fuel is growing food for fuel.

Currently diesel is more expensive than regular gas in Kelowna BC. Why that should be is beyond my comprehension level. Diesel is far easier to refine than gasoline.

Grab your ankles, boyos. The raping and pillaging by the gas companies is just starting.
that's because we already have low sulfur diesel in the past year or so in the US and now in Canada... the refinement process is more expensive but with the fuel economy diesel engines typically give, the additional costs are offset

(mswerd) This will only cause (and probably already is) the cost of corn-based food products as well as corn-fed meat to skyrocket in price in the years to come. We have no where NEAR the amount corn required for this E85 crap.
it's already that way and it's hard to find good fresh, big, SWEET corn anymore

Hydrogen, jury’s still out there IMO. I’ll be surprised if it reaches widespread infrastructure support within the next decade or two... a lot of ‘x-factors’ and bugs that still need addressed with that before it gets a green light. Hybrids are a strong step in the right direction, but ultimately, a band-aid fix. E85, as mentioned before is a joke. Diesel is a good answer in some regards, but admittedly certainly not a forward thinking solution.

hydrogens are pretty new and everything takes time. I believe eventually that hydrogen/hybrid combos are going to prevail and it will def be within 20 years...thats my MAX year estimate.

Remember this also. While alternatives such as hydrogen are "researched", we continue to buy gasoline. We get lip service that the next big fuel is on the way, but development and infrastructure are always the hurdle.

So we continue to buy cheap gas.

Electric cars aren't what the public wants, according to the big manufacturers.

Americans don't want diesels (so they say), yet they have few to choose from. And no automaker wants to stick their neck out in the high efficiency diesel arena when gas is still so cheap.

As long as this continues to be prolonged, a lot of people will continue to get rich from our purchasing of gasoline.

Oh yeah, I'm real cynical also.

Back