How to Install Injen CAI on 2005 M3 w/pix

ZooMIN3

:
Whip:01 Ford Focus;08 Black Mica MS3GT
I posted this on another forum, a couple years ago, and I just thought I'd add it here for the regular 3s. lol :)

First of all, you will need to get your appropriate tools.

Need:
Jack/Jack stand
Assorted Socket Set
Flat Head Screw Driver
Philips Head Screw Driver
22mm Deep Socket (to take off driver side front tire)

So a month later i finally get my Injen CAI...bout time too! ;-)
the parts
DSCF1899.jpg

DSCF1900.jpg

DSCF1901.jpg

First of all, I found that it is WAYYY EASIER to take off the driver side
front wheel to access the lower portion of the stock intake. if there is
a better way, i didn't take time to think about it. please feel free to let
me know! 8) However, make sure the car is properly secure on a jack stand,
i only needed to use one. so here you go! THINK SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!
DSCF1909.jpg

you're gonna undo 3 or 4 screws that hold the
most left portion of the splash guard from under the driver side of the bumper,
it'll fold back once you get the other fastners undone from the wheel well.
DSCF1956.jpg

DSCF1957.jpg

you'll nee to use the 22mm deep socket to take of the driver side wheel
DSCF1955.jpg

then take off the 3 screws that secure the splash guard on the outer side of the wheel well.
DSCF1911.jpg

DSCF1910.jpg

then take off these two additional fastners to fold the spalsh guard back.
DSCF1912.jpg

then on top-side of the car, take off the engine cover and the top portion of the intake. it should look like this.
DSCF1903.jpg

before continuing on, go ahead and disconnect the negative battery cable. so once you're done, the ECU will have been resetted,
I'd suggest waiting a good 10 minutes before plugging it back up. Then you should be good to go!

Then you'll disconnect these items, breather hose, MAF sensor, etc.
DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1905.jpg

once you get that done, undo the clamps holding the intake to the throttle body.
you may need your flat head screwdriver to help pry tubing off. it is pretty hard as
mazda used an adhesive type seal to hold the tubing to the thottle body to keep it
from leaking/and coming off easily! IMO at least! ;-) set the assembly aside, not too
far, as you will be needing the MAF, and other sensors still on the intake.
DSCF1906.jpg

this is what it should look like now....
DSCF1907.jpg

next your gonna be PULLING on the bottom portion of the intake box. just give it
a good tug on the rear portion of the box and it'll come out just like the engine cover
did. here's where you should be now....
DSCF1908.jpg

here comes the "FUN" part... it was a PITA to remove the third of 3 screws holding the
lower stock intake assembly...but here goes. My suggestion is to have ratcheting
wrenches. get them from sears, i knew i should've invested in them, would've made short work of these three bolts.....

undo this bolt
DSCF1913.jpg

the same one except i'm pointing at it, and the pic came out blury. sorry bout that.
DSCF1914.jpg

this next bolt was a pain, took me almost 10 minutes to finally get it off! :shock:
DSCF1922.jpg

This last and final one was the worst one of the 3!!! This is where the ratcheting wrench would've been the most useful....
DSCF1918.jpg

DSCF1919.jpg

Once you get those 3 bolts taken out, you're gonna kinda have to wrestle the lower portion out of the wheel
well. Don't worry, use some finnesse and it'll come out! :wink:

Here's the "TUBA" my buddy Justin who walked up to me as I took it out called it! :lol:
DSCF1923.jpg

just to reference it to how big it is in front of my focus. :shock:
DSCF1924.jpg

a quick comparison of the OEM and Injen systems side by side...like whoa!
DSCF1926.jpg

Now remember that upper portion of the intake where the MAF is at? Get that mugga
and take off the white plug that is still in it.... you WILL NEED TO USE SOME UMPH here to get it out...
use a small flat head screw driver for this, makes it easier!
DSCF1927.jpg

go ahead and stick that white piece with that blue clip back onto the breather
hose it came off of. and while you're there put one of the sleeves that came with the system onto the throttle body.
DSCF1928.jpg

now take off both of the sensors that are still on the stock intake, and put them onto your upper portion of the new CAI system like this.
DSCF1933.jpg

next go ahead and install the hose that came with your Injen system onto the white portion of the breather hose like this.
DSCF1934.jpg

now you are ready to install the upper portion of the CAI system!!! heres what
it looks like. NOTE: Don't tighten the second clamp that holds the intake on too tight, you'll adjut the tubing later on.
DSCF1935.jpg

Now grab that rubber gromet bushing thing.... yup that one...
DSCF1937.jpg

Now go under your car where you can see the horn. Look just to the left of
it you'll see an extension sticking out that seemed to be there to SERVE a
purpose...hmmm i thinking MAZDA planned this from the get go! :wink: :twisted: twist that mofo in there like this!
DSCF1940.jpg

a better shot of what the "WHOLE" picture looks like!
DSCF1941.jpg

Now here is the few final steps to getting the intake together.... carefully slide the lower
intake in the car, and tighten that gromet to that bracket....like this
DSCF1944.jpg

once you get that snug, i found it easier by going up top to get the lower portion of the intake
to go into the upper portion of the intake. (that bulge isn't there no more) :D
DSCF1946.jpg

once done there, go back underneath the car with filter in-hand...and put the mofo on there!!
almost done!! oh the suspense! :lol:
DSCF1950.jpg

TADA!!!
DSCF1952.jpg

looks good, eh?

now here you're gonna need to adjust your MAF harness from the battery..
in a sense, the harness needs some EXTRA SLACK. just take off the clips to the harness,
should be fine. The white ones, yeah, those on the battery box.
DSCF1954.jpg

Now get everything back together as you took it apart and you should be good to go!!!

before......
DSCF1897.jpg

and after!!
DSCF1959.jpg

:klavergreg: :blue: :klavergreg:
Congradulations on the install! I hope that you all found this useful and if you all can use it, good.
The instructions that came with the system sucked big time. confusing black and white photos, and no
detail. Sticky this if you want to moderators. Next is the exhaust side! :twisted:

If there are any errors or questions, or a better way to get the stock intake out without
having to take off the tire please let me know or post up your tips! It can helps us all out in the
future or to those who will be putting in a CAI system!!! Have fun everyone!

-J

Oh, and just so you know, this install is similar if not the same way to install a cold air intake in a MazdaSpeed3. I know, because I've already done it. YEY YEY! lol

-J

Thanks bro, i just installed a MazdaSpeed CAI this saturday, but couldnt locate the BP sensor, after looking at your pics, it seems my car didnt come with one, WTF is it for?

Thanks bro, i just installed a MazdaSpeed CAI this saturday, but couldnt locate the BP sensor, after looking at your pics, it seems my car didnt come with one, WTF is it for?

Hey bro, I'm sorry for the late reply, didn't know there was a reply to my post. lol (smash)

There shouldn't be a BP sensor (what the hell does BP mean?lol) But yeah, sorry about the confusion, this install was for an 05Mazda3s 5 door hatch. Although the install is the same, just some parts of it are different. lol How'd the install work for you anyway? Updates on your go fast upgrade?

-J

LOL!, That ain't even close to to the MS3 install. I did mine a month or so ago.

in the "after" pic, you didn't connect the ducting back to the battery box. Is this necessary, or did it not fit after the install? I think it looks better without it, but I don't want any issues with my battery. Thanks for the good pics. I will be removing the "tuba" from mine this afternoon!!!

I didn't install the ducting back to the battery box becuase, if memory serves me correctly, that ducting was part of the stock intake box. it connected to it, so when you remove the stock intake; you won't have an attachment point for that ducting. Have fun modding!!

By the way, I say if memory serves me correctly since I see nothing but red "X's" at work. lol

-J

The MazdaSpeed CAI instruction lists a BP sendor and a MF sensor.

At first i put the battery ducting back on but it didnt seem right, you can put it back on if you wish using the original corner triangle part that goes over the left light. Im not sure if it needs it but the MazdaSpeed CAI instruction said to put it back on, ill put pics tonite guys.

Hey bro, I'm sorry for the late reply, didn't know there was a reply to my post. lol (smash)

There shouldn't be a BP sensor (what the hell does BP mean?lol) But yeah, sorry about the confusion, this install was for an 05Mazda3s 5 door hatch. Although the install is the same, just some parts of it are different. lol How'd the install work for you anyway? Updates on your go fast upgrade?

-J

Now what part of this is similar to what I said? Other than you installed yours.(bicker)

Just finished installing a Cosmo Racing SRI on my 3. Thanks for the pics and info on removing the "tuba". Gotta give a thumbs up for Cosmo. For $83 US their SRI works great on a budget. Not worth a dyno run, but a noticeable difference. (rockon)

Just installed my Injen CAI for my MS3 and I have a question.... how much louder is the turbo supposed to sound? At idle everything sounds ok but when I went out for a test drive and I hit 3000 RPM (when the turbo wakes up), there is a loud whistling noise in the wheel well where the filter is. I just wanna be sure that I don't have a leak at my filter because I didn't expect the turbo and blow off noises to be so loud. Thanks

Just installed my Injen CAI for my MS3 and I have a question.... how much louder is the turbo supposed to sound? At idle everything sounds ok but when I went out for a test drive and I hit 3000 RPM (when the turbo wakes up), there is a loud whistling noise in the wheel well where the filter is. I just wanna be sure that I don't have a leak at my filter because I didn't expect the turbo and blow off noises to be so loud. Thanks

the reason you got it!! i love the sound of the turbo spool!

Thats what i figured. i checked all of the connections and they looked good. Now I have to get a Boost Gauge so i can have a visual along with the sound. Thanks for the quick response

Back