Sirius installation - where to put antenna?

sheveal

I always wanted to add a Sirius radio to my '07 GT CX-9, however, after seeing the offical installation instruction, I might be re-thinking this decision. This is why. How come that installation of geniune Mazda equipment calls for a black antenna box and a wire sitting on top of the sleek CX-9 roof?
So, I did a couple of hours research and here is my conclusion about what is the best way to install antenna - install antenna in the middle as close to the rear roof edge and cover it with a matching color sharkfin. I wish CX-9 had a hole similar to Mazda3/6 which could allow a cleaner installation, but what the heck, it will still be looking much better than a black antenna in the right corner as per official instructions.
Now, if covering with a plastic sharkfin is possible and proved to be working OK, then what about actually putting an antenna in the plastic spoiler that CX-9 has on the top of the rear lift gate. Any thoughts on that?
Also did anyone actually drill a hole in CX-9 roof to permanently mounth Sirius antenna and what antenna did you use in this case?
see more at http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_FAQ.html, there is a cool pic of Mazda3

the shop that installed mine put the antenna in the dash next to the center speaker

Wanted to report back results of my Siruis installation with switch-box.
Everything, but antenna was installed as per instructions. Antenna was installed inside the rear spoiler due to unpleseant look of factory suggested installation. Radio signal reception is seemless. Very happy with the installation, looks great, actually no single wire is visible anywhere as the antenna cable was routed inside the rubber tube that goes from the rear lift gate to the body together with back stop signal wiring. It took more time than I expected - about 10 hours, but results and savings vs. going to stealer worth it.

Just so I understand correctly...They installed a Mazda Sirius kit and put the antenna inside the rear spoiler?...Reception is good with it like that!?

Thanks for the update

I just installed an XM radio and routed my ant to the back and you can eliminate the complex portion of removing most of the rear panels part. Once tailight is removed. Pull out just the rear seat cupholder thingy and if you finesse a coathanger a bit you can route the wire in from the headlights to this area then from rear door trim space route to rear door sill. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.

Andy

it does:-((( I disassembled everything as per installation instructions - pain in the butt...good idea -probably will save a good 2-3 hours of work

I know a couple of people that just sit a PORTABLE radio on the center console or the dash and get perfect reception, I guess it depends on where you live

I know a couple of people that just sit a PORTABLE radio on the center console or the dash and get perfect reception, I guess it depends on where you live

It totally depends where you live!

Sat radio works off of both satellite and terrestrial repeaters, usually if you live in a major city you'll have repeater and can get away with putting the antenna on the inside of the car.

But I ALWAYS recommend it be placed on the outside of the vehicle.

Putting the antenna in the spoiler is a good solution if you don't want to see it and it only works because it's only made out of plastic. if there is any metallic particles in it, like in tint, it'll loose some reception.

All Mazdas (that I know of) have the Sirius mounted at the dealer, so it will look/install as an add-on. The Mazda tuner is 1st gen stuff, so you you need the right antenna and splitter.

Sticking it on the back of the roof would make the most sense.

Back